Torn Rotator Cuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lals

Loner/Rebel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that this may not be the appropriate place to solicit medical advice, and nor do I seek it. However, I fear I may have recently torn my rotator cuff and am anxiously awaiting my appointment with an Orthapedist so I may get an MRI (I have already had x-rays, which were negative). In the mean time, my question is simply thus: in the case of a minor tear, may the muscle/tendon heal to normal strength without surgery, given enough time? Again, I realize this forum is no substitute for visiting a physician, but if anyone can offer any information while I wait, it is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i was surprised that this wasn't taken off the forums. so since it is still here i will reply.

although i have little to go on like a clinical history (demographics, symptoms, past treatments, pmh, ROS, physical, etc.), i will give you the basic treatment for most shoulder injuries.

if you fall into the young (<40) patient with history of a traumatic injury to the shoulder, symptoms are excruciating pain especially at night, and you are unable to lift your arm above your head, then you may have an acute rotator cuff tear and that should probably be fixed surgically.

if you do not fall into the acute traumatic tear of the rotator cuff or as most patients call it "the rotary cup", then the initial treatment will be therapy. unless the MRI shows some major retracted tear.

so there you go, you will likely get a PT script and some NSAIDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.