Torsion Balance

Started by Sparda29
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The state requires them.
In most pharmacies, they have the required torsion balance in case the state inspectors ever come, and a digital balance.
 
There are three reasons I can think of, two of them are actually good ones.

- Torsion balances are significantly cheaper than digital (~$500 vs. >$1,000). For an individual pharmacy, this isn't all that big a deal if you're buying one or two, but for a school that has to purchase dozens, it adds up quickly.

- It's easier for the student to see the inherent error in the balance with the analog scale versus the digital read out.

- It's the way things have always been done (this is the bad reason). Why do we still learn conversions from scruples to troy ounces? There's no need, but everyone else has to so we still do.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last retail job I had, the boss refused to spring for a digital scale so we had to use the torsion balance for the (very occasional) mixtures we prepared.

Or at least, I used it; I suspect the other pharmacists were just guesstimating the amount of HC powder to add, for instance.

Why the grumpiness? It's pretty simple to use.
 
Last retail job I had, the boss refused to spring for a digital scale so we had to use the torsion balance for the (very occasional) mixtures we prepared.

Or at least, I used it; I suspect the other pharmacists were just guesstimating the amount of HC powder to add, for instance.

Why the grumpiness? It's pretty simple to use.

It's so clunky though.
 
So, how does a digital balance work? I thought it used a torsion spring and just the read out was digital. It is via piezo elctrics?
johnep
 
been to the moon and back and we still use that ****!! kinda like using drug facts and comparisons with the monthly updates... but then again pharmacists are old school like that.