Touro Nevada MHS: 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@LetMeInnn when did you apply and when did you hear back? Also, anyone ever write them a letter of interest? Wondering if it will help.
End of January and heard back end of February. And no idea!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, sorry to ask so many questions, but did you end up writing a letter of intent/interest for the MHS program?
No I didn’t, but I suppose that I may have showed interest by emailing them and talking to them quite a few times regarding several questions if that counts lol.

No I didn’t, but I suppose that I may have showed interest by emailing them and talking to them quite a few times regarding several questions if that counts lol.
Anyone know why the directors of this program keep changing? I guess Charles and Tava both no longer work there and there’s a new program director now?

Anyone know why the directors of this program keep changing? I guess Charles and Tava both no longer work there and there’s a new program director now?
Tava no longer works there?? I literally emailed her 3 days ago and she replied

Hey,
I need your guidance. I think I messed up big time.

First of all, I've never filled out a postbacc, med school or grad school application before.

I just realized that Touro's Application had extracurricular & hobbies section. I didn't realize we had to religiously fill it out. Instead I just bullet few things; this is what I wrote:

- Dancing
- Biking
- Swimming
- Reading

and I turned it in. Now, after x1 week later, I was on Youtube and just realized that I had to fill out this section in depth/detail. I don't know what to do. Should I call the school and ask if I can update the application and just be honest with her about this? How did you fill yours out? Seeking you guidance.

Thanks.

hi! As long as you maintain 3.5 gpa and have 500+ on the MCAT, you will be accepted to their medical school. Their interview is just a formality:)

Where did you hear this? I just want to confirm that it's not just lip service, lol.

Accepted today, deciding between here Georgetown or Rosalind Franklin. The tuition is relatively cheap for an SMP and CoA seems very reasonable as well. Does anyone know if this masters has success stories of students matriculating to other DO/MD schools? Or has it only been successful for TUNCOM?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@thatpremedguy What were your stats when you applied If you don’t mind me asking?
I was waitlisted as of 3/25/20.
Not sure what’s the protocol on waitlists. Anyone knows how it works?

what 2nd personal statement?
I applied and never had to turn in any secondary essays.
Did you submit an application through PostBacCas or the Touro Apply system? I submitted through the PostBacCas and they sent me a secondary application with this prompt: Please use the space below to briefly state why you are applying to the Master of Science in Medical Health Sciences program and how gaining acceptance into the program will help you achieve your future academic and professional goals?

The first prompt I did was a general personal statement for PostBacCas.

Did you submit an application through PostBacCas or the Touro Apply system? I submitted through the PostBacCas and they sent me a secondary application with this prompt: Please use the space below to briefly state why you are applying to the Master of Science in Medical Health Sciences program and how gaining acceptance into the program will help you achieve your future academic and professional goals?

The first prompt I did was a general personal statement for PostBacCas.
If you submit through touro’s application it’s 1)cheaper 2)the secondary prompt is the only essay you need to submit.

If you submit through touro’s application it’s 1)cheaper 2)the secondary prompt is the only essay you need to submit.
I had to submit the application through PostBacCas regardless because I already ordered many transcripts (9 lol) and applied to other schools that utilize it. It would have cost me more to do a separate one >_< but I guess it's costing me time now...

If you've already used PBC for another school's app this cycle, it's cheaper to use PBC. They charge $45 for each additional school and Touro wants $75.

If you've already used PBC for another school's app this cycle, it's cheaper to use PBC. They charge $45 for each additional school and Touro wants $75.
actually, if you apply through PBC for Touro MHS, your fee is waived.

actually, if you apply through PBC for Touro MHS, your fee is waived.

.... Yes, your Touro app ($75) fee is waived. PostBacCas still wants $45 for the additional program designation AFAIK.

Hi all, I am really interested in the MHS program but i am not sure ill be able to make it in...
anyone on here made it with less than 3.0 gpa??
i have 2.84 with 168 gpa credits and 219 attempted hours from three schools over 6 years ( i have 1 F (gen chem), 1 D ( calc 2) , 8 C (C in english, spanish, psychology, philosophy, molecular genetics, gen chem 1 and calc2) and 7 Ws
I was dealing with a lot of family issues along with working to support myself that heavily affected my motivation and schooling
right now i am back in university to finally get my bachelors in human physiology
i am taking all science class ( so far getting As in ochem and cell bio and A&P) so hopefully my GPA will rise to at least 3.0
i have 2000+ clinical hours as phlebotomist and dialysis tech
currently doing research as well
do i have a chance of ever getting into the MHS program? or should i just move on to a different path

Last edited:
Hi all, I am really interested in the MHS program but i am not sure ill be able to make it in...
anyone on here made it with less than 3.0 gpa??
i have 2.84 with 168 gpa credits and 219 attempted hours from three schools over 6 years ( i have 1 F (gen chem), 1 D ( calc 2) , 8 C (C in english, spanish, psychology, philosophy, molecular genetics, gen chem 1 and calc2) and 7 Ws
I was dealing with a lot of family issues along with working to support myself that heavily affected my motivation and schooling
right now i am back in university to finally get my bachelors in human physiology
i am taking all science class ( so far getting As in ochem and cell bio and A&P) so hopefully my GPA will rise to at least 3.0
i have 2000+ clinical hours as phlebotomist and dialysis tech
currently doing research as well
do i have a chance of ever getting into the MHS program? or should i just move on to a different path
Hey!
Got twice as many C’s, D’s and F’s as you. ~220 credits, got accepted recently. I’ve done some postbacc credits and an mcat with respectable science section scores. I don’t think you should move to another path if you truly want medicine and haven’t even given it a chance yet!

thank you very much.
do you recommend taking the mcat before applying? if so will be ok to take a year off to study for it and work on shadowing and volunteering hours?

thank you very much.
do you recommend taking the mcat before applying? if so will be ok to take a year off to study for it and work on shadowing and volunteering hours?

