Touro-CA MSMHS-COM 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! They don’t unfortunately. In their last information session they stated that its best to actually have your MCAT requirement fulfilled prior to the start date and that very few students actually take the MCAT while in the program
Thanks for the info. Forgive me if this was answered before,but what is the MCAT requirement for the DO linkage?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info. Forgive me if this was answered before,but what is the MCAT requirement for the DO linkage?
A minimum MCAT of 490 is required to qualify for the interview and acceptance but of course, the higher the better.

a GPA of 3.00 and a 490 MCAT score but I spoke with the admissions team and for their normal applicants, seldom do they accept medical students with a MCAT score below 502 and majority are accepted with an MCAT of 506. For MSMHS students they are more lenient b/c they look at more of your academic performance but the higher the MCAT score, the better the chances

Members don't see this ad :)
If you need to retake your mcat to meet the requirement where the MCAT score would be between 502 or higher.. when should you take plan to retake the MCAT?
After the program ends?
The site mentioned interviews in Spring semester but I could not imagine taking it during the program either so my only option would be to take it after the program ends or take it before the program starts.

Does it sound reasonable to take it after the program ends?

I am going to be moving from Florida, so idk how the time would work to prepare and take it before the program.

Sorry for the lengthy post lol you all are just so helpful.

If you need to retake your mcat to meet the requirement where the MCAT score would be between 502 or higher.. when should you take plan to retake the MCAT?
After the program ends?
The site mentioned interviews in Spring semester but I could not imagine taking it during the program either so my only option would be to take it after the program ends or take it before the program starts.

I am going to be moving from Florida, so idk how the time would work to prepare and take it before the program.
I'm sorry I'm not sure whether or not they accept MCAT scores after the interview because I'm assuming they would need that to determine your admission to TUCOM? Im not sure but I'd definitely email them to see what they would recommend

I'm sorry I'm not sure whether or not they accept MCAT scores after the interview because I'm assuming they would need that to determine your admission to TUCOM? Im not sure but I'd definitely email them to see what they would recommend
Thank you for your response, I will definitely reach out to admission after the holiday!

Reactions: 1 user
After the program ends?

Sorry for the lengthy post lol you all are just so helpful.
you would need to have an MCAT above 490 in order to interview in the first place. If you for some reason cannot reach this before/during the program, your guaranteed interview is valid through the next cycle so long as you reach the 3.0 MS GPA requirement. You just need to score above 490 after the program ends. Echoing everyone above, significantly above 490 (502-506) would increase your chances of turning the interview into an acceptance. But like all admissions these days, it’s a holistic review and a sub 500 MCAT won’t be a deal breaker if you can offset it with an overall good app (especially a strong MS performance)

you would need to have an MCAT above 490 in order to interview in the first place. If you for some reason cannot reach this before/during the program, your guaranteed interview is valid through the next cycle so long as you reach the 3.0 MS GPA requirement. You just need to score above 490 after the program ends. Echoing everyone above, significantly above 490 (502-506) would increase your chances of turning the interview into an acceptance. But like all admissions these days, it’s a holistic review and a sub 500 MCAT won’t be a deal breaker if you can offset it with an overall good app (especially a strong MS performance)
how many people do they accept from the master's class that they interview? like if 20 met the interview requirement, how many do they accept from those 20?

how did you find housing? are you rooming with others from the program?

wait yeah im on the same boat -- i went onto marketplace and saw some rooms available and am currently looking at a place like 20 minutes away from campus. its not super ideal but the rent is super cheap. if anyones still looking for a place i can get them in touch with the couple who owns the house. are you rooming with other students from the program? did you find housing from marketplace?
So I found housing in Vallejo 12 mins from campus. I’m moving in with a DO student and my wife. I saw multiple listings on the Campus Groups marketplace, but you can also find stuff on Zillow/Redfin/Facebook etc. it’s hard to find anything on island without campus groups, and that tends to be shared homes.

If you’re looking in Vallejo, please use Crime Grades or similar websites to scope out safe areas. Vallejo isn’t the best city, so you should try to find the nice pockets. Consider Glen cove/benecia. It’s further out for sure, but might be safer options.

So I found housing in Vallejo 12 mins from campus. I’m moving in with a DO student and my wife. I saw multiple listings on the Campus Groups marketplace, but you can also find stuff on Zillow/Redfin/Facebook etc. it’s hard to find anything on island without campus groups, and that tends to be shared homes.

