Touro-NV MHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this school still accepting applications for this cycle ?

Good luck to you guys
Call or email the admissions office about applications at this point.
(702) 777-1750
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Haha why would you want to apply here even if they were still accepting students? If someone is willing to pay them they'll accept you. Don't expect any help once you're here though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called (4/28) and they told me they would accept apps up until May 10th... After I sent my application, they confirmed a week later stating they have not reviewed my app and will only review it if a spot becomes available. WTH - I thought the MHS c/o 2013 was still open when I applied....

Bummed! Anyways, does anyone know the exact date this program starts?

Does anyone know if doing well in special masters programs at DO schools such as the MHS at Touro, combined with an MCAT of 30 or higher boost credinetials for admission to MD schools? I'm not talking about Carribian.

Does anyone know if doing well in special masters programs at DO schools such as the MHS at Touro, combined with an MCAT of 30 or higher boost credinetials for admission to MD schools? I'm not talking about Carribian.
Shehram, your ticket to an MD program will be a high MCAT, for sure, as long as your other grades are in line. I can't speak to specific admissions policies in other schools, so I don't know how favorably an MHS or comparable degree plays out. But, I believe admissions weigh undergrad performance more heavily than a graduate program, though Master's degrees certainly don't hurt. Average MD MCAT is around 30, but if your undergrad GPA is low, expect to get a higher MCAT if you want to be considered.

@val848, classes will begin July 5.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Touro Nevada doesn't have the same linkage that we do at Touro California? Is it because the large class size? I am sorry for those who have had their pre-med track derailed by this program.

One a related note, Touro Nevada didn't even give me a secondary this past cycle. I guess they don't care about our MSMHS program either.

Hi! For those entering the July cohort, where are you guys getting your books from? online, the bookstore, amazon...?

Ok, the MHS class of 2012 are probably done by now. Please update us on how many people finally got into the DO program this year, how many went to other DO schools, and how many went the PA or DPT route?

Ok, the MHS class of 2012 are probably done by now. Please update us on how many people finally got into the DO program this year, how many went to other DO schools, and how many went the PA or DPT route?
DO: 5
PA: 3
DPT: 0 (1 applied)
KCUMB: 1
Ross University: 1

30 started MHS12, 6 dropped, 3 didn't pass the course.

New acceptance criteria makes it easier for MHS to get into the DO program now, but they won't be applied retroactively.

DO: 5
PA: 3
DPT: 0 (1 applied)
KCUMB: 1
Ross University: 1

30 started MHS12, 6 dropped, 3 didn't pass the course.

New acceptance criteria makes it easier for MHS to get into the DO program now, but they won't be applied retroactively.

Just curious, what are those criteria?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, what are those criteria?

I emailed Dr. Nissanov (Program Director) and this was his reply:

There are a number of changes instituted for the upcoming MHS year. Key among them are:
1) A guaranteed acceptance into Touro University Nevada will be granted to students who meet the following criteria:
• attain or exceed the following year's TUN DO program's minimum published requirements,
• maintain a minimum of B for each MHS-specific course,
• rank in the upper 50% of DO students for courses shared with the DO program,
• demonstrate professional behavior at the expected level.

2) Anatomy course is a few weeks shorter allowing students about 10 weeks to prepare for the January MCAT

3) Students will begin their research during the first rather than second semester.

4) Remediation rules have been made more strict. The policy is now as follows:
• Students must achieve a score of 70% or better in each course to be eligible for degree granting. Students scoring below 70% in no more than 1 class/semester may be permitted to remediate that course and, if successful, receive a score of 70% thus making them eligible for degree granting. Failure in more than one course/semester places a student in the category for dismissal. Remediation of a failed Fall course will be offered during the first week of the second semester while remediation of a Spring course will be offered during the last week of the Fall semester.

Why do a MHS? Just take a year off and study like heck for the MCAT. That'll give you 52 weeks of study and $40K more, then if you did the program and only had 10 weeks for MCAT and $40K less.

I emailed Dr. Nissanov (Program Director) and this was his reply:

Im glad there is some sort of guarantee. It helps when there is a tangible finish line to keep your eye on, and not the vague "try the best you can" goal. Best of luck to the TUN MHS class of '13.

A guaranteed acceptance into Touro University Nevada will be granted to students who meet the following criteria:
• attain or exceed the following year's TUN DO program's minimum published requirements,
• maintain a minimum of B for each MHS-specific course,
• rank in the upper 50% of DO students for courses shared with the DO program,
• demonstrate professional behavior at the expected level.

This makes me very happy. I would really like to do this programme and get accepted at Touro-NV's DO school.

