You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Touro Nevada MHS: 2020-2021
Started by MedSun
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey!
I was thinking of applying this week or the upcoming week but I need to get my letters and personal statement done.
Have you applied yet?
Hi! I have, but I haven't heard back yet.
I'm going to their open house on Tuesday and hopefully I'll have more information then.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I have, but I haven't heard back yet.
I'm going to their open house on Tuesday and hopefully I'll have more information then.
hey! Did you end up going? If so, can you describe your experience or anything that might help? Thank you!
Hi! I apologize for not responding sooner, crazy work schedule.hey! Did you end up going? If so, can you describe your experience or anything that might help? Thank you!
Yes, I ended up going. This was my second Open House with them ( I also went last May).
A lot of people showed up and they combined people that were interested in their MHS and Osteopathic programs together. A first year medical student, Ryan gave us a quick tour of school (it's a closed campus-looks like a big 2 story maze). We also visited a cool virtual anatomy lab where you can dissect corpses and study different organ systems individually.
Then we had presentation given by a MHS director talking about the masters program itself. Here is a quick summary:
-During anatomy lab, the specimen are already pre dissected by 1st year medical students. Our job would be just show up and learn what's inside.
-MHS students don't have any overlapping classes with medical students, but the first year of med school would strongly mimic what was already learned at MHS.
-Same professors and sometimes even same tests are given.
-MCAT 500+ and GPA in MHS guarantees an interview (but in reality, the seat is yours)
-It is possible to work for school during the program
-Lectures are powerpoint heavy
I also briefly met their new Admissions director Tava and she said that the first application discussion should have been last week of September. So I'm guessing anyone who already applied should hear from the pretty soon.
LMK if you want to know anything else!
I'm looking to apply to their program this month. However... 495 MCAT. Will I have to retake for an interview/acceptance to their COM? :-(
Yes, they would ask you to retake it. They also suggest to take the MCAT before starting MHS since it’s a rigorous program. I’m taking mine in January.I'm looking to apply to their program this month. However... 495 MCAT. Will I have to retake for an interview/acceptance to their COM? :-(
They make exceptions if your application is good everywhere else. I know they have accepted people with GPA lower than what they are asking on the website.I get my MCAT back next week.
How strict are they with the GPA requirement?
Great info thanks for sharing! Do you know what gpa you need in MHS to get into the med school?? Is there a strong linkage to the med school with this program even though they don’t gurantee admission??Hi! I apologize for not responding sooner, crazy work schedule.
Yes, I ended up going. This was my second Open House with them ( I also went last May).
A lot of people showed up and they combined people that were interested in their MHS and Osteopathic programs together. A first year medical student, Ryan gave us a quick tour of school (it's a closed campus-looks like a big 2 story maze). We also visited a cool virtual anatomy lab where you can dissect corpses and study different organ systems individually.
Then we had presentation given by a MHS director talking about the masters program itself. Here is a quick summary:
-During anatomy lab, the specimen are already pre dissected by 1st year medical students. Our job would be just show up and learn what's inside.
-MHS students don't have any overlapping classes with medical students, but the first year of med school would strongly mimic what was already learned at MHS.
-Same professors and sometimes even same tests are given.
-MCAT 500+ and GPA in MHS guarantees an interview (but in reality, the seat is yours)
-It is possible to work for school during the program
-Lectures are powerpoint heavy
I also briefly met their new Admissions director Tava and she said that the first application discussion should have been last week of September. So I'm guessing anyone who already applied should hear from the pretty soon.
LMK if you want to know anything else!
Great info thanks for sharing! Do you know what gpa you need in MHS to get into the med school?? Is there a strong linkage to the med school with this program even though they don’t gurantee admission??
hi! As long as you maintain 3.5 gpa and have 500+ on the MCAT, you will be accepted to their medical school. Their interview is just a formality🙂
Thanks!! That’s great to hear. Would you say the classes are doable to get a 3.5??hi! As long as you maintain 3.5 gpa and have 500+ on the MCAT, you will be accepted to their medical school. Their interview is just a formality🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I know it’s doable. I’m not a student yet myself but I know people struggle with their first tests but then recover. The style of testing is a little different in this program.Thanks!! That’s great to hear. Would you say the classes are doable to get a 3.5??
All I know is that August-September applications were reviewed 2 weeks ago but I haven't received any status updates. I was told to wait one more week 🙁No updates from me, still debating on whether to apply to medical school this upcoming cycle or the MHS then just try to matriculate to Touro's DO class. Have you heard back from admissions yet?
I see! Goodluck!All I know is that August-September applications were reviewed 2 weeks ago but I haven't received any status updates. I was told to wait one more week 🙁
Oh, for sure. You apply and they review your DO app in December (at the end of your first MHS semester). There is no gap yearI wonder if they allow you to apply to the DO program 2020-2021 if you're in the 2019-2020 MHS class
Can you please elaborate why you think the style of learning is a bit different?From what I know it’s doable. I’m not a student yet myself but I know people struggle with their first tests but then recover. The style of testing is a little different in this program.
An
And then are you allowed to drop out with one semester left or you finish the MHS then start medical school 2 months later?Oh, for sure. You apply and they review your DO app in December (at the end of your first MHS semester). There is no gap year
Hi all,
Has anyone have any update about getting accepted to the program this cycle?
Has anyone have any update about getting accepted to the program this cycle?
Hey! I talked to them a few weeks ago and they said they will review applications around the 17th of January!Hi all,
Has anyone have any update about getting accepted to the program this cycle?
Does anyone know if you do the MHS program if you still need to meet all the ore reqs for the med school? If so do they accept online Orgo and labs?Hey! I talked to them a few weeks ago and they said they will review applications around the 17th of January!
Thanks!
Thank you!Hey! I talked to them a few weeks ago and they said they will review applications around the 17th of January!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I havent but they said it’d take 4-6 weeks to hear back from them.Anybody hear back the past few days?
When did they say that?I havent but they said it’d take 4-6 weeks to hear back from them.
When did they say that?
They told me when I first applied 6 weeks ago. I Just got the final decision today.
Did they email or call? I hope it was good news!!They told me when I first applied 6 weeks ago. I Just got the final decision today.
Their website says take applications until April 30th! So no definitely not too late but they recommend to get your app in around this time (8 weeks prior)hey is it too late to apply now?
I did with significantly lower stats (barely met the cut off) and a mid 500 mcat. Your stats are not a problem at all.Hey guys,
Has anyone received acceptance from the MHS program with these stats (or lower stats than this):
Science GPA: 3.39
Pre Req GPA: 3.23
cGPA: 3.31
I am worried I won't get accepted.
I did with significantly lower stats (barely met the cut off) and a mid 500 mcat. Your stats are not a problem at all.
Ugh, I didn't even take the MCAT. I know its not required but still.
So you've been accepted? Congrats! Did them notify you via email / call?I did with significantly lower stats (barely met the cut off) and a mid 500 mcat. Your stats are not a problem at all.
Thank you and email!So you've been accepted? Congrats! Did them notify you via email / call?
Thank you and email!
How long did it take for them to get back to you? I applied today.
Couple months. You’ll likely hear back at the end of this month though.How long did it take for them to get back to you? I applied today.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would anybody who’s accepted like to start a Facebook group for the class?
You should start one and post the link here.
I hope so. How much is the deposit we have to put up to secure our seat?Couple months. You’ll likely hear back at the end of this month though.
$500I hope so. How much is the deposit we have to put up to secure our seat?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 1K