Top ranked dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biofilm preventer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, with acceptance day coming up, i a apologize in advance because i will probably be asking many questions because i am honestly very lost right now, even though this is going to be one of the most exciting moments of my life.

I am extremely unsure of what to consider when choosing which dental school to attend.

i was going based off of clinic and tuition mainly, because i felt that the more patients i see in clinic, the more practice i will obtain and gain more experince by the time i become a dentist. but many students and dentists have told me that yes school practice on patients is important, the true learning comes after your first few years of dental school. also current students told me that you can honestly just practice all day and night in the lab and doesnt have to necessarily be on live patients and that can give you plenty of practice neseccary----- so these 2 factors really took my state of mind away that i should be set on going to school with the bnets clinic, because i can still become a succesful dentist by just practiging practicing and practicing more.

the next factor i was considering was tuition. i want to know if anyone has a spreadsheet or a website that says each schools cost of attandance, if i do plan on living at home. i have a sheet but i dont think it is so accurate because it tells me that touro is 378,000 but i know students are telling me its only 70-75 a year. so i want an extremely accurate sheet if anyone has one, which only takes to account tuition and fees for the school.

Also, should i take in mind the name and reputauton of the school? does that honestly make a difference. because dentists were telling me that it doesnt really matter where you go to school as long as you are a good dentist. i was opriginally thinking of NYU over a school such as Touro because of this reason.

i, i really dont know what to do and am honestly lost, can everyone please give me advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the cheapest school you can! Name does not really make a difference to your future but extra debt will

Reactions: 1 users
Go to the cheapest school you can! Name does not really make a difference to your future but extra debt will
But how much of a difference would lets say NYU over touro, which is around 80,000 more. if NYU is a better school, than wouldnt it be worth it?

Members don't see this ad :)
A wise man once said
But they are ranked:
#1 The cheapest school you get into.
#2 The next cheapest school you get into.
#3 The next, next cheapest school you get into.

Seriously though, no one cares where you went to dental school. I’ve been practicing for almost 4 years and I can count the number of times I’ve been asked by a patient where I went on my hands with fingers to spare. And as far as helping you specialize, it doesn’t matter so long as you put in the work. I’ve interviewed at competitive peds programs and there have been people from “prestigious” schools like UPenn and people from newer “startups” like Roseman all in the same interview group. Gunners are simply drawn to fancy schools like moths to a flame. Gunners tend to go on to specialize. This simple fact is behind the high specialization numbers coming out of these schools. It’s not something inherent in the education they provide (aside from a slight edge on the CBSE for OMFS applicants from med based schools).

Reactions: 9 users
Once you hear what schools you are accepted to, it will only take a few minutes to go to each schools website to pull the specific cost info and make your own chart. Whatever school has the littlest total number will be your best school.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like all the dentists and students you talked to gave you all the right advice.

Dental school teach you all the basics to be able to pass boards and be a competent provider that won't harm patients right out of dental school and make the school look bad. How good of a dentist you are right out of school will 98% be UP TO YOU. My school does not really let students place implants as a general requirement but there are a couple students I know who choose to be proactive and show a lot of interests in the oral surgery department and spend a lot of time there learning how to place implants.

I interviewed at Midwestern AZ and their clinical requirements and the stuff they get to do there was mind blowing for a predent like me at the time. But it was either Midwestern AZ @ $500,000 + interest or Colorado <$100,000.

The other 2% is the school imo. I would choose the cheapest school because you will have to deal with that debt the rest of your life. Learning will substantially increase out of school as you are forced by your employer to see a lot of patients or get big cases that schools won't give you.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, with acceptance day coming up, i a apologize in advance because i will probably be asking many questions because i am honestly very lost right now, even though this is going to be one of the most exciting moments of my life.

I am extremely unsure of what to consider when choosing which dental school to attend.

i was going based off of clinic and tuition mainly, because i felt that the more patients i see in clinic, the more practice i will obtain and gain more experince by the time i become a dentist. but many students and dentists have told me that yes school practice on patients is important, the true learning comes after your first few years of dental school. also current students told me that you can honestly just practice all day and night in the lab and doesnt have to necessarily be on live patients and that can give you plenty of practice neseccary----- so these 2 factors really took my state of mind away that i should be set on going to school with the bnets clinic, because i can still become a succesful dentist by just practiging practicing and practicing more.

the next factor i was considering was tuition. i want to know if anyone has a spreadsheet or a website that says each schools cost of attandance, if i do plan on living at home. i have a sheet but i dont think it is so accurate because it tells me that touro is 378,000 but i know students are telling me its only 70-75 a year. so i want an extremely accurate sheet if anyone has one, which only takes to account tuition and fees for the school.

