Touro Harlem,NY ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkpa2med

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any news with what's going on with Touro? Are they going to follow through with a new DO School in Manhattan? :D

I hope so, this means more schools for me to apply to come next june.

Members don't see this ad.

that would be awesome

I think so. I"m a little confused. There's a website for the new TN school and the one in Washington and Pittsburgh, but nothing on Harlem, though I've heard it passed the review. Would it be weird to call them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I live four blocks from Harlem and haven't heard anything about the school opening up next year. Possibly a few years down the road maybe?

They are going through with the school in Harlem. A friend of the family, who used to be heavily involved with NYCOM, was called to be the dean.

Alrighty, I just called (they were super nice btw), and the deal is there will be a new school opening! However, they aren't sure whether it will be opening in 2007 or accepting apps in 2007. The woman I spoke to will ask the guy who really knows and itsn't in today as soon as possible and said she'll get back to me.

Do you know if they are accepting apps this June??

rgerwin said:
Do you know if they are accepting apps this June??

Nope. Want me to found out?

That would be amazing. If they were, it would be come one of my top choices, b/c I love NY. And, they have posted info anywhere.

OMG! I really hope this school does open to accept applications in 2007 for 2008. I am glad to hear this is going on. I know that for instance the Touro PA Program has very good rotations and trains their PA's really well. Hopefully it will even be better for DO's.

bkpa2med said:
OMG! I really hope this school does open to accept applications in 2007 for 2008. I am glad to hear this is going on. I know that for instance the Touro PA Program has very good rotations and trains their PA's really well. Hopefully it will even be better for DO's.

Touro- we're the Starbucks of the DO world, one on every corner soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Coach said:
Touro- we're the Starbucks of the DO world, one on every corner soon.

Yea seems like Touro is opening schools everywhere. I think it makes them look bad.

How many Touro schools are there now?

Why all the fuss, its in Harlem.

Right now, only 2 medical school branches. PCOM and LECOM also have multiple campuses, so I'm sure what all the fuss is about.

NRAI2001 said:
Yea seems like Touro is opening schools everywhere. I think it makes them look bad.

How many Touro schools are there now?

Well Touro is starting to get rediculous. I really think they should not be allowed to open anymore freaking schools!

I went to a show in Harlem a few weeks ago, ..they really fixed up the area well and are continuing to do so...I also know a few people that live there now.....the area is not as bad as the reputation it has had in the past, ..I would without a doubt apply there,...doesn't mean you have to live in the Harlem area if you dont want to...

rgerwin said:
Right now, only 2 medical school branches. PCOM and LECOM also have multiple campuses, so I'm sure what all the fuss is about.

Don't compare them to PCOM. PCOM is over a hundred years old, they aren't even close to having that big of a reputation and the fact they are opening one so soon after their last expansion is concerning. Plus there is not a need to put one so close to NYCOM.(yeh I know they aren't that close but still)

HunterGatherer said:
Harlem=NYC

Have you been in Harlem in the last 6 years? Check out rising home prices in Harlem. Regentrification.

Right..Have you heard the latest news...touro-fallujah :scared:

Does anyone know if this new Harlem branch will try to espouse a hardcore primary care / serving the underserved minorities philosophy to justify its location?

Also what hospitals will it be affiliated with ?

100 students class x 4 classes = 400 students x $35,000 a year = $14 million per year revenue... I doubt the overhead for a non-research based school is over $5 million per year (pay staff, rent, whatever) leaving almost $10 million a year in profits (we'll cut that in half to be conservative and keep the class size at 100 which we know increases to much more after 4 years) $5 million a year. I'd be opening up like crazy if I were Touro as well - I think AOA is to blame not Touro.

can someone please check and confirm that they are or arent accepting applications this summer? i need to know this, i gotta move back to new york!

beastmaster said:
Does anyone know if this new Harlem branch will try to espouse a hardcore primary care / serving the underserved minorities philosophy to justify its location?

Also what hospitals will it be affiliated with ?

You are right on target Beastmaster. That is their main goal for opening the school. Beastmaster, you never met a guy named Dr. Marty Diamond have you?

OnMyWayThere said:
100 students class x 4 classes = 400 students x $35,000 a year = $14 million per year revenue... I doubt the overhead for a non-research based school is over $5 million per year (pay staff, rent, whatever) leaving almost $10 million a year in profits (we'll cut that in half to be conservative and keep the class size at 100 which we know increases to much more after 4 years) $5 million a year. I'd be opening up like crazy if I were Touro as well - I think AOA is to blame not Touro.

In fact, another good friend is on the accrediting committee for the osteopathic schools and he said that if NYCOM tried to open up today they wouldn't be able to. The standards are stringent according to him.

USArmyDoc said:
In fact, another good friend is on the accrediting committee for the osteopathic schools and he said that if NYCOM tried to open up today they wouldn't be able to. The standards are stringent according to him.