I'll look forward to seeing how this current year's cohort fares compared to the grim prospects of the past two year's graduates.

The new criteria seems promising. I spoke with an individual at the University last week as well, who confirmed some of the criteria he had on hand. He was very helpful... yet the website is still vague, and some questions went unanswered.
Anyone looking to apply to this program for the 2013 cycle?
Anyone in the current program want to voice the pros and cons of the current program? I've heard that they've modified the program a bit since they introduced it...
Thanks in advance for your input! :)

Does anyone know whether the recent changes that they have made to the program, and new criteria have effected the number of application that Touro is recieving for the MHS program? Has it caused a surge?

Just paid my enrollment deposit for the c/o 2014. I still have an interview at Western U MSMS program, but I really dig the changes that Touro has made to their program and would be very happy at TUN. Anyone else been admitted?

I know a lot of people that are currently in this program and their stories pretty much made me not apply even though I'm a Vegas resident. Not saying it's not doable, but I think that there are much better programs in the area like Midwestern and Western. Vegas is the **** though! And that's coming from someone who hates clubs and lounges and the whole "vegas" thing. Greatest city ever to live in!

Hi Everyone,

I am in the current MHS '13 class and just wanted to update you on the statistics. Out of last years MHS '12 class of 24, 6 are currently in the DO program, 3 are currently in the PA program, and I believe 1 got accepted to DO program in Kansas.

This year they do have a new criteria for a guaranteed acceptance to the DO program, which I believe is posted on the website. But it basically entails, meeting the general DO minimum requirements (3.0 gpa, 3.0 science gpa, 25 MCAT), getting As and Bs in all our classes, and ranking in the top 50% of the current DO class (this is the main deciding factor), and maintaining professionalism. People interested in the PA program are also guaranteed an interview.

Our class started off with 29, but we are now 21 (a majority dropped after the 2nd exam). Out of the 22 of us, 10 applied for the PA program. Of those 10, 7 have been accepted so far and 3 have been waitlisted. The rest of our class are applying for the DO program. Out of the 12 applying for the DO program, 3 have gotten the guaranteed acceptance. 1 person just took their MCAT, but will also get the guaranteed acceptance. 2 more people are taking the MCAT next week and depending on their performance, they should be getting the guaranteed acceptance as well. 2 people who didn't score in the top 50 were invited for an interview. However 1 has declined the interview, because they have gotten accepted elsewhere.

As for the program, I feel like there has been a lot of improvement. The faculty treats us a lot better, especially the ones specific for our program. I don't feel like an outcast and feel like the faculty really tries to help us. The MHS class from the year before really helped us out. Our classes this year were cut shorter so that the MCAT class could start earlier and have more time to prepare.

Could you comment on what a typical day looks like for an MHS student? I've heard that one of the program changes that was made includes the research portion if the program starting in the fall. Do you all do research on campus or are their opportunities to work at UNLV, Nevada Cancer Institute or do clinical research? What is the orientation program like and do students really have to purchase a laptop from TUN?

Hi Everyone,

I am in the current MHS '13 class and just wanted to update you on the statistics. Out of last years MHS '12 class of 24, 6 are currently in the DO program, 3 are currently in the PA program, and I believe 1 got accepted to DO program in Kansas.

This year they do have a new criteria for a guaranteed acceptance to the DO program, which I believe is posted on the website. But it basically entails, meeting the general DO minimum requirements (3.0 gpa, 3.0 science gpa, 25 MCAT), getting As and Bs in all our classes, and ranking in the top 50% of the current DO class (this is the main deciding factor), and maintaining professionalism. People interested in the PA program are also guaranteed an interview.

Our class started off with 29, but we are now 21 (a majority dropped after the 2nd exam). Out of the 22 of us, 10 applied for the PA program. Of those 10, 7 have been accepted so far and 3 have been waitlisted. The rest of our class are applying for the DO program. Out of the 12 applying for the DO program, 3 have gotten the guaranteed acceptance. 1 person just took their MCAT, but will also get the guaranteed acceptance. 2 more people are taking the MCAT next week and depending on their performance, they should be getting the guaranteed acceptance as well. 2 people who didn't score in the top 50 were invited for an interview. However 1 has declined the interview, because they have gotten accepted elsewhere.