I'd recomend taking the MCAT like now especially while we all have nothing else to do. At least if you do decently you know that all you would have to overcome is a masters program. You sound like you would have a great story if you keep up the good work.

Hi I was currently applying for the do school and because I haven’t heard anything, though about applying to the masters. Does anybody have any idea how to apply. When I log into the application where I submitted my DO application, there’s no place to submit a mshs applixation

Hi I was currently applying for the do school and because I haven’t heard anything, though about applying to the masters. Does anybody have any idea how to apply. When I log into the application where I submitted my DO application, there’s no place to submit a mshs applixation
You have to apply through PostbaccCas or Touro’s application portal.

Accepted just now, complete on Monday. Elsa in admissions has been very nice and helpful.

Does anyone have any concrete info on requirements to matriculate to DO after? It seems to vary on each year's SDN thread and the person in this thread never responded...

Accepted just now, complete on Monday. Elsa in admissions has been very nice and helpful.

Does anyone have any concrete info on requirements to matriculate to DO after? It seems to vary on each year's SDN thread and the person in this thread never responded...
Changes every year, they haven’t set them for our class yet. Congrats!

I'm planning to finish up applying on both applications (PostBacCAS and Touro's) this weekend. Did you apply through both apps? I'm just worried that if they really need both done my PostBacCAS grades won't be verified in time.

I'm planning to finish up applying on both applications (PostBacCAS and Touro's) this weekend. Did you apply through both apps? I'm just worried that if they really need both done my PostBacCAS grades won't be verified in time.

Hello! I did both PBC and Touro's application. When I did it, I filled out PBC first, and then Elsa sent me a secondary application email invite once she verified I qualified for the Touro one. Did you apply to other schools? If you did, the verification should be done in a day or two.

Hello! I did both PBC and Touro's application. When I did it, I filled out PBC first, and then Elsa sent me a secondary application email invite once she verified I qualified for the Touro one. Did you apply to other schools? If you did, the verification should be done in a day or two.

Nope sadly haha, TUN will be the first school I'm applying to. I only decided for sure to apply for PostBacs/MHS when all the COVID stuff took off and a lot of my Gap year jobs went out the window.

Nope sadly haha, TUN will be the first school I'm applying to. I only decided for sure to apply for PostBacs/MHS when all the COVID stuff took off and a lot of my Gap year jobs went out the window.
I am sorry to hear that.
If you plan on applying to TUN only, then apply to their program directly through the Touro App. It will be cheaper this way (and faster Bc you don’t have to finish that PBC essay).

If you plan on applying to other schools, then use PBC. It might take them a bit to review your transcripts and verify if you just turned them in. Make sure you enter your class info correctly to avoid delays in verification. PBC requires a statement also (and this is a general statement sent to all schools and you can’t edit after you complete it). I had to do this statement and the TUN specific one.

Does anyone know how accepted people for the MHS program can find each other to start looking for possible roommates?

Does anyone know how accepted people for the MHS program can find each other to start looking for possible roommates?

There's a FB group if you search for it. I requested to join yesterday but waiting on approval.

I already had a PBC app going and had paid the initial $130 for my first school, so it was cheaper for me to add TUNCOM that way ($45). If this is your only school, the $75 Touro app will be cheaper.

FWIW, my PBC app was verified literally within 24 hours once they got my transcripts sorted out (they lost them and refused to go look for them until 7 days had passed). It's probably safer to just let Touro handle it in that respect.

There's a FB group if you search for it. I requested to join yesterday but waiting on approval.
Yeah I am waiting as well. The admin said they go off of the roster so I am assuming that is after your deposit is processed.

Yeah I am waiting as well. The admin said they go off of the roster so I am assuming that is after your deposit is processed.

Ugh that's annoying. I wanted to ask questions in there of anyone who had maybe gone to an open house or something.

Just an FYI for anyone interested - I bit the bullet & emailed Dr Prinster, who was very nice. He said there is no 'guaranteed direct admission' but that students with a 500 MCAT & 3.4 in the program are at the best odds for admission, and that the requirements to matriculate are discussed properly at orientation.

I asked in the FB group what the matriculant numbers were like last year. The admin said that over half the interviewees got accepted, the others were WLed.

I just got an update from admissions scheduling a time to talk with the Dean "to go over a few things." Did anyone else have to do this too, what's it about?

I just got an update from admissions scheduling a time to talk with the Dean "to go over a few things." Did anyone else have to do this too, what's it about?

Nope. Did you already get accepted?