Touro-ny

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone who interviewed today or yesterday any info of how it went?

i interview on the 6th so yes, i'd like to know.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm new to this site...my first real "post"

So I interviewed on monday...and the process wasn't that bad (although i guess you can never really tell how well you did). I've had several job interviews that were much longer and more intimidating, so that part of the process was refreshing. Pretty down to eath....also, since I applied really late into this season, I was just thankful to get an interview in the first place.

My panel basically just asked me why I wanted to be a doctor and then went from there. Nothing ridiculoulsly challenging or intimidating. The staff seemed really nice, and the other prospective students were all cool as well. Hmm...what else? Since I used to live near west harlem I love the area, but it was super cold outside...so stay warm! :)

Finally, for those who have posted about not being an "minority" applicant...if you're aware of yourself I don't think it should be a problem. They seem to be looking for a combination of good peeps and qualified applicants (for what I gathered at least). Of couse...if you honestly go by the false notion that Harlem is unsafe, and you are uncomfortable working with people of color...then I would probably consider another school.

Hope this helps and best of luck (I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of us)!

I interviewed on Monday too... I've been busy catching up on school that I missed!

They started with breakfast and an introduction from Mr. Figueroa, the dean came in and talked for a little bit. He gave a presentation of the school and their goals and then showed pics of the school (same ones from the website). Then we split into 3 groups of 3 interviewees (9 applicants per day). One group did an interview, one group did a meeting with the admissions director and you walked out side around the the actual building the school will be in, and one group met with fin aid counselors. You rotated through each station for about 40-45 min each. The admissions meeting and the fin aid meeting were to just ask basic questions. They are still working out some kinks, still adding features to the school (they asked what else we would like to see in the school- and basically wrote it down like a brainstorm), the housing options are not workout yet- but they are thinking of doing the YMCA or dormitory style options. After that, we had lunch, then they took us North General Hospital in cabs for a tour of the hospital because that is going to be one of the clinical rotation hospitals. Then cabs back to the offices and then we were on our way.

My interview was only 15-20 minutes, very quick. They were closed file, so the interviewers knew nothing about you until you walked in the door. It was my first interview and I felt a little like they were trying to push your buttons and see how well composed you are. They only asked the basic questions(they read them off a typed sheet of paper), nothing too unique. It was one male interviewer, and one female. In my interview, the female only asked 2 questions. These were most of the questions i was asked:
Tell me about yourself
Why DO?
What is one of your greatest accomplishments?
Obviously you must have weaknesses too, what are they?
Biggest Problem in health care today? Whose fault is it?
Why would you want to move to the east coast?
What have you learned from the homeless that would make a good physcian?
What can you contribute to the profession?
Are you a problem solver?

My interview was short, other people's were longer... just depends who is interviewing you. The three people that interviewed with the same doctors that I did all felt the man was pushy/unemotional/non-converstational... so we will see how it turns out! Good luck to everyone else who interviews there!

Members don't see this ad :)
So were all three students being interviewed at the same time or did you go individually? Just trying to work out what they mean by panel interview.

whoa...that interviewer sounds pretty intense! Mine asked some similar questions (i.e. accomplishments...but were less direct). Most of my interview evolved around why I wanted to be a doctor and me talking about my graduate school work...

ps. hope you had a safe flight back to west coast! :)

So were all three students being interviewed at the same time or did you go individually? Just trying to work out what they mean by panel interview.

in theory it should be 2 interviewers and one student in the room...I think SOME people on my interview day ended up with one-on-one because an interviewer was not available at that time.
it's not a "panel interview" in the mare island sense of having more than one student in the room and more than one interviewer...

i am going to be complete at Touro ny by friday when they receive everything, did u guys get a letter/email to say that you were complete, also how do they send interview invites?

i am going to be complete at Touro ny by friday when they receive everything, did u guys get a letter/email to say that you were complete, also how do they send interview invites?

after you send in your secondary/letters, they will notify you via email if they want to interview you. as far as i know, they do not contact you simply to tell you that your application is complete, but it's not a bad idea to follow up with them on your own.

