Topics in OMFS Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMaxFace

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all -

I pose this question to students, residents, providers, and anyone interested in OMFS.

What are some subjects from the world of OMFS that tend to cause confusion and why? Consider topics in trauma, pathology, dentoalveolar, orthognathics, cleft/craniofacial, reconstruction, etc.

Thank you,

OMaxFace

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
First off, I'm a huge fan of your Insta account, click through it every day so I really appreciate the work you put into it.

I feel like as an intern turning second year, my favorite posts have been about the classicly pimp-able materials, aka the different types of ameloblastoma you just did, layers of the face, location of marginal mandibular, etc. Easy enough things that I'd love to see pop up every once in awhile as a refresher is basic anatomy that you haven't thought of since dental school anatomy class (branches of maxillary artery, complete trigeminal nerve pathway, fissures/foramen/etc. of the orbit). I get absolutely roasted on a lot of those questions 'cause I just haven't thought of those structures that in-depth since Anatomy five years ago, and if you read Surgical Approaches before the sx they only touch on surgical anatomy.

Thanks again for all your great work! Everyone in my class loves your page.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If my assumption is correct, i believe you are looking for topics to discuss on your IG Account? (Just providing granularity for others)

Correct. This is a way to gauge what topics are in demand.

First off, I'm a huge fan of your Insta account, click through it every day so I really appreciate the work you put into it.

I feel like as an intern turning second year, my favorite posts have been about the classicly pimp-able materials, aka the different types of ameloblastoma you just did, layers of the face, location of marginal mandibular, etc. Easy enough things that I'd love to see pop up every once in awhile as a refresher is basic anatomy that you haven't thought of since dental school anatomy class (branches of maxillary artery, complete trigeminal nerve pathway, fissures/foramen/etc. of the orbit). I get absolutely roasted on a lot of those questions 'cause I just haven't thought of those structures that in-depth since Anatomy five years ago, and if you read Surgical Approaches before the sx they only touch on surgical anatomy.

Thanks again for all your great work! Everyone in my class loves your page.

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it.
I'll see exactly where you are coming from and will start incorporating some of those topics soon.

Big fan (I'll leave my own Insta here @titaniumandteeth) I think some of the most confusing topics I've enocuntered have been layers of dissection (Platys/SMAS, Investing etc) ,and clasic pimpables like Trach layers, ad vessels. Nerves/blood supply of TMJ, Sequence of a panface, tyes of Salivary gland tumors etc.

Reactions: 5 users