As for the program, I feel like there has been a lot of improvement. The faculty treats us a lot better, especially the ones specific for our program. I don't feel like an outcast and feel like the faculty really tries to help us. The MHS class from the year before really helped us out. Our classes this year were cut shorter so that the MCAT class could start earlier and have more time to prepare.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using SDN Mobile

First semester is definitely a lot tougher than second semester. The masters program typically starts a month before the DO program, in that first month we take filler classes like research tools and journal club which are really laid back and easy. Once August hits, that's when we start taking classes with the DO students where we have class almost everyday. The earliest we start is 8am, and the latest we get out is 5pm except Fridays which we end at 3pm. The worst days are when we have lecture in the morning and have anatomy lab in the afternoon.

Research begins towards the end of Fall semester (Pick your PI and start on thesis proposal). However, a majority of it is conducted in the Spring semester. Most of the research is done here on campus, however there are a few who do clinical research outside of campus.

From what I recall orientation was a 2 day event. The first day we are mixed with all the PA, PT and OT programs and get our IDs, laptops, etc. The 2nd day is like 10 minutes where we get an introduction of the MHS program and get to meet everyone in the program.

Unfortunately, the laptop is required and is included in your tuition. The laptop isn't that bad in my opinion, and we have IT to help out if you ever have any issues.

Thanks for this very nice overview. :)

First semester is definitely a lot tougher than second semester. The masters program typically starts a month before the DO program, in that first month we take filler classes like research tools and journal club which are really laid back and easy. Once August hits, that's when we start taking classes with the DO students where we have class almost everyday. The earliest we start is 8am, and the latest we get out is 5pm except Fridays which we end at 3pm. The worst days are when we have lecture in the morning and have anatomy lab in the afternoon.

Research begins towards the end of Fall semester (Pick your PI and start on thesis proposal). However, a majority of it is conducted in the Spring semester. Most of the research is done here on campus, however there are a few who do clinical research outside of campus.

From what I recall orientation was a 2 day event. The first day we are mixed with all the PA, PT and OT programs and get our IDs, laptops, etc. The 2nd day is like 10 minutes where we get an introduction of the MHS program and get to meet everyone in the program.

Unfortunately, the laptop is required and is included in your tuition. The laptop isn't that bad in my opinion, and we have IT to help out if you ever have any issues.

Hi all.

I will also be attending the MHS program for the July 2013 cohort.

I've shadowed an MD, and have a letter of recommendation, but I've been told that they really want so see a letter from a DO.
Does anyone know if there are opportunities to shadow any of the DO physicians at Touro, while attending the MHS program.
Is there even enough time for this type extracurricular activity? I've heard that the program is very time consuming.

Also, I'd appreciate if the existing MHS students comment of the level of difficulty of the science courses, as compared to undergrad science courses.
I spoke with some of the Touro faculty, and they said that the volume of material and the level of difficulty is so immense that it comes as a shock for new MHS students.
Is this true?

Thanks

Just paid my enrollment deposit for the c/o 2014. I still have an interview at Western U MSMS program, but I really dig the changes that Touro has made to their program and would be very happy at TUN. Anyone else been admitted?
Yes, I'll be attending too.
Have you taken your MCAT yet?

Retaking it on 26-April. Its a shame because my original score was acceptable but it expired. :-(

Yes, I'll be attending too.
Have you taken your MCAT yet?

I too have been accepted!!!! so excited to get the ball rolling!

Hi all.

I will also be attending the MHS program for the July 2013 cohort.

I've shadowed an MD, and have a letter of recommendation, but I've been told that they really want so see a letter from a DO.
Does anyone know if there are opportunities to shadow any of the DO physicians at Touro, while attending the MHS program.
Is there even enough time for this type extracurricular activity? I've heard that the program is very time consuming.

Also, I'd appreciate if the existing MHS students comment of the level of difficulty of the science courses, as compared to undergrad science courses.
I spoke with some of the Touro faculty, and they said that the volume of material and the level of difficulty is so immense that it comes as a shock for new MHS students.
Is this true?

Thanks

Most of my classmates that didn't have a DO letter were able to shadow in the first month of the program. However, they had to find a person on their own. Despite there being a number of DO faculty on campus, Touro, was unable to help the MHS class find someone to shadow. So basically, you have to find someone on your own.

Compared to undergrad, I wouldn't say that the content is that much more difficult, it's just that there is so much information to learn in such little time that it is hard to keep up with sometimes. Just be prepared to study A LOT haha. This program is completely doable and I wish you all the best of luck. I look forward to meeting you all this summer!

Most of my classmates that didn't have a DO letter were able to shadow in the first month of the program. However, they had to find a person on their own. Despite there being a number of DO faculty on campus, Touro, was unable to help the MHS class find someone to shadow. So basically, you have to find someone on your own.

