tough interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jude979

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
why be a doctor instead of a nurse or a PA? i had this question at my last interview and struggled while trying to find an answer...

any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

you could say because you want more direct effect on the patient's healthcare; you make more decisions and have the liberty to do a great many more things as a physician.

And the training a doctor gets is far advanced from that of a PA or RN.

Broader preparation, more intellectually challenging, more independance -- and thus, more financially rewarding (wouldn't necessarily mention this). Wider array of career opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medicine offers different types of challenges as compared with nursing and PA. I think that medicine will provide more science-oriented problems to solve instead of set standard procedures for various conditions. The autonomy of medicine is also more attractive to me than is available in nursing and to some degree PA (I always hate this word...a physician assistant is the title, but what do they practice? physican assistantry?).

Part of the challenge of medicine is also the education itself. To me, reaching the pinnacle of learning is part of why I chose this path. Having to constantly apply my science background to what I do and what I am constantly learning is very appealing. Certainly nurses learn a lot as they progress through their career, but I think it is more procedural learning than scientific understanding. Another important factor for me is (although people seem to get annoyed at me for this but the admissions commitee that accepted didn't seem to) having a profession that can help you earn personal respect and prestige. To be respected as a nurse by the public at large takes superhuman efforts in general. Good nurses deserve a lot of respect and admiration but unfortunately rarely seem to get it -- I think a big reason why there are nursing shortgages throughout the country.

The possibility of being a part of medical research is something typically not offered by the nursing and PA professions but can be a big part of the educational and professional process in medicine. Lastly, I personally did not go into nursing or PA as I was afraid of regretting not having chosen medicine. I think it is easier going backward than forward as you get older. If I somehow feel like nursing is for me after I have an M.D. degree, I doubt I will have difficulty getting accepting to and completing a nursing program.

You should probably also ask this on the nursing and PA forums. They have a lot of great experiences to discuss comparing the two professions.

JUDE979- That was a very good question,PA,nurse or a radiographer has the same impact as "a helping hand" in hospital/health care practice.But each of the above person falls into separate categories, without one of them, doctors will surely find diagnosing,treating and admitting
difficult.MD's have direct effect on patient, this is becouse dicisions are made by the physician and followed by the assistant.Anyway it is the,physician who holds a great and more responsibility than anyone else in the health care industry.
MPP-No doubt medicine is interesting but the challenges which PA, nurse or the radiographer face basicly comes from the physician and patient.
I've experienced this.I'm working as a radiographer and i'll be doing my first year of medicine this year. Eventhough radiography is interesting,i choose medicine to enrich my knowledge and to treat patient and of course do a lots of research, that is my passion.The salary could be financially rewarding but that is not the idea of becoming a physician.Right now i'm going forward to do medicine, i know it's tough but the challenges that i could imagine is the one which is keeping me going.
Lastly whoever works in the health care industry/hospital are working as a team and not individually. Team work is the most important aspect of all and without this, reflection of MD's ego or even the 'assistant's' ego could put a life in danger.
We must all think of this first before even thinking of doing medicine.
Patient comes first. :)

One question, that really has no good answer is why did you make a C in ______ class. What can you say except I didn't study? You don't want them to think that you can't handle the work.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jude979:
•why be a doctor instead of a nurse or a PA? i had this question at my last interview and struggled while trying to find an answer...

any thoughts?•••••they can't do surgery....i like surgery...end of story :D

not so tough when u think about jude :wink:

Welcome to SDN, misskitty!! :) I agree, and I kept waiting for that question, but it never came up in a dozen interviews!! :confused: :clap:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by misskitty:
•One question, that really has no good answer is why did you make a C in ______ class. What can you say except I didn't study? You don't want them to think that you can't handle the work.•••••I have plenty of answers for this! I actually got a C- in gchem lab ist semester and a B- in the lecture. I say I had trouble adjusting my first semester to college type studying. That's fine since I got As second semester. (real reason--pledging a sorority and being hazed, esp nights before tests (lucky me))

OK, movin on to 1st semester sophomore year, taking cell bio, physics and labs. oops, C+ in bio, but A in physics. "I was accustomed to the quantitative reasoning style of chem, so I knew how to study physics since it was mathy. I had not learned how to master qualitative material like cell bio, and the first test significantly lowered my grade." Luckily, 2nd semester, I got straight As so I could prove that I was capable in the subject. (Real reason for bad grade: lazy! and I like math better than memorizing lil bio details)

See, there are always good reasons for bad grades. You just have to find them! :clap:

jude, I was asked this repeatedly (two interviews), and I basically said: 1) I want to know the "WHY" as well as the "WHAT and HOW", and 2) I look forward to the problem-solving aspect of medicine. Since I have clinical experience, working with MAs, RNs, NPs, and PAs, I mentioned a desire for autonomy over the decision-making process...be careful, though, about leading yourself into a managed care debate! Hope this helps.

me ke aloha pumehana