Tornado crushes William Carey COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any updates?

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

It seems they are moving equipment to University of Southern Mississippi and we will try to have classes there. Still no word on logistics and the Ps and Qs of everything but we will get more info after our meeting today. Be chill you will hear all about it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
So they are moving our classes to a temporary location at University of southern Mississippi. Much of our classes will be online and they are still working on tests. The first years are going to be the hardest hit by this. They were able to salvage some of the cadavers so the so they can kind of have an anatomy class but it is going to be rough. The COM is a total loss and is going to take years to rebuild. As for the 2nd year class we are almost out of the nest and they really seem like they want us to focus on boards. They really dont have a plan for us but much of our stuff is gonna be online and self study. We are playing it by ear. We restart class on friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
So they are moving our classes to a temporary location at University of southern Mississippi. Much of our classes will be online and they are still working on tests. The first years are going to be the hardest hit by this. They were able to salvage some of the cadavers so the so they can kind of have an anatomy class but it is going to be rough. The COM is a total loss and is going to take years to rebuild. As for the 2nd year class we are almost out of the nest and they really seem like they want us to focus on boards. They really dont have a plan for us but much of our stuff is gonna be online and self study. We are playing it by ear. We restart class on friday.

Y'all had mandatory attendance before that right?

What is the news about entering students? Will the school be rebuilt or is the school essentially going to be focused only on graduating the current students?

Y'all had mandatory attendance before that right?

Yes. Not sure exactly how it is going to work but more freedom seems to be in the work so we dont get ******ed and fail boards... to bad it took a tornado and the worst stress ever for this to be figured out but hopefully students and faculty are on the same page about priorities here.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the news about entering students? Will the school be rebuilt or is the school essentially going to be focused only on graduating the current students?

Entering students will well enter. They will be apart of the inaugural rebuilding class i guess.
Yeah the school is planing on rebuilding but this is going to take a ton of time. Pictures are helpful but dont do it justice. The damage is bad and the majority of the place will be starting from scratch..... so

woot woot! William Careys gonna rebuild and add a new old school!!

Reactions: 3 users
Entering students will well enter. They will be apart of the inaugural rebuilding class i guess.
Yeah the school is planing on rebuilding but this is going to take a ton of time. Pictures are helpful but dont do it justice. The damage is bad and the majority of the place will be starting from scratch..... so

They're going to go deep into that waitlist this year and possibly interview more students with the recent events. The good news is that the extra nonrefundable deposits will help w/ the rebuilding process.

Reactions: 3 users
They're going to go deep into that waitlist this year and possibly interview more students with the recent events. The good news is that the extra nonrefundable deposits will help w/ the rebuilding process.

A little cart before the horse there. I doubt it will change much in way of applicants.

A little cart before the horse there. I doubt it will change much in way of applicants.

I think what I'm trying to make is that nobody wants to have their first year being in a construction projection. Competitive applicants who could have gone to WCU will choose other schools due to the recent events, which means that WCU will go deep into their waitlist. The positive thing is the extra nonrefundable deposit fees.

I think what I'm trying to make is that nobody wants to have their first year being in a construction projection. Competitive applicants who could have gone to WCU will choose other schools due to the recent events, which means that WCU will go deep into their waitlist. The positive thing is the extra nonrefundable deposit fees.

What exactly is the point of this post? You're kicking the school when it's down after something that they didn't have any control over happened. Even if you believe it to be true, try and have a bit more class about the whole thing.

Reactions: 4 users
What exactly is the point of this post? You're kicking the school when it's down after something that they didn't have any control over happened. Even if you believe it to be true, try and have a bit more class about the whole thing.

How am I kicking down the school? I'm only voicing my disproval of the school trying to salvage their net revenue for this year and next year instead of calling for help from other institutions in order to provide the best medical training for their current students.

How about providing some options for the students instead of locking them into a terrible situation in order to save a few bucks?