I called to verify I was complete and the director was out of town so a message was taken...and then he got back to me a few days later to let me know I was complete. Good luck!

it seems like i had a slightly different interview experience... mine was closer to 40-45 mins & all of the questions were very general and specific to my interests/experiences since it was closed file. one interviewer asked most of the questions and he was very straightforward/blunt in the beginning, but by the end, both of the interviewers were joking around and became very conversational.

also, they've gotten an insane amount of apps right now and they seemed a bit overwhelmed at the moment, so i wouldn't worry if you don't hear back from them soon. you get an interview invite via email and i didn't get a special notification of my app being complete. they also told us we should hear back about an acceptance/rejection/waitlist within 3 weeks.

I thought the interview day was great. Not very stressful. All the clinical rotations will be in NYC

I thought the interview day was great. Not very stressful. All the clinical rotations will be in NYC
That's great! Will all the hospitals be in/around Upper Manhattan or will students be training it out to Far Rockaway?

Here is a partial list of the rotation locations

Woodhill
North General
Columbia Presbyterian
Flushing
Harlem
St. John
Staten Island
Lincoln

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they like the other Touro and require a deposit within one week of the acceptance letter?

Thanks!

it seems like i had a slightly different interview experience... mine was closer to 40-45 mins & all of the questions were very general and specific to my interests/experiences since it was closed file. one interviewer asked most of the questions and he was very straightforward/blunt in the beginning, but by the end, both of the interviewers were joking around and became very conversational.

also, they've gotten an insane amount of apps right now and they seemed a bit overwhelmed at the moment, so i wouldn't worry if you don't hear back from them soon. you get an interview invite via email and i didn't get a special notification of my app being complete. they also told us we should hear back about an acceptance/rejection/waitlist within 3 weeks.

that sounds exactly like my interview! i think we had the same people...haha
so they changed the response time to 3 weeks? Initially they said 6 weeks...Then I remember the director saying they were impressed and it might be faster. anyone?

Woodhill
North General
Columbia Presbyterian
Flushing
Harlem
St. John
Staten Island
Lincoln

don't think you can reach these hospitals by the MTA subway system; some are quite far and difficult to get to.

don't think you can reach these hospitals by the MTA subway system; some are quite far and difficult to get to.
Seriously. Well, the bus and the LIRR will get you a lot of places. And I used to ride the Staten Island ferry with my best friend from high school. It's kinda neat going on a boat every day...

What's NOT clear is if you HAVE to do all your rotations in the city of if you simply have that option...I think they're formatting it like Touro-NV where everything is set up so you stay local (in that case I think you have to stay in NYC)...Though, I do recall us discussing 4th year rotations being wherever...Anyone else?

what do you guys think the living situation is going to be like around the area? When i spoke with the director he said that the YMCA would have dorms for about 800/month. What do you guys plan on doing if accepted?

ya i think on the website or in an email they said turnaround time to find out is 6 weeks, but when i asked there mr. figueroa said 2-3 weeks, which is excellent for us! the earlier we know the better.

it seemed like the only viable housing option as of now is the ymca, i think in a few years they'll have more options and have established relations with housing in the area. i personally am not quite sure what i'll do for housing b/c i don't foresee living at the y, but i'll tackle that problem if i hear good news.

ya i think on the website or in an email they said turnaround time to find out is 6 weeks, but when i asked there mr. figueroa said 2-3 weeks, which is excellent for us! the earlier we know the better.

it seemed like the only viable housing option as of now is the ymca, i think in a few years they'll have more options and have established relations with housing in the area. i personally am not quite sure what i'll do for housing b/c i don't foresee living at the y, but i'll tackle that problem if i hear good news.

Likewise...Though I haven't checked out "the y," I'm not sure that'd be my first choice living situation.
they are going to guarantee housing for those accepted, it's just they don't know where...it's something they're negociating at the moment.

Hi, for those of you already interviewed, and more specifically those out-of-state:
Anyone have a sense of how they feel about out of state applicants? Any other questins specific for out-of-staters?

For all interviewees:
What sort of population demographics are they primarily expecting to treat? (Hispanic, African-American, homeless and other underserved populations)

Are they predominatly focused on primary-care medicine, working with underserved populations?

Finally, so how did you like the facilities?(thumbs up/down)

I have an interview on February 14th, so I just want to be as prepared as possible. Any feedback will be appreciated

Woodhill
North General
Columbia Presbyterian
Flushing
Harlem
St. John
Staten Island
Lincoln

That's a nice list to start off with if everything was worked out for 3rd year.

