Touro - Mare Island Class of 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all! Congrats on the acceptances. Look forward to you all becoming a part of the close-knit Touro family.

I just wanted to give you a heads up that I am selling all of my stuff for first year. I have all the supplies and books that you are required to have. And I have also have some of the stuff that you are recommended to have. PM me if you're looking to buy anything. I can sell it all for a good deal to take the stress off having to find stuff from all different websites and such. Take care!

Members don't see this ad.

1)You WON'T have time to work. I'll save you the suspense. Plus, work study is only 10 an hour or so and they limit your hours to 20 a week. Do the grad plus, save yourself from having to deal with, among 54 credit hours a year, financial worries. You don't want to be worrying about where rent is coming from during blocks, do you?

2)You can apply for Grad Plus anytime of the year. However, do know that the process will take about a month or so, so DON'T find out November that you need extra money in November. You won't get it in time.

3)As far as the deferment goes, I think the school took care of it, but call Financial aid just to make sure (707-638-5280).

4)Make sure you signed your master promissory note with your provider that's doing the Staffords. Don't assume the school will send you one, because they might not. Contact your providor directly and ask to sign the MPN online. My guess is that your provider is Wachovia, but if it's someone different, my advice doesn't change. If you don't sign it online (and make sure just in case anyway that your provider has a signed MPN) then you'll be showing up to the Bursar's office during orientation with the rest of your class and your check won't be there.

Good luck with everything. You'll all (those interested) be matched with a Big Sib later (like around July) who will hopefully help you along with some of your impending questions that I'm sure you'll all have, just like we did when we were in your shoes a year ago.

That being said, DON'T freak out and buy everything on the "REQUIRED BOOKS" list. You'll spend about 2,000 and end up using pitifully little of it, and truth be told, they don't always recommend the best texts. More advice to come at orientation. There'll be plenty of us 2nd years at your orientation for the "break out" sessions and we'll be able to answer most of your questions there, EXCEPT curriculum questions. Your curriculum is completely different than ours, and we'll still be on the old one next year. You're the first and the only class thus far to have the new one, so you know as much as we do at this point. Any more questions, feel free to PM me.
Thank you so much for your advice. They are really helpful !!

Hey Everyone, Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I was just wondering if anyone has heard of any waitlist movement so far? I am on the high alternate list.. and am nervous :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed Dr. Haight earlier this week and he said they started pulling from the waitlist last week. I am also high waitlisted. Good luck!

Hey Everyone, Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I was just wondering if anyone has heard of any waitlist movement so far? I am on the high alternate list.. and am nervous :scared:

Hello everyone,
My friend and I are currently looking for roomates. We are going to be first year stduents and we're also thinking of getting a house and so need 2 other roomates to split the cost. PM me if you're interested. Thanks

Here's the class of 2010 pages from SDN; basically identical to some of the stuff you guys are talking about now, but there's a lot of housing help in there, as well as other things you may not have thought about. Happy hunting!

Congrats to everybody that got accepted. Enjoy your summer and get excited for school to start. I am going to be a second year and need a new roomate. I know lots of great places to live in Glen Cove and Benicia. If your interested please reply to this post. I am currently in the Los Angeles area for the summer, so if anybody wants to get together and grab a drink hit me up.

I would be interested in living on the island - short commute! let me know more info please.

kris

I just got accepted and am looking for a place...are you still looking for a roommate? PM me with the details of the unit if you don't mind (i.e. sq. footage for the open bedroom, shared/private bathroom, price, rent, etc.)

Thanks

I emailed Dr. Haight earlier this week and he said they started pulling from the waitlist last week. I am also high waitlisted. Good luck!

Hey cmoney, I just got an email from Dr.H about the waitlist, he said I am in the 2nd tier of the high waitlist, and if those ppl get pulled it probably wont be until July. sigh..

I'm also on the 2nd tier of the high waitlist. This is the only school to which I applied. Right now I'm working and my job gives $1000 for every month advance notice we give upon leaving. I decided to hand in my resignation letter now and just hope for the best. Thankfully my work is short handed enough that I should be able to retract my resignation with no problem if I don't get in.

I have a few questions though: I haven't been able to find a 07-08 schedule. When are orientations and when do classes start? I want to continue working until the last possible day. Also, how much would sending in more supplemental materials help? I have a DO that wants to write me a letter, plus a paper I authored is looking like it will get accepted.

