MedSun

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello!
Who is applying early?
They just got a new director of admissions and things are moving slowly.

Reactions: LetMeInnn
Mar 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey!
I was thinking of applying this week or the upcoming week but I need to get my letters and personal statement done.
Have you applied yet?

Reactions: MedSun
OP
MedSun

MedSun

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey!
I was thinking of applying this week or the upcoming week but I need to get my letters and personal statement done.
Have you applied yet?
Hi! I have, but I haven't heard back yet.
I'm going to their open house on Tuesday and hopefully I'll have more information then.

Mar 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi! I have, but I haven't heard back yet.
I'm going to their open house on Tuesday and hopefully I'll have more information then.
hey! Did you end up going? If so, can you describe your experience or anything that might help? Thank you!

OP
MedSun

MedSun

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
hey! Did you end up going? If so, can you describe your experience or anything that might help? Thank you!
Hi! I apologize for not responding sooner, crazy work schedule.

Yes, I ended up going. This was my second Open House with them ( I also went last May).
A lot of people showed up and they combined people that were interested in their MHS and Osteopathic programs together. A first year medical student, Ryan gave us a quick tour of school (it's a closed campus-looks like a big 2 story maze). We also visited a cool virtual anatomy lab where you can dissect corpses and study different organ systems individually.
Then we had presentation given by a MHS director talking about the masters program itself. Here is a quick summary:
-During anatomy lab, the specimen are already pre dissected by 1st year medical students. Our job would be just show up and learn what's inside.
-MHS students don't have any overlapping classes with medical students, but the first year of med school would strongly mimic what was already learned at MHS.
-Same professors and sometimes even same tests are given.
-MCAT 500+ and GPA in MHS guarantees an interview (but in reality, the seat is yours)
-It is possible to work for school during the program
-Lectures are powerpoint heavy

I also briefly met their new Admissions director Tava and she said that the first application discussion should have been last week of September. So I'm guessing anyone who already applied should hear from the pretty soon.

LMK if you want to know anything else!

Mar 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for this very thorough reply! I’ll attend the next open house they have and I will definitely be applying!
Goodluck if you are too!

Adnil

2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2017
I'm looking to apply to their program this month. However... 495 MCAT. Will I have to retake for an interview/acceptance to their COM? :-(

OP
MedSun

MedSun

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm looking to apply to their program this month. However... 495 MCAT. Will I have to retake for an interview/acceptance to their COM? :-(
Yes, they would ask you to retake it. They also suggest to take the MCAT before starting MHS since it’s a rigorous program. I’m taking mine in January.

iqe2010

7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I get my MCAT back next week.

How strict are they with the GPA requirement?

OP
MedSun

MedSun

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I get my MCAT back next week.

How strict are they with the GPA requirement?
They make exceptions if your application is good everywhere else. I know they have accepted people with GPA lower than what they are asking on the website.

Dochopeful13

5+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi! I apologize for not responding sooner, crazy work schedule.

Yes, I ended up going. This was my second Open House with them ( I also went last May).
A lot of people showed up and they combined people that were interested in their MHS and Osteopathic programs together. A first year medical student, Ryan gave us a quick tour of school (it's a closed campus-looks like a big 2 story maze). We also visited a cool virtual anatomy lab where you can dissect corpses and study different organ systems individually.
Then we had presentation given by a MHS director talking about the masters program itself. Here is a quick summary:
-During anatomy lab, the specimen are already pre dissected by 1st year medical students. Our job would be just show up and learn what's inside.
-MHS students don't have any overlapping classes with medical students, but the first year of med school would strongly mimic what was already learned at MHS.
-Same professors and sometimes even same tests are given.
-MCAT 500+ and GPA in MHS guarantees an interview (but in reality, the seat is yours)
-It is possible to work for school during the program
-Lectures are powerpoint heavy

I also briefly met their new Admissions director Tava and she said that the first application discussion should have been last week of September. So I'm guessing anyone who already applied should hear from the pretty soon.

LMK if you want to know anything else!
Great info thanks for sharing! Do you know what gpa you need in MHS to get into the med school?? Is there a strong linkage to the med school with this program even though they don’t gurantee admission??

OP
MedSun

MedSun

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Great info thanks for sharing! Do you know what gpa you need in MHS to get into the med school?? Is there a strong linkage to the med school with this program even though they don’t gurantee admission??
hi! As long as you maintain 3.5 gpa and have 500+ on the MCAT, you will be accepted to their medical school. Their interview is just a formality:)

Reactions: Dochopeful13
OP
MedSun

MedSun

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks!! That’s great to hear. Would you say the classes are doable to get a 3.5??
From what I know it’s doable. I’m not a student yet myself but I know people struggle with their first tests but then recover. The style of testing is a little different in this program.