Top reasons you didn't get in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zbombvt

Bona fide Posting Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured it would be a good idea to ask people who had previously been rejected (hopefully not this year!) if they could say what the program told them the reason was? I'm assuming the main reasons include:

1) GPA
2) GRE scores
3) Research/Clinical Experience
4) Unsuccessful match
5) Other

I think it would be really helpful, and hopefully reassure some people that sometimes things just weren't meant to be.

If you don't mind sharing scores associated with rejection (if applicable) that would also be helpful.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have one rejection so far, and I actually don't think it was because of any of those reasons. I think it might be either that A) professor I thought was taking students actually turned out not to be or B) I'm going straight through from undergrad, and despite lots of research experience and a good vita, I'm just not at the level as people with Masters and publications or significant post-bac research experience.

Just wondering, but do programs generally tell you why you've been rejected? Seems like they'd give a standard line about having too many qualified applicants.

joetro said:
I have one rejection so far, and I actually don't think it was because of any of those reasons. I think it might be either that A) professor I thought was taking students actually turned out not to be or B) I'm going straight through from undergrad, and despite lots of research experience and a good vita, I'm just not at the level as people with Masters and publications or significant post-bac research experience.

Just wondering, but do programs generally tell you why you've been rejected? Seems like they'd give a standard line about having too many qualified applicants.

I believe if you contact the professor (mentor) whom you spoke to originally about why you got rejected you aren't as likely to get the "qualifed applicants" line.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought about that, but it could be that he never even saw my file if he wasn't on the admissions committee, or if he had so many others to read that mine wouldn't be memorable. I'll just keep guessing.

I can tell you this much:

There are a couple of schools in which I applied to that were not directly related to my research but I *thought* I could make a successful argument about how my previous work would nicely compliment the work in those professors' labs. In my case, I applied to these programs more for location rather than based on the mentorship match.

Needless to say, I didn't even get offered an interview at these places. Not to say that you can't change specializations when you apply to graduate school (or even afterwards)- I mean I've known people who have done it. It just wasn't a viable route for me- which I am assuming is because it wasn't very genuine on my part. I think the admissions committee saw through my feeble attempt at making it sound like I was a match when my experiences in one specialized area would suggest otherwise.

Just something to keep in mind. Good luck!

This is my third year applying to clinical psychology programs. I have been working for 3+ years at a nonprofit that specializes in education research.

My first year applying to schools, I didn't really know what I was doing (I didn't contact professors beforehand or even get a good idea of professors' research interests). In addition, my personal statement was fairly weak. Needless to say, I didn't even get any interviews.

My second year, I had a better idea of what I was doing, but I was only invited to one interview. I was waitlisted at this school and then rejected. When I emailed professors to find out why I wasn't invited for interviews, they pretty much all said that it was because, although I have research experience, it isn't directly related to the areas of study that they are researching.

My advice to people who do not get in is to pursue opportunities to do the work you find most interesting and exciting and to make connections with professionals who are working in this area.

This year so far I have had basically the same experience as clinpsychgirl. There were already some schools I didn't get interviews at and it was the same deal where I was really stretching how my research interests would fit with the professor, more because I wanted to go to that school. I also had a phone interview as a pre screening deal with another prof and although it went very well and all, she informed me this week that although I was a great applicant, and she was impressed with my work, she has decided to invite someone else to interview with her (it actually sounded like she could only take one person to interview) who's research interests are slightly more related to hers. And actually she has began to take her research in the direction that mine is already in, and she thought that could have worked well, but I guess the other person was more closely interested in her past research.
I get the feeling that these days there are so many really qualified applicants with great research experience so the profs can actually find someone who is extremely qualified and their interests and previous experience are exactly what the prof is researching. And although its disappointing to be rejected anywhere, you have to think that if they didn't think you would fit in well there, then it is not somewhere you should have gone anyway. (At least that is what I have to tell myself :) ). And anyway you can only go to one school so hopefully we can all get into one, and that one is the school we should be going to anyway.

ok, well now i feel like Im definately not getting in.
In my personal statement i indicated that i was interested in so and so's research and thats why i applied to that school. Well, none coincided with my previous research.

I really dont get why i should have to decide to be interested in only one research topic! I have many research interests. there is no MOST for me! im getting frustrated- can you tell. This is getting ridiculous

mmonte4 said:
In my personal statement i indicated that i was interested in so and so's research and thats why i applied to that school. Well, none coincided with my previous research.

I really dont get why i should have to decide to be interested in only one research topic! I have many research interests. there is no MOST for me! im getting frustrated- can you tell. This is getting ridiculous

It is a bit ridiculous, but you have to understand that these programs get approximately 400 applications (many of which are from highly qualified applicants) and can only choose a handful to come in for an interview.

Ratch1980 said:
It is a bit ridiculous, but you have to understand that these programs get approximately 400 applications (many of which are from highly qualified applicants) and can only choose a handful to come in for an interview.

Ratch1980 - you must have such drive and motivation to be able to apply 3 years in a row. Did you just know for sure this was what you wanted to do, and would keep applying until you got in? This is the first year I have tried to apply and although we are not close to done with the process it is becoming more realistic to me that its possible I won't get in anywhere. Even having interviews does not assure admission. I just think it is so great that you keep at it, and I sincerely hope you are able to get into a program this year, it certainly sounds like you deserve it. (and from previous posts it also sounds like you are getting quite a few interviews, so congrats!)
I guess this is what you have to face when you apply to a program that is harder to get into than medical school!

mmonte4 said:

I'm with you. As a sophomore in college I got involved with research that seemed interesting and gave undergrads a chance to get involed. I was 19 and deciding whether I really wanted to major in psychology, not thinking about how my research involvement might influence my opportunities as a post-doc a decade later. However, after college I had connections in the same field from the research I had done as an undergrad and accepted an RA job doing the same line of research. Now I'm finding that I haven't convinced schools I have other interests. This whole process is just very, very frustrating!