I have a few questions though: I haven't been able to find a 07-08 schedule. When are orientations and when do classes start? I want to continue working until the last possible day. Also, how much would sending in more supplemental materials help? I have a DO that wants to write me a letter, plus a paper I authored is looking like it will get accepted.

I would suggest doing both. They are both big pluses in Touro's mind. Plus it lets them know you're motivated and really want to attend Touro.

bh

I GOT IN!!!!! I just found out that I got in!!!!!!!! :hardy::laugh::thumbup:

Congratulations everyone!!! I have been checking this forum and my email for the past couple of months like a fiend. Thank to everyone for thier advice, like Stringerbell and Good Ol' Boy. This is a great community.

I was on the 1st tier of high waitlist, and it is only June 5, 2007 so I am sure that there will be more waitlist movement as time goes by.

I am walking around with a big goofy grin right now. Lets show the world what real medicine is all about! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I just found out that I've been accepted to the class of 2011!! I need a place to live!

I'm moving down from Portland, OR as soon as I give notice.

Anyone looking for a roommate?

oh yeah. housing! hmmm yes. time to start worrying about that!

Congrats to everyone who got pulled off the waitlist already!! Hopefully I will be joining you soon. How did you all find out??

Dr. Haight emailed me. I was at work, and it was the 100000th time I checked my email since my interview, and it was a very nice suprise. I was all like, "Yesssssssssssss." :oops:

I found out via email too. I proceeded to go to the Billabong warehouse and reward myself with a few purchases:D

So...I need a roommate and a place to live. Is anyone out there looking for a roommate? I think I'm going to make a trip up north to check out the area and look at housing next week.

Congratulations to everyone who worked their butt off and waited to get off the wait-list!!!

YOYOYO CONGRATS NINJAS!!! dang... I bet it was rough, now e-mail me your e-mail addresses so I can add to our class list and also get you on this evite for thsi weekend, lol. HOLLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who can get me updated on the wait list status? I'm starting to feel bad about e-mailing Dr. H so much. Those of you that got in via wait list, how far down on it were you? I've been told I'm at the top of tier 2, so I'm just wondering if I can figure out where they are.

Is anyone else currently living in Oregon or Washington? It'd be great to meet some classmates before starting school.

As for the waitlist questions, I dont know if anyone can, or will, tell you your spot on the waitlist. I kept sending Touro's admissions office material that supported my application and showed my desire to enroll in Touro this fall. Maybe that helped move me off the waitlist? Who knows. Good luck to you. Remember, persist. You can be a doctor and you will get in.

Congratulations to all of you who got in!!!!!

Quick question, has anyone asked when our loans from undergrad go into deferment? I was told to ask the registrar by financial aid, but I thought I'd check here first. :)

Who can get me updated on the wait list status? I'm starting to feel bad about e-mailing Dr. H so much. Those of you that got in via wait list, how far down on it were you? I've been told I'm at the top of tier 2, so I'm just wondering if I can figure out where they are.

I'm not too sure you can get many specifics on the waitlist. I too have bugged Dr. H (too much I think), so I'm kinda backing off a little bit. I've tried to ask before, and the adcom says they are not allowed to give any information pertaining to numbers and the list. All Dr. H told me was what tier I was in on the high waitlist... and that was only because I asked after reading things on here.

And actually, Dr. H is sending out a letter to all waitlisted applicants either today or the beginning of next week to explain more. I was told that when I sent them my change of address. Good luck! I hope we both get called!

Hi everyone. Im from New Jersey. I will be joining you guys this August. Dr Haight told this year's incoming class is the best he has ever put together.

Hi everyone. Im from New Jersey. I will be joining you guys this August. Dr Haight told this year's incoming class is the best he has ever put together.

Heard this too. Number of applicants keeps going up. :thumbup: Quality of applicants admitted keeps going up.:thumbup:

Thought some of you might be interested in this :

A Touro Student Club gets a plug in the National News: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,279032,00.html

bh

Hey,
Two bed two bath....
I will be looking for a roommate for next year...two bedroom two bath. No-smoking....I own a house back home so I have tons of furniture and kitchen stuff...even a futon if you don't want to buy a bed asap. I have two cats and a dog, all 5-8yrs old and super friendly. It's the whole first floor of an old Victorian in the Heritage District of Vallejo (sunny-5min from campus)in a nice neighborhood walking distance (10min) from downtown Vallejo and the farmer's market, restaurants coffee. Some friends from this area do bike ride to school but I do own a honda if people want to carpool or get stuck in the rain on your bike. There's also a huge communal backyard with patio furniture and a private side yard...they do the yard maintenance, off-street parking in rear. It's 1200 a month with water and trash...my room has the bath right off the side and 2 closets so the second Br (your own bath in the hall) would be 575 to be fair. I have a wireless thing. Nice safe, family area.