And why would NYCOM not be able to open but this school by Touro is able to? :rolleyes:

USArmyDoc said:
You are right on target Beastmaster. That is their main goal for opening the school.
As hard as they try to make an osteopathic SUNY downstate, it will never be the natural order. They should just drop the phony pretense and try to make the best school possible.
USArmyDoc said:
Beastmaster, you never met a guy named Dr. Marty Diamond have you?
I'm afraid not. Care to tell me more about him?

beastmaster said:
As hard as they try to make an osteopathic SUNY downstate, it will never be the natural order. They should just drop the phony pretense and try to make the best school possible.
I'm afraid not. Care to tell me more about him?

Eh, I was just curious to see how close his was with the students at NYCOM. You can go on the NYCOM website and see pictures of him during the graduation ceremony. He is in the third column from the bottom second picture in. Maybe you will recognize him. From what I was told, he was called to be the Dean at the new Touro.

HunterGatherer said:
And why would NYCOM not be able to open but this school by Touro is able to? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I didn't phrase it correctly. If NYCOM was to try to open today the same way they did years ago, they would not be allowed to because the accreditation criteria is much stricter now. Thats all. I guess it was his way of showing that these schools just can't open when they please.

beastmaster said:
As hard as they try to make an osteopathic SUNY downstate, it will never be the natural order. They should just drop the phony pretense and try to make the best school possible.I'm afraid not. Care to tell me more about him?

I am just passing along information I received. Who is to say they can't mimick SUNY Downstate though?

Chatting with Gephardt ? He may very well be close with the students, upper classmen, but I dont get involved in politics, student govenment, stuff like that.

Not saying the can't... just saying they shouldn't.

beastmaster said:
Chatting with Gephardt ? He may very well be close with the students, upper classmen, but I dont get involved in politics, student govenment, stuff like that.

Not saying the can't... just saying they shouldn't.

Yep, that is him.

Can Someone Please Tell Me When Touro Harlem Will Start Up And When They Will Start Accepting Applications?!?!? The Suspense Is Killing Me

chuckcamp said:
Can Someone Please Tell Me When Touro Harlem Will Start Up And When They Will Start Accepting Applications?!?!? The Suspense Is Killing Me

:laugh: :laugh:

OnMyWayThere said:

Good point :thumbup:

chuckcamp said:

Can't you see people are on a rant here. You shouldn't interupt something like this.

Call them up if you want to know, it'll be on amcos (whatever its called) anyway

JonnyG said:
Can't you see people are on a rant here. You shouldn't interupt something like this.

Call them up if you want to know, it'll be on amcos (whatever its called) anyway

We arn't on a rant. We are just discussing the new school that will be opening. In fact, I think this has been a good discussion. Also, JonnyG I am interviewing at PCOM in a week. How do you like it? In addition, how does it compare to DMU (if you even know)? DMU and PCOM are my top two choices and being that PCOM is 2.5 hour drive makes it more attractive.

Finally I have made a valuable post with good information on it for once. Go DO!

bkpa2med said:

I may have answer for you guys regarding applications for Touro-NY. It probably won't be till later in the week.

USArmyDoc said:
I may have answer for you guys regarding applications for Touro-NY. It probably won't be till later in the week.

thank the lord-- i gotta know.. NYC is the place to be!

USArmyDoc said:

Thank you USArmyDoc

I mean NYC is an interesting place (granted I wouldn't live there), but why did they locate the school in one of the bad parts of the city? What was wrong with one of the other boroughs or out on the island?

OnMyWayThere said:

Many things both great & bad are motivated by profit seeking. The important thing is to have a quality accreditation process. In most cases more education & the wider spread of knowledge works out for the better. It is difficult for me to understand how the accredited training of more physicians is a bad thing.

Praetorian said:
I mean NYC is an interesting place (granted I wouldn't live there), but why did they locate the school in one of the bad parts of the city? What was wrong with one of the other boroughs or out on the island?

I believe mainly to have the diverse population. Remember that Columbia's Hospital is also in the Harlem area.

ANOTHER DO SCHOOL????
OMG THIS IS CRAZY. I guess you can open more up when you don't have your own hospital, don't emphasize research, or make your own residencies.
BTW> I have nothing against DOs. I will be able to work hand in hand w/ them and find them to be excellent docs (YES I AM A DREADED ALLOPATH IN YOUR FORUM). The problem I have is that the AOA or whoever accredits these things is going to flood the market in like 50 years. It probably wont affect us in our careers but it's going to turn out like law school, and only those going to top schools will land jobs in the future. Oh well...i'll be retired by then I hope.
Also, i agree w/ spreading education, but we all have to protect our profession and our livelihood as well. Dont pretend like all you care about is the "world". NOONE IS A SAINT. (Just in case anyone puts me down and accuses me of wanting to stop education).

DISCLAIMER: I did not do research on this topic. It is only my opinions. LOL.