Top list of medical schools for those of us who are too young to apply for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelic02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, here it is again, the one who writes the worst posts in the universe.

For those of us undergrads and possibly high school students, what are your top 3 or 4 choices of med schools?

Mine are:

1)/2) Hopkins or Wash U. in St. Louis
3)Baylor College of Medicine
4)University of Texas Medical Branch- Galveston

I still have to research other schools, though.

Members don't see this ad.

1. John's Hopkin's
2. UMASS
3. Baylor
4. UT Southwestern

1 hopkins
2 ucsf
3 baylor
4 pitt

Members don't see this ad :)
How about relax this summer and think about this in a coupla years? I'm sure a few of you all won't even be premed anymore. It'll make now much more relaxing, trust me. --Trek

Originally posted by Trek
How about relax this summer and think about this in a coupla years? I'm sure a few of you all won't even be premed anymore.
:laugh: :laugh: So wrong, but so true!

um, how do you guys know so early what your top med schools are? College changes people...at least some people :rolleyes:

Originally posted by vixen
um, how do you guys know so early what your top med schools are? College changes people...at least some people :rolleyes:

No, no vix

These high schoolers know everything there is to know about life. They have it all figured out.

Originally posted by Papa Smurf
:laugh: :laugh: So wrong, but so true!

Wrong? --Trek

Originally posted by Diogenes

No, no vix

These high schoolers know everything there is to know about life. They have it all figured out.

42. Or maybe it's 4:20. Whatever. --Trek

High schoolers,

dont listen to the naysayers...perhaps they are jealous that they didnt decide so young to be docs? Set a goal, and go for it. Dont let anyone or anything deter you.

However, weigh the costs and benefits..

To all those who want to know why I posted this thread:

I have been wanting to be a physician since kindergarten. In high school, I took all the science courses I could. However, in the long run, the classes I took in high school don't really count anyway, except as preparation for college level work. Now that in a few weeks I will officially be a first year at Baylor University, I have to start taking all the courses necessary for entrance into med school, as well as those other courses necessary. The reason why I asked about everybody's top lists is because some med schools REQUIRE certain non-science course (Hopkins has a 24-hour humanities, social sciences, and psychology requirement), whereas other schools only RECOMMEND such courses. I am trying to force people to consider additional requirements in addition to the traditional science requirements. Hopkins also requires at least 6-8 hours of calculus/statistics, according to its admissions website, whereas most med schools require 3-4 hours. From what I heard, the University of Florida has a biochemistry course requirement. So undergrads, start thinking about the courses and other requirements you need, good-luck on all your future endeavors, and may God bless you all.

PS I am determined like the bees to make this all work out, I believe that the healthcare field can always use an extra pair of hands from a person who is willing not only to work but to LEAD if need be, follow when required, and I also believe that what I am about to do is God's will.
Thank you to all of you who answered this thread, even those whom I disagreed with. In fact, I encourage argument, because I believe that each of us has a responsibility to argue in return for the small piece of God-given land that each of us occupies on any single point in time. No matter what other arguments each of you have, mine will always be for LIFE, and I hope that yours will be the same.

Thank you.

You guys crack me up -

People need goals, goals are good. For us to tell a high schooler that he/she being too uptight and that "things may change" for them in the next couple of years is patronizing, rude, and assumes a knowledge and wisdom that WE DONT HAVE EITHER.

Unless you nay-sayers are 85 years old, I'd bet one million pesos that certain things will change for YOU over the next couple of years/decades as well.

A 22 year old acting all sage and knowing is just as silly as an 18 year old thinking this far ahead...

I'm not too young to apply (how I wish I was), but since I'm in the same boat as the rest of you (tons of prerequisites to take still), I'll post.

1. Oxford (or any place in England that would be willing to let me study medicine there) :)
2. Dartmouth
3. Baylor
4. University of Pennsylvania

haha jot..nice.

who said JHU has a psych requirement? I dont think so. 24 hours of human, tru, but not a psych. req. according to MSAR.

Wow, there seems to be friction here! As I'm an undergrad too, 18 years old, in fact, I think I'll reply as well. By the way, I'm just starting my freshman year in late August.

My top 4 schools:
1) Stanford (well-known CA private school, 'nuff said)
2) UCSF (I like that their main graduate focus is on health professions like medicine and pharmacy)
3) UCLA (reputation and neat hospital)
4) UCSD (it's in San Diego, which is one of my favorite places in CA, it's close to a beach, what else do I need to say?)

Yes I am a Cali resident and I love living here! So what?

I also like these schools too but mainly from reputation and location:

1) Yale
2) Harvard
3) Dartmouth

University of Washington also has a nice reputation, but I don't think I'm going there because I don't like the way my relatives keep pushing my mother and me. Sometimes I just feel like this +pissed+ when they try to push me into something like computer science, or pharmacy :( Not that there's anything wrong with these professions, but I like the idea of being a physician, the expert, the leader, the guy who knows everything and is the most trained of any health professional.

I want more meaning in my life than building and fixing computers. I want it to be meaningful, and for the most part I find that helping people gives me peace of mind and the feeling that I've accomplished something that I can truly be proud of. I realize this may sound silly as well, but as I was completely sure of my path while I was in high school, I also swore a promise to my father on his death bed 4 months ago that I'd get into medical school. I believe that I shall, too, if not in 5 years, then maybe perhaps in 10.

Okay, blitzkrieg, I got it wrong.
24 semester hours of humanities, social and behavioral science.

source: www.hopkinsmedicine.org/admissions/apps.html

PS I presume that websites written on behalf of the organizations that sponsor them don't lie...or is it just that I'm going psycho...anyways I'm going off to school in give or take a month. God bless you all (I'm sorry if this offends the atheists, but I absolutely will NOT back down on this one).

Thank you all for your comments.