Also, should i take in mind the name and reputauton of the school? does that honestly make a difference. because dentists were telling me that it doesnt really matter where you go to school as long as you are a good dentist. i was opriginally thinking of NYU over a school such as Touro because of this reason.

i, i really dont know what to do and am honestly lost, can everyone please give me advice.

my advice is to enjoy your thanksgiving weekend with family and friends...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Go to the most expensive biggest name school because everyone knows more expensive is better. Would you rather have a Hyundai or a ferrari.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users

For your tuition question - instead of asking for a comprehensive sheet of tuition / fees that most likely may not even be accurate year to year due to changing costs, why don't you just go ahead and make your own by looking on the financial aid pages of the schools you've interviewed at or are interested in? I made this a week ago and took no more than 20 minutes.

Here's the Touro one to get you started: Cost of Attendance

Last edited:
Aside from tuition maybe also consider what you want from a school. Will it help you reach your professional goals? Although I wouldn't really think about this until after Dec 2nd

Cost is obviously very important. However, I would also take geographical location/the “vibe” of the school into account. I could have went to my state school and there’s a pretty good chance I wouldn’t have been happy. If you interviewed somewhere and hated it/didn’t feel comfortable there, please don’t go there just because it is cheaper. Dental school is a tough 4 years and you don’t want to absolutely miserable if you don’t like the school and/or are isolated from family and friends. Feel free to PM me.

Dude please go to the cheapest school.. no one cares where you went to school.

Source: I’m one year and half out of school.

Reactions: 4 users
Take out the largest amount of loans possible and move to a different country after you graduate

“But the students at Expensive School X (that costs $1M) seem so much happier and they get to place TWO implants?? I feel like this will make me a better doctor when I get out??”

The disparity you're finding between your info of the school being 375k but you heard it's only 70-75k a year is probably due to a couple things.
Firstly, your first year may be 75k but each year tuition will probably rise 5% which means your 4th year will be 20% more so 90k.
Secondly, you will pay around 7% interest which means by the time you graduate your first year will have an extra 25k or so interest.
I think if you factor all these things you'll find 375 total is pretty accurate.

Also, go to the cheapest school. I am 4 years out and it doesnt matter at all where you graduate from - and I also got into a specialty.

Dental school is a tough 4 years and you don’t want to absolutely miserable if you don’t like the school and/or are isolated from family and friends.
And the average payback I’ve read is 17 years. I’d trade a less pleasant 4 years in school for a more tolerable 17 years thereafter.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Sounds like all the dentists and students you talked to gave you all the right advice.

Dental school teach you all the basics to be able to pass boards and be a competent provider that won't harm patients right out of dental school and make the school look bad. How good of a dentist you are right out of school will 98% be UP TO YOU. My school does not really let students place implants as a general requirement but there are a couple students I know who choose to be proactive and show a lot of interests in the oral surgery department and spend a lot of time there learning how to place implants.

I interviewed at Midwestern AZ and their clinical requirements and the stuff they get to do there was mind blowing for a predent like me at the time. But it was either Midwestern AZ @ $500,000 + interest or Colorado

Wow, did you get a huge scholarship from Colorado? Getting a dental degree for less than $100k gotta be fantastic.

The chief resident of our school’s grad endo program is a Colorado grad. When he was a d-student he was able to complete several molar endos by being super proactive and showing interest in that specialty.

The phrase "cost of attendance" does not mean much in regards to actual cost. "Cost of attendance" is set by the school and it is (usually) simply the maximum amount of federal loans you can take out. Schools tend to highball it dramatically so if a student really needs the extra loan money, they can get it. However, to get the true cost of a school I would make a personal sheet with tuition, fees, actual rent rates, etc. -- do not rely on the cost of attendance figure because it can be pretty misleading.

Wow, did you get a huge scholarship from Colorado? Getting a dental degree for less than $100k gotta be fantastic.

The chief resident of our school’s grad endo program is a Colorado grad. When he was a d-student he was able to complete several molar endos by being super proactive and showing interest in that specialty.

I also commute to school ~25min and it has worked really so far and have been able to keep up with everything school. The housing by the school are $1500+/month so staying at home with my parents has helped cut cost down a bit. I am hoping to graduate w/ less than $50,000. Fortunately UCSF and Michigan (which are seen as higher rank than CO) offered me huge scholarships as well which helped me "negotiate" for a higher scholarship from CO than their initial offer.

UCSF was slightly my #1 but I felt like a much lower debt would give me more freedom post graduation. The benefit outweighed a "top ranked" school and I was believe that you get what you put in as you illustrated with your endo chief resident.

• Love
I ranked my top schools by cost, location, mission statement, and student to faculty ratio. It is important to me that if I have a question or need information on a certain subject, that I can get a quick response via email or walk into anyone's office and get that information because dental school is HARD... Lol. It's also important to me to make sure that the mission statement matches my end goal. Some schools are geared to research and innovation, and some are geared toward rural dentistry, so it's important to know their mission statement to compare it to what you want to learn. But to each their own. I promise you, when you treat patients like people, they aren't going to care where you get your DMD/DDS from. And you will EARN more patients this way. I know this is from experience as a CDA.