Total position vs. positions offered in the match...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYC_anest_2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Jan. 31st was the deadline for programs to submit to the NRMP the total # of positions that they are offering via the NRMP this year. I can't help but be a bit upset that a program (like B&W for example) has 30 positions/yr (i.e. a huge residency class) but is only offering 20 positions via the match. So, 10 positions (33%) are going to outside people that have either finished another residency program, or are switching fields. Now, I recognize that having a candidate who has already finished a residency in peds (for example) and has a desire to do pediatric anethesia would bring something different to the residency class - and thus might be very desireable for the program. However, when they take 10 people outside of the match, I can't help but be a bit upset. Most of the other programs that I am considering have done similar things (i.e. the number of positions they are offering via the match is less than the total number of residents they are bringing in) but B&W has taken it to a whole new level!

What are other people's opinions on this practice? Am I the only one who is a bit upset?

Members don't see this ad.

This is not a new practice for BWH. They must be happy with the results they get from it and thus are slow to change.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYC_anest_2004 said:
Jan. 31st was the deadline for programs to submit to the NRMP the total # of positions that they are offering via the NRMP this year. I can't help but be a bit upset that a program (like B&W for example) has 30 positions/yr (i.e. a huge residency class) but is only offering 20 positions via the match. So, 10 positions (33%) are going to outside people that have either finished another residency program, or are switching fields. Now, I recognize that having a candidate who has already finished a residency in peds (for example) and has a desire to do pediatric anethesia would bring something different to the residency class - and thus might be very desireable for the program. However, when they take 10 people outside of the match, I can't help but be a bit upset. Most of the other programs that I am considering have done similar things (i.e. the number of positions they are offering via the match is less than the total number of residents they are bringing in) but B&W has taken it to a whole new level!

What are other people's opinions on this practice? Am I the only one who is a bit upset?

Since I was one of those people outside of the match, I am definitely not upset. This is a trend that has held steady and maybe increased a little over the past few years simply because a ton of high quality transfer candidates have applied for positions in anesthesiology. It is not something that I feel a program can depend on consistently each year, hence I doubt any program commits more than fraction of its positions each year to transfer candidates.

However, I have seen that transfer candidates, especially those coming from IM, surgery, and Rads, have a tremendous knowledge base they can apply to all aspects of anesthesiology and the perspectives they bring to discussions of anesthesiology issues are invaluable. Does that mean we should make everyone do another residency before coming into anesthesiology? Of course not, but I strongly believe that transfers, when screened properly, bring a unique perspective to the field and most bring an incredible amount of enthusiasm as they are grateful to be able to switch to a field that provides both a challenge to their skills and knowledge base, as well as an opportunity to be well compensated and still have plenty of time for life away from the medical profession.

It seems like all of these (or at least some) could still contribute to their respective future residency programs after they went through the match to get their!

I understand a few spots set aside for late transfers but 1/3 of the total?

palabra said:
It seems like all of these (or at least some) could still contribute to their respective future residency programs after they went through the match to get their!

I understand a few spots set aside for late transfers but 1/3 of the total?

You'd be suprised. At one point a couple of years ago, I had heard of two programs considering pulling out of the match altogether and just filling their positions with transfer residents. Like I said, the transfers are usually so excited and grateful for the opportunity, they work twice as hard as everyone else. The ones you miss on usually still hold ground with the rest of the residents.

IM/AnesthMD said:
Ah, there's the rub... 100 applicants with the above advanced training competing with 400 neophytes for the same 30 spots is not just unfair, it's a slaughter and only neophyte is being grilled on the barbie(I'd rather have steak--medium rare, please).

Dude, maybe you should have become a poet with all of this weird imagery you are using here. I am not going to feel sorry for myself because I am a neophyte, nor am I going to feel sorry for anyone who went and got a JD/MBA- they are certainly not working at McDonalds, and I didn't waste 3+ years of my life doing another residency. I don't disagree with your point however, somebody who has done years of post-grad training is obviously more qualified than I am.

I think whats strange or potentially alarming to some about this is that some neophytes might miss out who are truely interested in the field while some advanced applicants sneak through who are choosing anesthesiology as a process of elimination strategy or the lesser evil.

wangstar said:
I think whats strange or potentially alarming to some about this is that some neophytes might miss out who are truely interested in the field while some advanced applicants sneak through who are choosing anesthesiology as a process of elimination strategy or the lesser evil.

This is exactly why programs don't just pull out of the match. Don't get the impression that all transfer candidates are viewed with the highest opinion. There is definitely a more thorough screening process that is followed to ascertain interest, clinical competency, etc. You don't want to be the program hiring someone else's reject or an unhappy/unmovitated individual that could not survive in their original specialty and just wants an alternative way out.

This happened to a certain east coast program that accepted a board certified CVT surgeon who had been in private practice for 10 years, into their anesthesiology residency program. After two months, the guy thought it was too tough (go figure) and quit, leaving the program in the lurch.

In the end, the programs will likely adjust the number of slots they offer on a yearly basis based on recent successes/failures of their transfer residents.

NYC_anest_2004 said:

Programs take applicants outside of the match because previously trained physicians make great residents. Applicants taken outside of the match do not complain about call and workload.

There are some many residency positions that a qualified AMG need not worry.

CambieMD