If you’re looking in Vallejo, please use Crime Grades or similar websites to scope out safe areas. Vallejo isn’t the best city, so you should try to find the nice pockets. Consider Glen cove/benecia. It’s further out for sure, but might be safer options.
campus groups? what is that?

I recently sent my Letter of Intent 🥺 so I am still waiting on an acceptance but thank you for sharing that info. Since I will be coming in from out of state, this is extremely helpful.

Did anyone get some sort of a confirmation after paying the deposit? I emailed Ms. Bible but nothing yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get some sort of a confirmation after paying the deposit? I emailed Ms. Bible but nothing yet.
i j checked through my email and i dont think i got an email but i remember seeing the confirmation screen after i paid my deposit. i think you're usually able to make your touro one account after you put your deposit in but im not 100% sure. Congratulations on your acceptance though!

Anyone here get off the waitlist?
:D
Still waiting to hear back

campus groups? what is that?
when you get your touro one account there's a feature you can login to called campus groups. on the left side of the website you can see a tab called marketplace and that's where most family who are renting out rooms to touro students will post their listings. this is really nice because most of the houses are right by school on mare island. some are even walking distance from the school.

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard any news about people who are waitlisted? Has anyone got accepted from the waitlist?

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard any news about people who are waitlisted? Has anyone got accepted from the waitlist?
I was accepted last year to MSMHS-COM. I didn't hear anything until a few days before school started on Aug 1st. There were some that were accepted even during the first week when classes started. I'm not trying to stress you out with this info. I know it can be a pain in the butt being on the waitlist. Just try to keep busy, apply to other programs as well just in case. Also, remember to write your LOI (Letter of Intent) if you haven't already. The LOI should definitely increase your chances.

Also looking at the FB page for this class year there is less than 20 students for this years class on the page. Don't give up hope there is still time and make sure to apply to other programs as well.

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted last year to MSMHS-COM. I didn't hear anything until a few days before school started on Aug 1st. There were some that were accepted even during the first week when classes started. I'm not trying to stress you out with this info. I know it can be a pain in the butt being on the waitlist. Just try to keep busy, apply to other programs as well just in case. Also, remember to write your LOI (Letter of Intent) if you haven't already. The LOI should definitely increase your chances.

Also looking at the FB page for this class year there is less than 20 students for this years class on the page. Don't give up hope there is still time and make sure to apply to other programs as well.
*forgot to add I was on the waitlist last year

Waitlist Gang here :)
I sent my letter of intent already.
I attended the recent info session and they mentioned that the deadline was extended to July 5th. They also mentioned that they would be reviewing applications this week and they have a virtual option as well for this year in addition to the in-person option.

I am hoping to hear back about this program because I really want to attend.

Sending positive vibes to everyone who is still waiting or is also waitlisted like myself :)

Waitlist Gang here :)
I sent my letter of intent already.
I attended the recent info session and they mentioned that the deadline was extended to July 5th. They also mentioned that they would be reviewing applications this week and they have a virtual option as well for this year in addition to the in-person option.

I am hoping to hear back about this program because I really want to attend.

Sending positive vibes to everyone who is still waiting or is also waitlisted like myself :)
wait they said we can take classes virtually??

wait they said we can take classes virtually??
Yes! The director of the program mentioned this during the last info session. If you email Ms. Bible, she will send you a recording of it. But basically, the director was encouraging us to do the program in person so we can take advantage of the opportunities on campus. But he also mentioned they will be having a virtual option as well :)

Guys, I got off the waitlist and got accepted!!!!
WOOOOOOOOOO :D
I am thinking about doing the virtual option, if housing is too expensive :/

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I got accepted from the waitlist a few days ago! :)

Can you talk about housing!!
Regarding housing it is not too hard. I saw a lot of openings but maybe people are just picky lol. Once accepted there is a website that is only for Touro students that should show you rentals that are available near campus. There isn't a dorm or anything if thats what you're asking. If you are looking for an apartment its is very expensive. Especially now given how prices have increased. Hopefully this helps.

I hope everyone is doing well.

I was recently accepted last week into the program and just found this thread today but currently deciding if I will accept the offer. If I do not hear from the other school by this week Thursday I most likely will be attending the program via virtually .