Compared to undergrad, I wouldn't say that the content is that much more difficult, it's just that there is so much information to learn in such little time that it is hard to keep up with sometimes. Just be prepared to study A LOT haha. This program is completely doable and I wish you all the best of luck. I look forward to meeting you all this summer!

Thanks for your great feedback.

Last edited:
I recommend taking the MCAT before classes with DO start in August, because once that starts, there really is no time to study for the MCAT.

Man, i feel bad for the 2012 class... Just a random person reading the thread...

Just wanting to see who all has been accepted? Anyone started looking at housing in Vegas? I interviewed at Western last weekend for the MSMS program and while there are some aspects of the program that I like better than TUN's, overall, I think that TUN's program will be a better fit for me and will make me a more competitive applicant. Plus, there seems to be some confusion as to whether Western will be offering the linkage program for the incoming cohort; that takes away a LOT of incentive to attend school there. Accordingly, I will be attending TUN this fall. :) I'll be moving on the 28th of June and have already started looking at apartment rentals. So to all those that have been accepted and are attending, I look forward to seeing you in the fall! BTW, if we get enough interest, lets start a Facebook group (if there isn't one already!)

Does anyone know if the class is full already? All my options for this cycle fell through so far and I just found out about this.

I don't know. The deadline is 1-May but they are on rolling admissions so there may be no more than a few seats left. Touro California is accepting apps till 13-May but they are only admiting 15 students this cohort.

Does anyone know if the class is full already? All my options for this cycle fell through so far and I just found out about this.

I urge you to take a look at Midwestern-Glendale and Midwestern-Downers Grove. They are both still taking apps (Till Aug I think) and they both admit fairly large classes and the interview is by phone. Both programs are pretty costly at over 30K each.

Thanks! I was just looking into those right now.

Just wanting to see who all has been accepted? Anyone started looking at housing in Vegas? I interviewed at Western last weekend for the MSMS program and while there are some aspects of the program that I like better than TUN's, overall, I think that TUN's program will be a better fit for me and will make me a more competitive applicant. Plus, there seems to be some confusion as to whether Western will be offering the linkage program for the incoming cohort; that takes away a LOT of incentive to attend school there. Accordingly, I will be attending TUN this fall. :) I'll be moving on the 28th of June and have already started looking at apartment rentals. So to all those that have been accepted and are attending, I look forward to seeing you in the fall! BTW, if we get enough interest, lets start a Facebook group (if there isn't one already!)

Hey, western linked all of the students from Last years class. They still have the linkage program and they intend to link again. But I wish I knew about TUN before

YEs I found a place about 11 minutes from campus near the 215. However, there are apartments right across the street for the university.

Yes I found a place about 11 minutes form campus near the 215 . However,there are apartments right across the street from the university.

I've been accepted, and currently live in Vegas. My family and I will be moving to Henderson, close to the school, in the next month or so (we have a couple of apts lined up).

I was reading the earlier posts, and must say, I'm SO relieved the program has improved... I got a bit nervous until I kept reading into the more recent posts... whew! We really should start a FB group. See you in the fall!!

Another update!

9 out of the 10 PA applicants have been accepted. 6 DO applicants have gotten the guaranteed acceptance. 1 DO applicant has gotten accepted the traditional route. 1 DO applicant has been waitlisted. There have been no rejections this year. Just thought I'd let you all know! Invite me to the FB group whenever you all create one and I can answer more questions there!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the great updates Fallon.

From your experience, do you think that maintaining high grades in the science courses is doable with the new block examination system.

Also, how hard do you think it is to stay in the top 50% of the DO's?

Thanks

From my experience, yes it is very doable as long as you set your mind to it. Discipline is key to maintain good grades and stay in the top 50%. The people who were able to get in my class, put in a lot of hours studying, hired tutors, stayed hours in anatomy lab, etc. So basically, if you just put in the work, you should be able to stay in the top 50%.

I just got accepted into the 2014 July cohort. Anyone else currently in the process or planning to?

I just got accepted into the 2014 July cohort. Anyone else currently in the process or planning to?

Congratulations on your acceptance :) ! I applied recently for the July 2014 cohort also and waiting to hear back. I got an email saying that my application was under review on 3/25. I was wondering how long does it take them to reply back? In the email it said 4 weeks, but was wondering if they send out a decision earlier.

Congratulations on your acceptance :) ! I applied recently for the July 2014 cohort also and waiting to hear back. I got an email saying that my application was under review on 3/25. I was wondering how long does it take them to reply back? In the email it said 4 weeks, but was wondering if they send out a decision earlier.

It should not take long. You should hear something back by this Friday. Good luck. See in orientation.