Top Pod Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doclm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the top podiatric schools that would lead into the best surgical residencies?

Is it very competitive to get into their surgical residency programs?

I looked at the School in Cali and seen that they offer a good surgical residency, so would attending that school be a benefit?

Also, what are the advantages of obtaining a PHD from the school in Chicago?

Thank you for your input :)

Members don't see this ad.

I go to NYCPM. I have been satisfied with my education there.

You should go to an open house to see the school and clinic.

Last year we had 3 grads go to Yale, one to west penn and that is all I know about.

For the last 10 years or so we've had 100% residency placement for everyone that wants a residency.

Any pod school is fine. As long as you are a go getter you will get the education and the residency that you want no matter what schol you go to.

doclm said:
Also, what are the advantages of obtaining a PHD from the school in Chicago?

Thank you for your input :)

I'm currently at SCPM (Scholl) in Chicago and it's an amazing program. The campus, RFUMS (Rosalind Franklin) is great as well. The facilities are new (housing, classrooms, clinics) and the student body is incredibly diverse. The DPM/PhD program is new but Scholl is looking to expand its research department and recently recruited Dr. David Armstrong, one of the most currently well known researchers in the field of podiatry last year. For a brief biosketch on him: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/scpm/research/armstrong.cfm. Do a PhD only if you are genuinely interested/dedicated to research. It is an extra 4-5 years to complete the second degree (you apply after your second year and must have obtained a competitive GPA during your first two years of med school). Work as hard as you can and you will get into a good residency. Podiatry is a great field to be in right now because there are currently more residencies than there are students and one can really influence where podiatry is going to be in the next 5 years.... it is growing and changing rapidly. Good luck.