For this of you who are still waiting, Don't give up you guys! There is definitely still hope . I truly didn't think I was going to be accepted (given my stats were absolutely trash) but I literally just went out on a limb and applied and trusted my higher power to guide my application if it was meant . I'm realizing that it's not always about your stats but sometimes about your story and maybe even your experiences.

I hope you guys receive great news soon !
✌🏽 & 🖤

I hope everyone is doing well.

I was recently accepted last week into the program and just found this thread today but currently deciding if I will accept the offer. If I do not hear from the other school by this week Thursday I most likely will be attending the program via virtually .

For this of you who are still waiting, Don't give up you guys! There is definitely still hope . I truly didn't think I was going to be accepted (given my stats were absolutely trash) but I literally just went out on a limb and applied and trusted my higher power to guide my application if it was meant . I'm realizing that it's not always about your stats but sometimes about your story and maybe even your experiences.

I hope you guys receive great news soon !
✌🏽 & 🖤
also attending virtually! i've seen many people are doing it in person, but just financially better for me to do it virtually

also attending virtually! i've seen many people are doing it in person, but just financially better for me to do it virtually
Whoohooo congrats to you . If I could afford cali's cost of living I wouldn't mind moving there. But same on the financial boat.

Whoohooo congrats to you . If I could afford cali's cost of living I wouldn't mind moving there. But same on the financial boat.
I live about two hours away, in sac area. so i can go to campus once in a while lol.
I'm waiting for an MCAT score to come in to decide if I want to do the program. If score is good, then I feel like I can get into med school without the program.

Out of curiosity has anyone been accepted into the Facebook page yet ?

I live about two hours away, in sac area. so i can go to campus once in a while lol.
I'm waiting for an MCAT score to come in to decide if I want to do the program. If score is good, then I feel like I can get into med school without the program.
Oh snap ! I hope you did great or you reach your goal score for you to just apply for med school. That's exciting to think but I know very nerve racking at the same time .

Did you hear anything back about interviews and admission for COM after you completed the program? My friend also was apart of the 2021-2022 MSMHS and they've heard literally nothing from anyone-never got an interview even though they met the criteria and applied, did well in the program/research project. Not even a denial letter or anything! Orientation is like next week!!

Did you hear anything back about interviews and admission for COM after you completed the program? My friend also was apart of the 2021-2022 MSMHS and they've heard literally nothing from anyone-never got an interview even though they met the criteria and applied, did well in the program/research project. Not even a denial letter or anything! Orientation is like next week!!
that's really weird. Did they apply and do an application? From what I learned, you have to apply through aacomas before march 15 and do the secondary also. then they interview either in march or may. decisions take time after interview. some people are still waiting to hear back and some are on the waitlist. but if your friend did not even get an interview, i'm thinking they didn't submit aacomas??

that's really weird. Did they apply and do an application? From what I learned, you have to apply through aacomas before march 15 and do the secondary also. then they interview either in march or may. decisions take time after interview. some people are still waiting to hear back and some are on the waitlist. but if your friend did not even get an interview, i'm thinking they didn't submit aacomas??
They told me they did, and received confirmation of the application! I'll have to ask if they even got a secondary but def no interview. And supposedly a few friends in the same boat

Hi all, I’m in the current 2023 med application cycle but have started applying to SMPs due to low uGPA. I’m a non-trad, 2.60 uGPA but includes recent post bacc gpa 3.90. My mcat was low so I’m not confident about this cycle. I have one DO interview but that’s it so far. I’m wondering if anyone with low stats has gone into this program and how they did? Also if they got into a med school after? Thanks!

Hi all, I’m in the current 2023 med application cycle but have started applying to SMPs due to low uGPA. I’m a non-trad, 2.60 uGPA but includes recent post bacc gpa 3.90. My mcat was low so I’m not confident about this cycle. I have one DO interview but that’s it so far. I’m wondering if anyone with low stats has gone into this program and how they did? Also if they got into a med school after? Thanks!
currently MSMHS student. was also not doing well in the regular app cycle due to low stats. So I took a chance and applied to SMP and chose Touro Cali. Honestly, it is a lot of work, but oddly enough I am doing well. As long as you can put your time aside weekly to study, you will be fine. As for the med school, we haven't done the process yet. It will be in the spring. The linkage is good as a lot of people from the program get into Touro's med school! PM me for more info

Hi everyone, I'm applying to the 2023-2024 SMP program at Touro. I was wondering if anyone who has been accepted can help me with reviewing my personal statement. Any help would be appreciated :')