top ten programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdn2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Great Pumpkin, I want to know which 10 programs would you consider to be the top ten in the country. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Tough question. There is not any great way to compare programs that I know of. And, many programs excel at specific areas of path not necessarily at all things. But, I will tell you some of the programs I hear the most about.

In no paticular order

Stanford
UCLA
Univ of Washington
Mayo
Univ of Mich
Hopkins
Mass General
Emory
UVA
Cleveland Clinic

But, let me warn you the best program is an individual thing. I wouldn't trade my program for any of these or any other in the country. There is only one reason I can think of to only wanting to go to schools like these and that is if you want to be a big named academic research person. Otherwise any of the mid to large sized university based programs will give you all the opportunities you could ask for in path.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. MacGuyver
2. Northern Exposure
3. Simpsons
4. X-Files
5. Survivor Season 1
6. Michael Baden's Autopsy/ New Detectives / Forensic Files, etc.
7. Absolutely Fabulous
8. Trading Spaces
9. Blind Date
10. Saturday Night Live

In Order...

Yes I am anti-ranking today.

Mindy

Let me tell you CF, I *CRIED* when MacGyver (excuse my original mispelling) went off the air!

Though "L'il Lisa Lionheart" is a personal fav of mine...

BTW, has anyone seen scopemonkey in these parts?

Mindy

Originally posted by Mindy
Let me tell you CF, I *CRIED* when MacGyver (excuse my original mispelling) went off the air!

Though "L'il Lisa Lionheart" is a personal fav of mine...

BTW, has anyone seen scopemonkey in these parts?

Mindy

I felt the same way when Police Squad was 86'd. :(

When Glimore Girls bites it I'll cry again, but the tears will be tears of joy. :clap:

And... nope-- no Scope, no Monkey.

Originally posted by GreatPumpkin

In no paticular order

Stanford
UCLA
Univ of Washington
Mayo
Univ of Mich
Hopkins
Mass General
Emory
UVA
Cleveland Clinic

What happened to Vandy?

Sure put in Vandy and take out your choice, hehe. They are all great programs. Ranking really is stupid. Because the best program is an individual selection, no ranking system can take that into account.

Originally posted by GreatPumpkin
Sure put in Vandy and take out your choice, hehe. They are all great programs. Ranking really is stupid. Because the best program is an individual selection, no ranking system can take that into account.

I was REALLY hoping you'd say that because I'm very interested in the pathology/breast cancer research there!

Hi, I'm a DO and I matched in Pathology in NYC. I think the best program is an individual thing. It depends on where you want to live and what you expect to get out of a program. Interviewing really helps. The programs that I wasnt interested in were great and some of the "Ivy" programs were a nightmare
Hope this helps

Originally posted by pathdr2b
What happened to Vandy?

Vandy is not as strong as most of the programs on that list, I can assure you of that. Most of the people they have trained in the past are solid and become legit pathologists, but there have been a history of some bad trainees in the instutition that has ebbed away its reputation. A few years back I heard one year they had to kick out 2 residents because of poor performance (ie. calling malignant things benign on frozens, wrong dx, etc with legal problems to boot.)

As far as research is concerned, it's decent at Vandy but I wouldn't put it in the same breath as the likes of Hopkins and UCSF. It's mad old school here, so that you know.

Originally posted by Renovar
Vandy is not as strong as most of the programs on that list, I can assure you of that. It's mad old school here, so that you know.

Thanks for the info. Because of the work of Dr. Page and others in the Path department I thought Vandy would be a good place for me. After speaking with a number of people and realizing that I no longer want to live in the south, I've changed my mind completely.

I'm now resigned to be in the DC area for family and personal reasons. Yes there's Hopkins, I but I was't very comfortable when I visited there looking at fellowship opportunities as a premed (of course, getting accepted to Hopkins Med is an entirely different issue.:rolleyes: )

So I''ll be in the pathology dept at UMaryland (on a research fellowship and taking courses toward the PhD in Path) because quite frankly that's the place I feel most comfortable. And it also appears based on what many of you have said in the Path forum, that education is what you make it. Do well wherever you are and you'll be fine is the message I've heard. Now all I'll have to do is get accepted into medical school there as well...............

Not to bash Vandy, I think it's still considered the among the 15-20 best in the country... just trying to say that its time in the top 10 is long gone.