Not going to lie, I can't imagine this being seriously what they expect to do. There's no way they're going to be ready to take a starting class in 6 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an "extra-ordinary" circumstance. It has happened before. My own dean sent out an email saying that we would funny cooperate with whatever decision WCU made in the future to help out without any question.
But, like I mentioned earlier, WCU has A LOT to do and I wouldn't blame them if the DO students took the back street for a week or two. There's a lot to do. I think the fire department will be coming today to assess the damages and deem the campus uninhabitable.
Yes, but it's not a case that requires all 200-300+ students be redirected to another medical school. That would be the VERY last option and usually only for schools that shut down, even then, it's not guaranteed.

They will put a rush on the building project and it will get done QUICK.

How am I kicking down the school? I'm only voicing my disproval of the school trying to salvage their net revenue for this year and next year instead of calling for help from other institutions in order to provide the best medical training for their current students.

How about providing some options for the students instead of locking them into a terrible situation in order to save a few bucks?

Not feasible..WCU can't MAKE schools accept their students, other schools have to offer and I doubt it would happen that way anyway.

They will put a rush on the building project and it will get done QUICK.

Not feasible..WCU can't MAKE schools accept their students, other schools have to offer and I doubt it would happen that way anyway.
I feel like they could rebuild quickly.

If this occurred at a LCME accredited school would other LCME schools be obligated to take in the students or would it be a similar thing where the schools would offer if they felt compelled to?

Best of luck to anyone involved in this situation. Really sucks. They will rebuild quickly I am sure. Never doubt the power of money! Also, this will make one hell of a personal statement story when it comes to apply for residency!
"Survivor: How I didn't bomb the boards after a f*****g tornado leveled my school."

Reactions: 4 users
I dont think many of you guys understand what would have happened to us if we did get transferred to other schools. At best we would have to wait until the start of a new year and had to figure out housing on next to no money. Lost tuition and a whole year of work. For some schools would demand we start over at year 1 and lost everything. For all of us it would have damaged our chances at residency, how would they know we arent just damaged goods being tossed for school to school. Good luck explaining that away if you had to start over. Oh I see you had to start over from 2nd year why is that? Umm because my hosting school said so...

Truth is you guys Aoa/ Coca are nothing like the LCME which protect schools AND students in this situation. Coca would have left it up to the hosting school how to treat us.
So what Turner and the other Deans have decided is the best option on the table for us. Now is it the best for the incoming classes... no but they can withdraw and try again if they want to. It seems the benefit of doing things this way declines as you go down hill. Its best for 4th and 3rd year students nothing really changes. 2nd years get to focus on boards and have some minor class struggles left. 1st years have the semester of hell ahead. Incoming class... i have no idea but it isnt going to be pleasant. Master program I have no idea. For some starting over would be a good course of action but for most no its not.

Dont know for sure but individual schools get final say in just about everything. Coca doesnt have much power really.

Behind these pixels you are a stranger to me, but also behind these pixels is a med student whose been thrown into a ridiculously challenging situation to say the least. As a second yr student myself, I feel plenty stressed and scared of Step1 that's looming ahead, without any of the unforeseeable circumstances. Just wanna personally send my best wishes to you @WorldChanger36 and your classmates. May you all be well.

Behind these pixels you are a stranger to me, but also behind these pixels is a med student whose been thrown into a ridiculously challenging situation to say the least. As a second yr student myself, I feel plenty stressed and scared of Step1 that's looming ahead, without any of the unforeseeable circumstances. Just wanna personally send my best wishes to you @WorldChanger36 and your classmates. May you all be well.

Ummm... thanks. Best of luck to you also.

Dont know for sure but individual schools get final say in just about everything. Coca doesnt have much power really.

Idk, I doubt COCA will let students enroll a school that is functionally disabled at the moment.

Though I suppose if there is adequate facilities at the U Mississipi campus then it's fine.

