Top schools offering online degrees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

here2learn

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any top universities that offer an entirely online bachelor's degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There could be, I wouldn't know. But why would you ever want to do an online BS degree? I think doing such a thing would significantly undermine a med school application, and the quality of your education. College isn't just about taking classes, it's also about the educational experience and interaction. Maybe in some circumstances and situations (and career plans) an online degree could be suitable, but I highly doubt that's the case for med school...

There could be, I wouldn't know. But why would you ever want to do an online BS degree? I think doing such a thing would significantly undermine a med school application, and the quality of your education. College isn't just about taking classes, it's also about the educational experience and interaction. Maybe in some circumstances and situations (and career plans) an online degree could be suitable, but I highly doubt that's the case for med school...

Because of geographical restrictions and lack of transportation, my cousin has access only to a lowly rural community college where she plans to take all the labs and science courses. But strategically she thinks if she gets an online degree from a top university, in addition to her brick and mortar labs, it will help her.

that actually could be a really cool story - "in spite of all my challenging circumstances, I went above and beyond what was offered me and capitalized on a difficult situation" - med schools love a good story, if she couples that amazing perseverance and ability to overcome with some strong leadership and extracurriculars, I think that could be an outstanding application.

ec's that serve the underserved could be particularly exciting ("in spite of having difficult circumstances, i became a academic leader and will use my overcomingness to help others to overcome themselves")

I think it's all about how the online degree integrates into a bigger story, so as to show off her personal qualities and values. :thumbup:

but to be safe, I'd call med schools to make sure - explain the situation and ask about viable solutions...

Because of geographical restrictions and lack of transportation, my cousin has access only to a lowly rural community college where she plans to take all the labs and science courses. But strategically she thinks if she gets an online degree from a top university, in addition to her brick and mortar labs, it will help her.
What's a top university to you? Why does that matter?

What is a geographical restriction? She can't move?

Lack of transportation - buy a bike, a car, or take public transportation.

Lack of money - take time off, get a job, take out loans, apply for scholarships

Your lame comments show a lack of understanding of how the system works. Community college plus online classes won't accomplish anything. In any field. You can't get a recognized college education from Amazon. A class here or there, fine, but not more.

If your cousin wants a good chance at medical school I recommend she figure out a university to transfer to which will pay a good amount of her tuition. And that she also avoids taking all of her science courses at a community college try to get chemistry and biology done but the rest to be left done at the 4 year.
More or less I don't believe any accredited school offers online degree's and further more I believe one of the requirements of medical schools is to have a degree from an accredited university. So tough luck, looks like your cousin will actually be forced to go out into the world of reality.

I don't believe any accredited school offers online degree's.

I know many, many accredited universities that offer online degrees.
But I need to know if there's a top school that does offer one.

I know many, many accredited universities that offer online degrees.
But I need to know if there's a top school that does offer one.

Name one. Do know btw that Phoenix or Devry university are not accredited university in the eyes of higher learning institutes.

Are there any top universities that offer an entirely online bachelor's degree?

harvard extension school... if after one year you have a B+ average you can take half your classes at harvard college, thats what i do, you have to take some classes on campus though

That's the Online MS in Mechanical Engineering by Stanford. I need to know if there is a top school offering an undergraduate degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
harvard extension school... if after one year you have a B+ average you can take half your classes at harvard college, thats what i do, you have to take some classes on campus though

Nope, Harvard is not completely online. Besides they are axing that program entirely, from what the Dean told me.

Name one. Do know btw that Phoenix or Devry university are not accredited university in the eyes of higher learning institutes.

UVA offers a engineering distance learning degree. It may not be Harvard, however, it is usually ranked one of the best public schools in the country.

Also, UoP and DevU are technically accredited, if you transfer from a UoP or DevU your matriculating school would be hardpressed to deny you credit for the classes you have taken.