When you are on tough rotations such as Medicine, Surgery, and Obgyn with long hours and call you will want to avoid a 1 hour commute for 6-12 weeks. Hopefully the school can work something out so you can do a bulk of your training in one hospital.

I've been in Woodhull (maybe the woodhill is a typo) hospital and it serves a large hispanic/african-american population in Brooklyn. It's a decent sized hospital but I am not aware of it being a teaching hospital. The J,M,Z line will drop you off directly in front of the hospital.

that sounds exactly like my interview! i think we had the same people...haha
so they changed the response time to 3 weeks? Initially they said 6 weeks...Then I remember the director saying they were impressed and it might be faster. anyone?

I think I might have had the same as well...very informal. Did you have the Polish PhD and female D.O. on your panel? Hmm...regardless of what happens they both seemed very nice and were in no way confrontational.

I think I might have had the same as well...very informal. Did you have the Polish PhD and female D.O. on your panel? Hmm...regardless of what happens they both seemed very nice and were in no way confrontational.

Yea! Hahaha...
Agreed...Definitely got good vibes afterwards...We'll see what happens!

Hi, for those of you already interviewed, and more specifically those out-of-state:
Anyone have a sense of how they feel about out of state applicants? Any other questins specific for out-of-staters?

For all interviewees:
What sort of population demographics are they primarily expecting to treat? (Hispanic, African-American, homeless and other underserved populations)

ALL OF THE ABOVE...YES, the focus is on urban medicine and predominantly underserved urban communities.

Are they predominatly focused on primary-care medicine, working with underserved populations?

DEFINITELY an emphasis on primary care from what I gathered at the interview.

Finally, so how did you like the facilities?(thumbs up/down)

WE CAN'T ANSWER THAT ONE! The building is still under contruction and we couldn't enter for liability reasons...We pretty much saw the same architectural schematics as those online, though we toured from the outside. I have faith that the facilities are going to be great. They have a lot of hookups/funding/backing...The school has been getting a lot of publicity as the "medical school in harlem." If you've been to touro-las vegas, they're modeling everything (especially lab layout) after that campus. They mentioned learning from their mistakes/kinks with touro-las vegas in terms of setup (i.e. at this school they will have OMM benches that are electronically adjustable for people of different heights, etc).

I have an interview on February 14th, so I just want to be as prepared as possible. Any feedback will be appreciated

The interview was very casual and laid back...It is closed file, so they don't know anything about you beforehand...Just relax and be prepared to let them get to know you in person. You will likely have 2 people interviewing you, though i think some people only had one person.

SEE ABOVE IN QUOTES

Thank you to all of those who've shared your interview experiences. Gives us who are still expecting to hear from them a good idea of what to expect. Thanks a lot!! :D

For those that interviwed already, how does this school rank on your list? and for everyone else, what are the chances that you will attend if you got an interview and acceptance?

For those that interviwed already, how does this school rank on your list? and for everyone else, what are the chances that you will attend if you got an interview and acceptance?

honestly, i'd been waiting for it to open for months, despite what people were joking about on sdn, i.e. "touro-harlem is a dream, an illusion, it does not and will not exist..."
i have put a "safety" deposit down elsewhere,but i really think i would give the school a chance, it has a lot of solid potential...
there will be some expected kinks at first, yes, (housing, rotations, curriculum)...but nothing major-
i think...not sure how much that matters to me, because i really feel the program is strong, the school will get recognition/backing (dr. diamond, the dean, is well-known in the medical community, has held a lot of important positions in NY state, (including setting up rotations/programs at nycom) and that will definitely hook things up.
I'm confident they have/will learn from their experience opening other DO schools.
i will say one thing though, i really really think if you don't have a genuine committment to serving and working with underserved urban communities, you will NOT be happy there...not to be rude, but i did get the impression that several of my fellow "suburbanite" interviewees were a little uneasy being there...
Anyone else?

For those who got interview invites, did you get an email confirmation on your interview date? or did they send you something in the mail instead?

I got an email confirmation with directions and recommended places to stay.

How long did it take for you guys to get an interview invitation after being complete?

I got an email confirmation with directions and recommended places to stay.