I think these are the top reasons that many people get rejected from programs:
1) Dumb Luck
2) Research Match
3) Funding Issues

Annoyingly, these are uncontrollable.

My advisor had over 50 applicants list her as their first choice to work with. She showed us who she deemed to be the top 12 applicants-- they were virtually indistiguishable in terms of experience, GPA, GREs, and LORs. That's why you cast a large net and apply to 12+ schools, and have a backup pan.

Yeah, I would attribute my past rejections to my lack of understanding about what applying to grad school is all about.

1. I didn't contact profs to see if they were taking students

2. I relied on program websites to get info about profs, rather than checking out their recent publications and stuff. This resulted in, for example, applying to work with someone who had passed away several years earlier but was still listed as a mentor on their website!

3. Misunderstanding the following: in my opinion, grad school admissions are not about intelligence, academic ability, or promise. They are about previously learned skills that can further your prof's research. It is essentially a hiring process in which they are trying to find someone who can do the (pre-established) work that they are trying to get done.

4. Not understanding the crucial importance of research match (see #3)

Despite my incompetent bumbling, I lucked out and ended up in an excellent program with an excellent, well-loved advisor. But I very nearly shot myself in the foot, thanks to the above.

psy86 said:
Yeah, I would attribute my past rejections to my lack of understanding about what applying to grad school is all about.

1. I didn't contact profs to see if they were taking students

2. I relied on program websites to get info about profs, rather than checking out their recent publications and stuff. This resulted in, for example, applying to work with someone who had passed away several years earlier but was still listed as a mentor on their website!

3. Misunderstanding the following: in my opinion, grad school admissions are not about intelligence, academic ability, or promise. They are about previously learned skills that can further your prof's research. It is essentially a hiring process in which they are trying to find someone who can do the (pre-established) work that they are trying to get done.

4. Not understanding the crucial importance of research match (see #3)

Despite my incompetent bumbling, I lucked out and ended up in an excellent program with an excellent, well-loved advisor. But I very nearly shot myself in the foot, thanks to the above.

I think this is exactly right!

I think along with professor interests, a good reason why you didn't get in could be the result of your resume not matching your stated interests.

For example, if you spend your time after college working with schizophrenic adolescents, it doesn't matter if you claim what you really want to do is work with PTSD patients... you'll just have a tough time selling it.

I find myself in a situation where I worked primarily in psychopharmacology and although I won't attribute this to the reason I'm not receiving interviews, I think it could be playing a role. If you want to focus on developmental psychopathology, drug trials aren't ideal.

Any thoughts? Examples?

Ratch1980 said:
This is my third year applying to clinical psychology programs. I have been working for 3+ years at a nonprofit that specializes in education research.

My first year applying to schools, I didn't really know what I was doing (I didn't contact professors beforehand or even get a good idea of professors' research interests). In addition, my personal statement was fairly weak. Needless to say, I didn't even get any interviews.

My second year, I had a better idea of what I was doing, but I was only invited to one interview. I was waitlisted at this school and then rejected. When I emailed professors to find out why I wasn't invited for interviews, they pretty much all said that it was because, although I have research experience, it isn't directly related to the areas of study that they are researching.

My advice to people who do not get in is to pursue opportunities to do the work you find most interesting and exciting and to make connections with professionals who are working in this area.

This is my 2nd time to apply. I was in the same boat the time I applied, 1 interview with no acceptance. I have good GRE scores and GPA, but needed more research experience including presentations and publications. I have been completing cognitive neuroscience researce for the last 2 years and I am also completing my MS this year taking classes in neuropsych and cogneuro to make a strong argument to work with specific professors conducting neuropsych research. I applied to 5 schools this year and have received 3 interviews so far. My suggestion is to pursue your interests as fully as possible, in research, clinical experience, and academically. You don't have to complete a masters degree, but taking a few graduate courses can stregthen your application. Whatever you do, don't give up!

This may be true but I wouldn't reccomend it!

One professor was nice enough to write me a personal e-mail detailing why he didn't select me for interviews.

Basically he said that I wasn't offered an interview because the clinical match wasn't there. An interesting thing he noted was that my desire to work in a private clinic eventually didn't match the philosophy of the school. I guess I should have emphasized the desire to teach in addition to this practice.

I definitely believe that some schools are more research based than others though, and it's important to keep this in mind based on your career goals.

zbombvt said:
One professor was nice enough to write me a personal e-mail detailing why he didn't select me for interviews.

Basically he said that I wasn't offered an interview because the clinical match wasn't there. An interesting thing he noted was that my desire to work in a private clinic eventually didn't match the philosophy of the school. I guess I should have emphasized the desire to teach in addition to this practice.

I definitely believe that some schools are more research based than others though, and it's important to keep this in mind based on your career goals.
That's interesting because I also got a three page explanantion of why I wasn't invited for an interview (apparently I was next in line to be invited). The main reason was that I was too research/academic oriented! This was a Phd. program. I couldn't believe it! This school was rated a 5 out of seven for being research oriented (7 being the most research oriented). The same day I was rejected from this school I got an interview offer from a "2" (highly clinically oriented school). Go figure. I have to agree that there must be some element of luck in this process.