If you want to live alone, the 1 bedroom upstairs(there are two one bedrooms upstairs) is available...would be great to have a touro student as a neighbor! Debbie asked me to post this...it will go fast I'm sure.

>
>Hello Virginia Street Tenants,
>It looks like unit #939 is available for rent again. The woman who was
>going
>to take it had a change of plans. If you know anyone who would make a good
>neighbor, please pass along this link to Craig's list to them.

>http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/347885038.html

>Thanks,
>Debbie

Email me if you are interested in either apt or have questions about anything.

Chao for now,

PhDtoDO

Hi I was wondering what type of computers we should get. I want to get a mac but not sure if the school has a specific operating system in mind.

I have the same question as MrMet. I like the idea of switching to the macBook; however, last year's thread made mention of how popular and useful those tablet notebooks were. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Don't buy all the books!

I did, it was a bad bad idea.

We will try to give you a list of good ones to buy, probably just a revamped list 2009 gave us!. It does take time to get them through the mail etc. but they will have all the books in the library so you can see if you need them or use them until you can order them. You guys are on a different system so it might seem confusing trying to advise about this, but you guys also start 2-3weeks after we do.

There will be time to evaluate your book needs etc before you need most of them.

Also, later there will be a big used book sale on the internet from the second years, us. So you can reserve to buy a bunch of used books this way and pick them up/pay the first week of classes. I don't know who's organizing this in our class, but we will update you closer to school.

I have a PC, but I do know some classmates have Macs. I will email a couple of people to see if they can advise you guys. It probably comes down to your preference, but I will try to get some confirmation on that.

Dr. Glover (OMM Chair person) put 3 books as required for OMM class before school. I bought all three then on the first day of class, he told us two of them were 'crappy.' Then half way through first semester it was decided that another book was needed (good for OMM newbies) so we ordered it through UAAO (OMM club). I dont' think he'll require this after I made fun of him for months about this, but that just goes to show how steadfast this 'required' and 'recommended' thing is...400$ worth of books later.

I'll get back to you about the PC/Mac thing.

PhDtoDO

hi everyone!
I too will be attending Touro this fall and am looking for a roommate to share a two bedroom two bath apartment in Benicia.
please PM me if interested!

do a lot of people stay in on-campus housing the first year?
I know when I was interviewing people said it wasn't that nice of a place to live and kinda sucked cuz there was nothing around the island... but it'd be nice to live on campus until we get to know more about the area...

Hey,

THE DORM
As for living on campus....it is very convenient. And in the future their will be some seriously cool housing developments for students and faculty, but right now it is just the one dorm. Some if not all of the rooms have private baths. They are cheap. I don't know how their leases work, but some people wanted to move out after first semester and had trouble with this. Some of my friends lived there last year, all are moving out...and into apts with eachother (they became good friends in the dorm). I wouldn't recommend it for most people, but for some its just fine, people do stay there for more than one year. They have study rooms, rec rooms TV, pool. Judge for yourself.

I really like the houses on Mare Island that students rent in groups. They are new, clean and very convenient (great for parties).

MACS and BOOKS

I quote our class president...

Books: No, as far as I know, no one is looking at providing book recommendations for the incoming class. This process is obviously made more difficult because of the new curriculum. However, I could e-mail Dr Hartwig and attempt to discover some details.

Computer: I have a Mac. In fact, I switched from a PC to a Mac at the beginning of second semester. I would recommend a Mac because it is user friendly. That is, it very rarely crashes and has essentially everything you need with the exception of powerpoint and word; however, Macs do have their own comparable programs. Also, I have heard Vista - the new Windows OS - is, frankly, junk. With regards to connectivity to the wireless network, I have had no more problems than anyone else. I have also been able to access all files just fine.

If you have any more specific questions please let me know.