How long did u wait until you got an email confirmation? I actually called in to schedule the appointment, and emailed to follow-up, yet I still haven't heard anything yet...

around 2-3days.

they are swamped w/ apps though.
give them time.

honestly, i'd been waiting for it to open for months, despite what people were joking about on sdn, i.e. "touro-harlem is a dream, an illusion, it does not and will not exist..."
i have put a "safety" deposit down elsewhere,but i really think i would give the school a chance, it has a lot of solid potential...
there will be some expected kinks at first, yes, (housing, rotations, curriculum)...but nothing major-
i think...not sure how much that matters to me, because i really feel the program is strong, the school will get recognition/backing (dr. diamond, the dean, is well-known in the medical community, has held a lot of important positions in NY state, (including setting up rotations/programs at nycom) and that will definitely hook things up.
I'm confident they have/will learn from their experience opening other DO schools.
i will say one thing though, i really really think if you don't have a genuine committment to serving and working with underserved urban communities, you will NOT be happy there...not to be rude, but i did get the impression that several of my fellow "suburbanite" interviewees were a little uneasy being there...
Anyone else?

I feel the same way clement, I was excited when I saw a school open up in harlem NY, and applied the very first day. my interview is comming up ,and of all the interviews I have recieved, this is the one I am most excited about. If I get in this school it will be a serious contender for me. I was just curious as to how everyone else feels about it, and what kind of class the first class of touro-ny would be like. Any other imput?

I have to admit I am pretty excited about the interview next week (Feb 6). I just got accepted by number one choice (same school, different location) and I plan on going there but I definitely want to check out the new school.
I do plan on doing rotations in New York and I do want to help our underserved communities and from what I hear New York is an AWESOME place to be in.

I don't know why there is so much negativity lurking around, but I don't let it bother me. I have full confidence that the New York branch will be exemplary in the near future.

I have to admit I am pretty excited about the interview next week (Feb 6). I just got accepted by number one choice (same school, different location) and I plan on going there but I definitely want to check out the new school.
I do plan on doing rotations in New York and I do want to help our underserved communities and from what I hear New York is an AWESOME place to be in.

I don't know why there is so much negativity lurking around, but I don't let it bother me. I have full confidence that the New York branch will be exemplary in the near future.

Congrats on your acceptance! If you really want to work with underserved communities and rotate in NY, then I think you are going really like Touro-NY. I have to admit the fact that it is New York City makes all the difference for me. I love San Francisco and other urban areas (chicago, boston, philly, etc.), but I personally feel NYC tops the list. I lived there for 2 years during grad school and can honestly say there was never a dull moment. The culture and diversity of the place makes it alive for me (and unfortunately not magnolia's bakery and other overrated touristy spots)!! As for the school...it looks like it's gonna be pretty nice. Rotations in Harlem and other underserved areas throughout NYC make it a top choice for me. My background is in social work...I lived near West Harlem for a year and worked in the Bronx, so I would absolutely love to return to the area. Hmm...I'm thinking so much so, that I'd probably even consider re-applying next year if I don't get accepted. Finally, the only reason I may put it a few points ahead of NYCOM is the actual physical location of the school. NYCOM seems to have awesome rotation sites and obviously a great reputation, but it is in a really boring (to me at least) part of New York. Both are mad expensive (in terms of housing), but if you live in the city you a have a greater chance of being exposed to a diverse group of people (in terms of race, class, etc.)...not so much in Long Island.

I have an interview on the 7th. G-ProteinStar-
I am also stoked about the location. I am leaning toward M.I. campus as well. PM me if you're going to be hanging out through the 7th.

after interviewing earlier this week, i too am also very interested in this school even though I already have a huge deposit down at another school that I loved when I interviewed. Coming from Baltimore I have a good idea of the patient population I will be interacting with in the underserved areas of NYC if I go to Touro-Harlem. I am predicting a large African-American population (and maybe Hispanic so learning medical spanish will help), lots of diabetes and complications from diabetes, high-blood pressure, and lots of different unique cases from the different backgrounds of the patients that we will be in contact with that students probably won't see if they were in school in a suburban or rural area. High population density means that the hours in the hospital will always be extremely busy and there will be little, if any down time when we are working during rotations. The curriculum will be extra tough to make sure that the first class has a high COMLEX pass rate. These are some of the many factors that make being a Touro-Harlem student extremely difficult.