Last edited:
Idk, I doubt COCA will let students enroll a school that is functionally disabled at the moment.

Though I suppose if there is adequate facilities at the U Mississipi campus then it's fine.

Again, dont really know as this has really never happened to a DO school before. We are the testing ground, scary right.
USM is a state funded liberal arts college. While it is bigger than Carey it cant maintain us permanently. We have other arrangements with a few churches and the local hospitals.
Is it adequate? No idea. We will find out wont we.

I've no doubt they will be back on their feet in no time. DOs have to put up with lots of suboptimal cr@ppy situations from bad facilities to bad rotations, not to mention bad GPAs or MCATs. Classes run out of a garage aren't much different from typical DO facilities. We're used to overcoming obstacles.

From the letter from Dr. Weir, it sounds like things although not optimal, are going to be relatively stable at USM. They offered their old Nursing school facilities to WCUCOM for the time being and are housing some students that were displaced in their dorms.

Also it seems that the school was very well insured, interviews are continuing as scheduled on Monday, and although the MS1 and MS2 classes have a pretty big adjustment to undergo, the school is committed to rebuilding. At this point, it's more an issue of replacing other resources, like computer systems, textbooks, clothing and vehicles.

From the letter from Dr. Weir, it sounds like things although not optimal, are going to be relatively stable at USM. They offered their old Nursing school facilities to WCUCOM for the time being and are housing some students that were displaced in their dorms.

Also it seems that the school was very well insured, interviews are continuing as scheduled on Monday, and although the MS1 and MS2 classes have a pretty big adjustment to undergo, the school is committed to rebuilding. At this point, it's more an issue of replacing other resources, like computer systems, textbooks, clothing and vehicles.

Wcucom was never on my radar but I'm glad they are going to continue to take students. Never like to see bad things happen to those who are in the pursuit of ultimately giving back to others. Fight on WCU COM we're pulling for y'all!

Again, dont really know as this has really never happened to a DO school before. We are the testing ground, scary right.
USM is a state funded liberal arts college. While it is bigger than Carey it cant maintain us permanently. We have other arrangements with a few churches and the local hospitals.
Is it adequate? No idea. We will find out wont we.
Do you know whether the suspension of mandatory classes will be permanent?

From what I have heard the buildings should be fixed within a year?(not sure how true that is)

Where will incoming students have their classes?

Thanks ;)

Man this hurts. I can't imagine how this feels for not just those enrolled but those also coming in this year. Do you think there might be temporary transfers set up? Or if WCU might defer the currently accepted to rebuild that community?
the school is interviewing for the next year. classes resumed about a little less than a week after the tornado. There have been changes to the attendance policy.

the school is interviewing for the next year. classes resumed about a little less than a week after the tornado. There have been changes to the attendance policy.
How long will the attendance policy be changed for? or is it permanent? Thanks Anthony

How long will the attendance policy be changed for? or is it permanent? Thanks Anthony

Nope not permanent. Very temporary. Will be back to standard policy in August. The only reason they changed the policy was pressure from higher ups, fear that students may be harmed/ not be able to catch up and for scheduling reasons.

Nope not permanent. Very temporary. Will be back to standard policy in August. The only reason they changed the policy was pressure from higher ups, fear that students may be harmed/ not be able to catch up and for scheduling reasons.

So, during this challenging time they suspend the mandatory attendance requirement, because it might cause students to fall behind. But in the absence of tornado damage, they'll fall behind if the don't go to class.

So, during this challenging time they suspend the mandatory attendance requirement, because it might cause students to fall behind. But in the absence of tornado damage, they'll fall behind if the don't go to class.

Yep, for the most part, though they gave us the wave of attendance so they we second years can have a bit more time to prep for boards. It was also so we could better adapt and a good chunk of our classes were just recorded audio so we could catch up.

But yes I know... No I dont understand it. They tell me I have to be some place or do something I do it every other minute boards boards boards.

How is everyone doing at the school?