H

MISL
After talking to one of your classmates, I realized that most or at least some of you don't know about the MISL....Mare Island Life webpage. You can access it through the touro page or click below

http://misl.info/

I've never seen much of anything on the calendar, but all the other stuff like doctors to groceries to selling old stuff and housing is posted by touro students from all the schools. If you haven't seen it before, check it out. It's been used and regularly updated by students for years. Great resource for moving to the area.

List Serve...

At some point Touro will create a list serve for you guys...you email to this address and it spits out to the whole class(new to me). This did become a problem particularly at the beginning of the year because you could get 20 emails a day. Our reps have worked to systemize it and promote responsible use. I used to email stupid jokes on occasion, I don't anymore. One of your classmates went to the trouble of officially changing his email so that he could have a separate email for these and all other touro emails. Didn't do this myself but not a bad idea.

As for the password to blackboard. I was very confused last year because it wasn't really clear what this was and everyone was waiting on their password to get on. I have no idea why they present it like this. It is to access lectures, Powerpoints and your grades. It is of little use to you until classes get started. What you are really waiting on is your classlist serve, not blackboard.

Ok, so that's overkill.

PM me if you have anymore questions.

-PhDtoDO

I have the same question as MrMet. I like the idea of switching to the macBook; however, last year's thread made mention of how popular and useful those tablet notebooks were. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Either platform, be it Windows or Mac, will be fine; there's a lot of Macs in the class, and VERY FEW tablet PCs. Don't fret about all of the "required specifications" that the school will give you; just get one that has a large hard drive, a good amount of RAM and you'll be fine. You'll be putting a LARGE amount of powerpoints and also lots of videos on your HD so get one with some space.

Congrats again to the class of Touro MI 2011!! I'm new to SDN and am still looking to find housing. Let me know if you're interested living on MI or Benicia!

I haven't been on SDN very much so I may have missed this but was wondering if anyone that is already in the bay area would want to get together for dinner. It would be great to start meeting people. I am in Vallejo but can meet where ever.

Hi all!! I'm getting super exicted about starting classes and from what I've read a lot of people feel same :D. Woooohooo!! There's been previous posts about computers and I plan to buy a new one this weekend. I'm debating on whether to buy a PC or MacBook. Does the MacBook Windows program work well or are there problems interfacing with regular PC programs? Do PC's crash more often? And for insurance I talked with Barbara in Student Health several weeks ago and she stated Touro currently does not offer students health insurance. Grrrrrrrrr. Are single people purchasing their own plans? Any particular recommendations? Does Touro offer medical services at the clinic at a reduced cost? Any input would be quite helpful. Thanks a ton!

Hi all!! I'm getting super exicted about starting classes and from what I've read a lot of people feel same :D. Woooohooo!! There's been previous posts about computers and I plan to buy a new one this weekend. I'm debating on whether to buy a PC or MacBook. Does the MacBook Windows program work well or are there problems interfacing with regular PC programs? Do PC's crash more often? And for insurance I talked with Barbara in Student Health several weeks ago and she stated Touro currently does not offer students health insurance. Grrrrrrrrr. Are single people purchasing their own plans? Any particular recommendations? Does Touro offer medical services at the clinic at a reduced cost? Any input would be quite helpful. Thanks a ton!

Hey Guys,

I just finished my first year at Touro and took a peak in here to offer any help.

As for computers there is a mix of people with Macs and PCs and I think it will be more about personal preference. I have an PC and have had zero problems with it interfacing with school or anything of the sort. I know some classmates who have had problems with their Dells but that was because they broke mid year and they had to be sent off to get fixed and ended up breaking anyway a few weeks ago. I have an HP and love it. Its about 3 years old and no problems. All of my roomies have PCs and no problems. But I also have friends who swear by their Macs. So to each his own. :)

As for medical insurance I have no idea!

:) Hope everyone is getting excited for their first year. I am one of the SGA officers (Student Government) for the university so I will see all of you at orientation! PM me if you have any other questions.

Books-
I don't know if you guys are getting a list of books or not but if you get one don't buy all of the books. You should be assigned a "big sib" sometime this summer who you can talk to and find out exactly what you need. Mine was great and cut off about half of the books on the list. Mind you, I am also a book person so I bought the ones that she said I would need as well as the ones I might need.
But, nobody should buy a Netters. You get a free Netters Atlas when you join SOMA (Student Osteopathic Medical assocation). I have not gotten the packets in the mail for next year yet but last year membership was $60 and that is the same price as a new netters.

