Toronto Dental Hygienist to Dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know there are a few threads out there with the same topic. However, I'm looking for some specific Toronto/Ontario/Canada information regarding how a RDH can make the switch into Dentistry in the most efficient manner (time wise).

My fiance is an RDH and she does not have any bachelors degree. She went to an accredited dental hygiene school and has >2 yrs of DH experience but that's about it.

Has anyone (in Canada, GTA area preferably) done this sort of thing before or is currently doing so? Can you please share your experiences? Are there any shorter DDS/DMD programs in the states? I've googled the #@%* out of this but theres just too much out there.
Please no hating, keep it to yourself, I don't want to hear all the saturation BS and so forth.

Members don't see this ad.

I know there are a few threads out there with the same topic. However, I'm looking for some specific Toronto/Ontario/Canada information regarding how a RDH can make the switch into Dentistry in the most efficient manner (time wise).
My fiance is an RDH and she does not have any bachelors degree. She went to an accredited dental hygiene school and has >2 yrs of DH experience but that's about it.
Are there any shorter DDS/DMD programs in the states? I've googled the #@%* out of this but theres just too much out there.
Please no hating, keep it to yourself, I don't want to hear all the saturation BS and so forth.

:D

Way to set the ground rules early.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm afraid there is NO shorter route to become a dentist.

Apply to dental school, that's the only way.

Hey guys,

Has anyone (in Canada, GTA area preferably) done this sort of thing before or is currently doing so? Can you please share your experiences? Are there any shorter DDS/DMD programs in the states? I've googled the #@%* out of this but theres just too much out there.

Take pre-reqs and apply to dental school.

well not only just take pre-reqs, in this case your fiance may have to get a bachelor degree unless she finds specific programs that will accept someone without one. Next take the DAT and apply to D school.

every dental school in the US and Canada with the exception of one (University of the Pacific which is 3 years) is a four year degree.

your fiance would have to do the same thing every other applicant does. it is difficult being a Canadian applicant because Canadian schools (especially in Ontario) are difficult to get into.

look in applying to private US schools in addition to the Canadian schools you apply to.

also dental hygiene is a small (IMPORTANT...but small) aspect of what dentistry is in the wide spectrum. it does not make sense that there would be an accelerated program.

good luck! :)