Touro - Mare Island Class of 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! My housing plans may have fell through, so I am still looking for roommate(s)/housing. Any suggestions, etc, please contact me!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi There! I was wondering if anyone has used Graduate Leverage as their lender in the past, and if they've ever had any problems with them? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, can't wait to meet everyone and get started :) Does anyone know if we have a dress code for orientation?

I was wondering the same thing .... so I asked a second year about it .. he said that the guys wore shirt and tie, while the girls wore business casual.

* cricket ** cricket *
exams and classes must be really tying you guys up

Hello All,

Congrats to those newly accepted! My Touro secondaries are going out this week and I would greatly appreciate any input for the CA and NV schools.
In particular how is Mare Island? I understand the campus isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, but how are the anatomy labs? Good ventilation? Students are you happy there? How are the professors?

Again thank you guys for the time and I appreciate your comments.

Hello All,

Congrats to those newly accepted! My Touro secondaries are going out this week and I would greatly appreciate any input for the CA and NV schools.
In particular how is Mare Island? I understand the campus isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, but how are the anatomy labs? Good ventilation? Students are you happy there? How are the professors?

Again thank you guys for the time and I appreciate your comments.

I personally really like Mare Island, but I'm probably in the minority. I'm a history nerd, and the island has a ton of history, and a lot of really neat old buildings. I occasionally spend time riding my bike around the island taking pictures and breaking into abandoned buildings. but, I hear at lot of students that complain. the island is old. the buildings are old, and most of the campus is buildings that are not in use and are boarded up. it's not very pretty, in that respect. I don't mind so much though. also, the college was recently given development rights over what amounts to about half the island, and if the plan goes through, it will be a pretty awesome facility, brand new, all new buildings.

I honestly haven't been in the anatomy lab since my interview two years ago (I'm a first year now), as we don't start anatomy until after our fall break. but, I haven't heard the second years complain about it.

the professors are hit and miss. we have a few that I wish taught everything. they're fabulous, their lectures are good, their exams are straightforward, they're helpful. there are a few that I could definitely do without. but, I think you'll find that anywhere. also, with the new curriculum this year, we're experiencing some growing pains. the professors are having to learn new ways to work together to teach us, and that's been a slow process. but, our student gov't representatives have been great working with the course directors to get things worked out, and in general, faculty have been receptive to suggestions.

am I happy? that's a hard question, really. I hate school more than I've ever hated it in my life. it sucks. but, I'm happy I'm here. I'm happy I'm in school. I'm happy I chose Touro. I'm happy being a doctor is so close to within my grasp. it's a major adjustment is all.

It's a major adjustment is all.

It really, really is. And its really hard to communicate to pre-meds the reality of what they are getting into. Regardless of school, its hard work.

Good luck. Hang in there. It's worth it later . . . getting to actually work with patients is very satisfying. :)

bth

It really, really is. And its really hard to communicate to pre-meds the reality of what they are getting into. Regardless of school, its hard work.

Good luck. Hang in there. It's worth it later . . . getting to actually work with patients is very satisfying. :)

bth

thanks!

I knew it was going to be hard work. I think you just can't really explain to someone the kind of hard work it's going to be- I would probably explain it the same way it was explained to me, and it doesn't quite cover it, ya know? the loss of any perception of reality is what gets to me the most. but it's definitely going to be worth it. definitely.

thanks!

I knew it was going to be hard work. I think you just can't really explain to someone the kind of hard work it's going to be- I would probably explain it the same way it was explained to me, and it doesn't quite cover it, ya know? the loss of any perception of reality is what gets to me the most. but it's definitely going to be worth it. definitely.

Oh yeah, we forgot to mention. Welcome to med school. You are now leaving reality.

bth7

[

may I ask why you choose to have another year to start? how did the school respond to your decision?

thanks!

mjmj

Hi bth7. thanks for posting many important info, I always enjoy reading them. May I also ask you how is your usual day schedule is like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi bth7. thanks for posting many important info, I always enjoy reading them. May I also ask you how is your usual day schedule is like?

So my typical day is:

class 8-3 or 5pm depending on the day. Usually Mondays are the only days that we go til 5pm. After class, sometimes I'll go to the library and study for a couple of hours, then I go workout, eat, shower, and back to studying til about 11pm. If it's close to block week, I'll study pretty much whenever I'm not in class. I still workout 4-5 days a week b/c it's so important to have an outlet. On the weekends, I usually go out Friday nites and Sat nites too. I spend Saturday and Sunday during the days studying.
Med school is great, and not as hard as I thought it would be. The students and profs have made a huge difference and have made med school a much more fun experience than I expected. If you have any questions, you can PM me.
Alexis

I

Last edited:
I read that Touro-CA is a Jesuit-founded school, but I am wondering what kind of impact this has on the experience of attending this school?