UVA offers a engineering distance learning degree. It may not be Harvard, however, it is usually ranked one of the best public schools in the country.

Thank you! First useful post I have encountered on SDN. The rest was just "noise."

I find that asinine but regardless. That's a graduate program.

You said there are no accredited schools offering completely online degrees. I gave you the example of Stanford which offers a completely online MS degree in Mechanical Engineering.

We need to get over our prejudices with respect to online education.

I'd just like to say something about distance learning programs.

They are for the most part targeted towards people who are currently working and don't have the time nor resources to go to a brick and mortar school. The top schools are top because they try to have all their students graduate in four years. (the time it takes to graduate are taken into account in rankings) Most higher ranked universities would not offer distanced or online education because it is targeted at a population that almost assuredly would not graduate in four years. That would lower their prestige/ranking.

It is all about advertising.

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks. I just need names of top schools that offer undergraduate online degrees. All I have is the University of Virginia's engineering degree but that's not a top school. It's a very highly respectable school though. I'd appreciate getting some concrete info. Thanx.

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks. I just need names of top schools that offer undergraduate online degrees. All I have is the University of Virginia's engineering degree but that's not a top school. It's a very highly respectable school though. I'd appreciate getting some concrete info. Thanx.

hahaha-wut.jpg

University of Virginia, for 2011
2nd Best Public University
25th Best Public/Private National University

How far up the list do you want to go?

Ok, sit down and try to hear this out from my position. Why would an Adcom want someone who obtained a degree online?

Nope, Harvard is not completely online. Besides they are axing that program entirely, from what the Dean told me.

when are they doing that?.. that's not what they told me

Not interested in engineering at UVA. Does UVA have "easier" programs?

Not interested in engineering at UVA. Does UVA have "easier" programs?

Go to UVa's website. Why are you trusting a bunch of strangers? You can figure all of this stuff out by yourself.

Go to UVa's website. Why are you trusting a bunch of strangers? You can figure all of this stuff out by yourself.

Because not all strangers on here are jerks. I would never have known of UVA if it weren't for this forum.

Keep insulting posts coming. They tell me that there is way too much "noise" and discouraging information here, so it's probably not worth hanging out here. I am also not looking forward to being colleagues with people like you.

Keep insulting posts coming. They tell me that there is way too much "noise" and discouraging information here, so it's probably not worth hanging out here. I am also not looking forward to being colleagues with people like you.

Then by all means, take your ball and go home. No one will miss your various troll-y threads that provide no new or relevant information to anyone involved. Nothing would make my day more than for the posts in this thread to send you somewhere else to play this game.

Your threads are ridiculous! Lol
Can you blame us?

What are the odds that this guy is for real?

Your sentence after that one is irrelevant based on what you've said. That said, what do you want? We've told you that "top" schools don't offer online undergraduate degrees...And like Musclemass said, what's a top school to you? UVA is top 25, you want higher? PHYSICALLY GO THERE.

/thread

HAHA YEA BRO I AGREE! That's what I've been sitting here saying to myself as every SINGLE thread I make gets flamed. Me and you post these legit threads asking serious questions and all we do is get flammed!! If these are suppose to be the smarter college kids I can't even image the kids majoring in underwater basketweaving!! Remember bro this what it is:

First they say this is crazy
Then they say this is interesting
then they say I always told you so

!!!!!! +1 for getting flammed when making serious legitimate threads !!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::idea:

HAHA YEA BRO I AGREE! That's what I've been sitting here saying to myself as every SINGLE thread I make gets flamed. Me and you post these legit threads asking serious questions and all we do is get flammed!! If these are suppose to be the smarter college kids I can't even image the kids majoring in underwater basketweaving!! Remember bro this what it is:

!!!!!! +1 for getting flammed when making serious legitimate threads !!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::idea:

+pity+

Sock_Puppet_3_small.jpg

/sniff

I smell a sock puppet. Would any one mind comparing their IP addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.