Insurance-
I am still on my parents insurance but I know you can get health insurance from SOMA. I have no idea if the plan is a good option or not. You have to be a member to have it but you can get the insurance now and join later. There will also be info about the insurance in your orientation packet on the first day. In case you want to check it out the website is: http://www.somainsurance.com/

Computers:
I bought a Gateway Tablet PC. I spent more money that I could have on a regular computer but I love the Tablet. We got lots and lots of powerpoints last year and a lot of times they were not posted for us until right before class. So, I could just download them and take notes on my screen instead of sprinting to the library to print. But, remember you can also just take notes by typing below the slides with a regular laptop. But, it really is just personal preference we had a wide range of computers. Oh, but one more thing to think about is that you will be carrying it around a lot so think about size and I don't know if you have seen the desks at school but they are small so I personally didn't want one of the really big computers. (I don't know how much that will apply to you because I don't know how much time you will spend in the lecture hall.)

I hope you are enjoying your summer and congrats to everybody who got in.

Oh, and the schedule for 07-08... we don't have it yet either. I have no idea when we are getting it.

Hi everyone,

I'm a class of 2010 student and noticed there were quite a few people moving down from Portland to start at Touro in August. I'm from Portland and am currently up here for another three weeks if anyone wants to get together for coffee/beer and have their questions about Touro answered. Congrats on all the acceptances and good luck to everyone on the waiting list!!!

Hello to everyone,

First off, I would like to add my congratulations to those who got accepted in TUCOM 2011 -we'll meet in August at orientation. I'm from Portland OR, and will be driving down there in mid-July, after I'll finish my last two weeks at my job. I think it's time for a vacation...
So, relish0526 where would you like to meet? I know Portland like the back of my hand so anywhere would do. I'd love to meet and listen to some tucom stories or just talk about snowboarding, fishing or whatever over a drink. A sugestion -the 'blue moon' on NW 21st and Glisan -sounds good?

Hey portlanders,

I would love to meet any other students in the area. How many of you are there? I'll be around this week through July 3rd, then back again July 11- ? whenever my last day at work is, hopefully soon :D

Happy hour somewhere this Thursday, June 28th? or the Blue Moon, perhaps?

julie

I need a place to live!

unfortunately, I can't come to CA to look at places or meet people before August. I'll be moving from Austin on 7/31, but will be stopping at my parents' in LA on the way for a couple days, hopefullly.

I'll be 25 in a couple weeks, female, gay, pretty mellow and quiet. I have a cat, but he mostly prefers to stay outside, and only comes in for occasional snuggles. he's the sweetest thing you'll ever meet. I'm mostly interested in a co-ed household, so either a male roommate or a mixed group would be preferred, but I'm flexible.

I'm occasionally overly political, always a little goofy, and never mean. I bake a lot. I knit a lot. I drink scotch a lot. I drink scotch and knit a lot. and my cupcakes, they're amazing.

please PM me if you have any ideas for me. thanks!

So, I was wondering what days the co-ed and men's soccer teams play on. Both my husband and I are really interested in playing soccer for our school and want to make sure to schedule it into our schedules. :cool:

When does the season start? What are the fees? Who can I contact for more information?

Thanks and enjoy the remainder of the summer.

I was wondering if there were outlets in the classrooms, or would we have to rely on our laptop batteries?

There are outlets under each seat...so don't worry about getting more than one battery!

I have been looking for homes in Napa, and was curious as to whether any 1st+ years could comment on the daily drive from Napa to MI. Thanks in advance.

my wife and daughter and I are moving to Napa. It is roughly 20 miles from the city of Napa to school and it is opposite the flow of traffic into the valley. highway 29 to 37 to Mare island.

I talked to a second year who lived in Napa, he also has a family. He is moving to Benicia to be in a bigger house for his family. The commute adds probably 15 minutes more time twice a day ( = 30 minutes/day).

On the other hand Napa is very cool place and safe. Also good opportunites to relax with the Wineries and restaurants etc. Lots of great parks.

We are moving up from San Diego next week.

Hi everyone! Who is still looking for roommates? :eek:

Hey there,
I signed up for medical insurance through AMSA member benefits or you can go through studentresources.net - school is AMSA.