(Aside from the Jewish holidays, which I have read about earlier on in this thread.)

Are you going to feel strange or out-of-place if you're not Jewish?

THANKS!

Jesuit?

I read that Touro-CA is a Jesuit-founded school, but I am wondering what kind of impact this has on the experience of attending this school?

(Aside from the Jewish holidays, which I have read about earlier on in this thread.)

Jesuit: a Christian religious order of the Roman Catholic Church

Jewish: a member of the Jewish people, an ethnoreligious group originating in the Israelites or Hebrews

The Jesus thing is kind of a big difference, fyi.

True, although I do think it's worth noting that Jesus was a Jew, not a Jesuit.

Indeed, Jesuits came along 1500 years later.

As a secularist, it would be difficult to choose between the two in a school. Jesuits have a fine scholarly tradition of getting drunk and arguing (and what is college for, if not for getting drunk and arguing). Judaists get a lot of extra school holidays.

I've attended schools of both stripes, and I belong to no religion. No complaints.

THANKS!

To respond seriously to your question, Jewish students are less than 10% of the student body. Being "non-Jewish" is a "non-issue."

To current students at Touro,

I know it is recommended that we should wait until orientation to consider buying textbooks, but I have a friend who can help me get some of the textbooks for free under his work grant. In order to do so, I have to buy the books now. From the class of 2011 textbook list, what books are absolutely necessary and required by the new curriculum? What other books (that are not on the list) are good study guides for the courses, COMPLEX, and USMLE exams? Thank you so much.

The list of required textbooks for 2011:
http://www.tu.edu/user_files/239/Booklist__2007-2008__Class_of_2011.pdf

Andrew :)

To current students at Touro,

I know it is recommended that we should wait until orientation to consider buying textbooks, but I have a friend who can help me get some of the textbooks for free under his work grant. In order to do so, I have to buy the books now. From the class of 2011 textbook list, what books are absolutely necessary and required by the new curriculum? What other books (that are not on the list) are good study guides for the courses, COMPLEX, and USMLE exams? Thank you so much.

The list of required textbooks for 2011:
http://www.tu.edu/user_files/239/Booklist__2007-2008__Class_of_2011.pdf

Andrew :)

One take on books for 2nd year Touro:

http://www.tugsa.net/touro2year.pdf

Of course, with the curriculum change, many of these books will be useful 1st year. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

bth

Class of 2012...CONGRATS!

Gosh, it's pretty cool to get on here and relive how exciting it was to actually get into med school and have your future set. I'm a second year at Touro right now and I can definitely tell you with confidence that you will be getting a great education here. The teachers really care and will make sure that you stay on track.

I have a lot of books that I've barely marked in that I need to sell. These books will suffice completely for both your first and second years and cover all the subjects that you will be taking as they are all the required books. PM me if you're interested in buying them.

Congrats again on your acceptance and all the best!

Dear Class of 2011 and 2012,

I am an OMSII ready to move to Long Beach for my rotations. I have a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath place literally 6 minutes away from school in Vallejo. It is in a safe area (those are far and few between in Vallejo if you are not on Mare Island). I will be moving out June 11th so it will be free for move in at that time. Anyways if you are interested in renting or purchase please contact me.

[email protected]

Good luck next year,

Matt

I am wondering if anyone is interested in living in a house on the island? I'm looking for house mates. A room is available with a private bathroom (not a master bdrm) at a great price! Utilities are included in the rent. Females preferred and no pets please. If interested, please pm me with ur info Asap!
Where u're from, what yr at touro, what type of house mate ur looking for, etc..
Thank you. :)

In answer to Dave Barry's quote:

"What would happen if the Earth was hit by a very large asteroid? No one really knows for certain..."

Come on, Dave! The Earth would experience one major pain in the a**! I mean, nothin', but nothin' hurts like an attack of asteroids. Ask any proctologist, and they'll tell ya.

Hi Guys,

I am currently a pharmacy student at Touro and live on the island in a house. I have 2 rooms available for rent and thought I would post here see if any new touro students were interested.

You get your own room and bathroom. Rent for one room is 650 and the other is 600. Utilities (water, electricity, garbage, maintenance) are included!! High speed internet access is included in the rent as well! It's literally a 2 minute drive to school.
I love living on the island as its one of the few safe places in vallejo. I'm sure you guys have heard about the major issues the city has with crime. You can start paying rent in August (usually the houses on the island require you to start paying in July).

I'm pretty easy going and usually busy studying (you guys are going to quite busy as well)....there are no major rules in the house. I'm just looking someone who is clean, quiet, cleans after themselves...does not have parties in the house. Females only and no pets please.

If interested, please email me asap (since we're gonna be done soon and I'm gonna be going home) with a short intro and your contact info/phone #.

Thanks. :)