However it balances out because: 1) will be living in Manhattan 2) won't have to drive (though that is not a biggie for me personally) 3) lots of people to meet, and I would forsee a good social life if one can keep up with the coursework 4) have large pride in success once we graduate, if our board scores are high and have shown dedication to the community, I am sure we would have great LOR's for residency and could probably get matched in many great programs, AND if the program is not in NYC, it may be more relaxed than the rotation years. And so on...

anyways I would like to be accepted and have the opportunity to decide, med-school will be difficult regardless of where it is, perhaps knowing that you have to work extra hard because you are in the FIRST class of a new school will be more motivation, and I am sure the staff will do their best to give any support the students need.

I'm stop my rant here. I am sure this school isn't for everyone but then again, no school is.

cheers.

this school will probably be excellent down the line, i have no doubt about that. but as of right now, they have a lot to prove. the biggest drawback is that it seems like if you're the first class at ANY school, you'll inevitably have a hard time. a friend of mine was in her first year at a school that already had another established branch, but it didn't seem to help work out the initial kinks. and she said it's not just something she had to experience her first year, but every year ensuing b/c you're going to be the first years every year for 4 years.

my hope is that the admin and faculty are supportive enough to make that transition as easy as possible. during my interview, one of the faculty members mentioned that as a first year student, there may be a good deal of independent studying since the curriculum won't be set in stone yet.

...not so much in Long Island.

Sorry, :scared: this is just a little pet peeve of mine...you don't live IN Long Island, you live ON Long Island. You will then live in any town currently ON Long Island.

Former Long islander,
Krisss17

I feel the same way clement, I was excited when I saw a school open up in harlem NY, and applied the very first day. my interview is comming up ,and of all the interviews I have recieved, this is the one I am most excited about. If I get in this school it will be a serious contender for me. I was just curious as to how everyone else feels about it, and what kind of class the first class of touro-ny would be like. Any other imput?

I interviewed last week and I got the impression that they wanted their first class to be exceptional. They used the word "pioneers" as an example. During my interview they keep stressing how the first two years were going to be "very hard" up to the point were you'd be "crying" (his exact words). I'm thinking wouldn't it be hard no matter where you go to med school?

What's NOT clear is if you HAVE to do all your rotations in the city of if you simply have that option...I think they're formatting it like Touro-NV where everything is set up so you stay local (in that case I think you have to stay in NYC)...Though, I do recall us discussing 4th year rotations being wherever...Anyone else?

has anyone found out the answer to this question? i'm curious too as to whether or not students would have to stay in nyc their 3rd/4th year for rotations.

I interviewed last week and I got the impression that they wanted their first class to be exceptional. They used the word "pioneers" as an example. During my interview they keep stressing how the first two years were going to be "very hard" up to the point were you'd be "crying" (his exact words). I'm thinking wouldn't it be hard no matter where you go to med school?

during my interview, one of the main topics my interviewers were really emphasizing was the difficulty of the first two years of med school...
looking back at it, i don't think they were referring to touro-harlem per se necessarily, i think they just want to make sure we know what we're getting into (also because the interview is closed file so they don't know your background)...

IF in fact they were referring to touro-harlem specifically (with the toughness of curriculum) it is likely because of the fact that (and this is true) many people pick the school because of NYC, so they want to make sure you won't flunk out or whatever because you're not focusing...that you are picking the school for the right reasons, i.e. "i'm picking the school because it will give me exposure to underserved urban communities" versus "I want to have fun in NYC!" (not that anything is wrong with a good balance of both-
THEY just want to make sure you know the first few years you won't have a lot of time for the latter!! so don't get disappointed).

the second fact of the matter, IF they are referring to the tough curriculum specifically regarding their own program, is that it IS a new program, and WILL have kinks that not everyone will be willing to deal with....So I'm sure those could be reasons why they were stressing the toughness. Be prepared and realistic, that's all.
Food for thought.

Sorry, :scared: this is just a little pet peeve of mine...you don't live IN Long Island, you live ON Long Island. You will then live in any town currently ON Long Island.

Former Long islander,
Krisss17

sorry bout that! :) ...than exactly what I said before...but ON Long Island.

Just found out I was accepted today! Wow...that was pretty quick turn around...