TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i actually applied to their DO school and I got rejected and then they sent me an application for their masters program becuase they said I would have a better shot for that. I think you can still get the application, you should just email the school and they should send you one!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey meddy15 did you get a chance to see if the curriculum is actually medical school courses or are they graduate level? and what is the schedule like. i.e. how many units do you take each semester? Lastly...can you work part time while in the program? Thanks for your help!

Well, I know that you are not taking classes with the med students at the same time if that's what you are asking. All the masters students are in the same class. It is a total of 35 hrs to complete the masters program, thats why it starts in mid june. The summer is very intense because it is split into two sessions and you have to complete 25 hrs. These classes include histology, biochemistry, immunology, virology, etc. Its pretty rough so you probably can't work during the summer. Classes in the summer are monday thru thursday all day! If you get thru summer with a 3.5 gpa or above, then your a shoe in for next yrs med school class. Then, the fall and spring are really laid back. In the fall, I think you take like nine hours which is gross anatomy ( 6 hrs) and another science. Then, you have 1 extra credit for a service credit in harlem and an extra class in the spring. You only have classes like three days a week in the fall and spring! So the summer is the worst, if you can get thru two months of hell, then you'll be fine!

I found out last week I got accepted!!! NY is going to be a big change but it seems like a great opportunity!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! Sounds like a great program - I wish you the best of luck. Just wondering do you know if they consider out of state residents. Im from California so I don't know if that plays a factor.

Last edited:
I think more important then your location applying early will benefit you tremendously. I was accepted and i am from NJ.

Congrats Matisse! Wish you all the best. Any suggestions for those in the process of applying/interviewing.

Those who already got interviewed, can you please tell us how it went and what kind of questions gets asked...i have my interview this week and i would like to have an idea of how to prepare for it :)

thanks for the info! will def look into the health care sys of harlem

thanks for responding and the information. Extremely appreciated.

Does anyone know how much the tuition is for the master's program? Also, what day does it start in June? How tough is it to find living arrangements in the area? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
the tuition is 15,000 for the whole year and the program starts June 15. Not sure about living arrangements, because they do not have dorms, but there are plenty of apartments in the neighborhood.

I think that is a good question... If there isn't one we should start it up!

If you can start it up cool.. I want to be cool too hah

hey guys i just had my interview today and it went pretty smooth. Didnt know if it was because i had it during the school's spring break but the interview was very relaxed and comfortable and smooth. For those going through the process... some questions they asked me were the usual:

why a doctor
why not nurse, physician assistant... what do you know about physician assistant
why osteopathic medicine over allopathic
whats the biggest health care issue, how would you help to resolve it

thats all thats coming to memory, was surprised the strength weakness question didnt come up but i found a way to incorporate it into my other answers. Well good luck everyone and I hope i hear about an acceptance soon. Oh and im looking forward to the facebook group.

Does anybody have a link to this program? Thanks.

Just contact Obed at tourocom admissions and he will supply you with emails with the info on the program

Its official!!! There is a Facebook group for us kids!!!

Its "TouroCOM-NY Class of 2014"

(I figured I make it "class of 2014" since we are all working towards that plus it sounds optimistic/encouraging group to be part of or do you guys think its better to re-name it as "Class of 2010 MS"? Let me know, thanks!)

And, join ASAP so I am not the only one in it. Yikes!!! Hahaha

People that got accepted to this program join this group already you know you want in!

hey guys! i have an interview on the 14th. did fly in from a different state? if so, did TOURO cover your flight?

I interviewed with them from a different state and they did not cover my bus fare. I met this other interviewee from a southern state and they did not cover hers either

thx, blessedbumpsy32. have u heard anything since your interview with them?

not yet :( I am on pins and needles!!!!!!!! lol I really loved that school so I am praying that I get in! I actually feel like I am supposed to be there. They said they are looking to fill the class with 40 to 45 people I think that is a big class!! I am optimistic! I think this program is for me!

im sure u will get in. u sound passionate about the school and if i can extrapolate that from your written words im sure they could hear that in your voice at the interview.......hopefully i will be meeting you and the other students in June; i nterview on thursday.

just be yourself!!! when you have the interview and don't be nervous Dr. Williams is hella cool!!!! and she asks the typical question why DO and not MD and do you know about the area have questions for her also

Congrats to all who are in the class and good luck to everyone who is still having interviews. I had a quick question about the financial aid, is anyone using federal stafford/grad plus loans. if yes, which lenders were available to you. I tried chase but it seems like its not accepting it. Any ideas?? tomorrow the deadline:/

i was wondering if we have to have completed the mcat and what scores you guys got for this program?

thanks

Hello all, i was wondering if anyone has applied or is applying to the tourocom masters program for summer 2010? I understand the tuition is 15,000..does anyone know if government financial aid will help out with this fee or since its a pipeline program it wont? I have emailed Trevor Jackman and am waiting for a reply in reference to this. What are general impressions of the school and the Masters program in general?

Hello, I am a student interested in applying to the masters program for summer 2010. How was your experience in the program in general? Any advice? How difficult and or tedius was the application process? Thank you

Touro definitely has it's ducks in a row this time around! Many of us got accepted last year only a few weeks before classes began.

If you are looking for certainty in this journey to becoming a doctor and have not been accepted or are still unclear if this is the profession your cut out for then this Master's program is your answer. Once your in they do everything they can to help you succeed. You get more support in the years to come in medical scchool as well. The course load over the summer is heavy and exhausting. You will forget you are a living human being but if you get through it the rest of the program is a breeze. Not to say you don't still work your butt off but nothing compares to what you go through in the summer.

This is only the second year of the Master's Program...(2010 Class being the 3rd). But from the first year's Master's class about 90% made it into the DO School.

One of the BEST things this program has to offer is our Anatomy lab. We get hands-on anatomy lab with over 25 cadivers. You won't find this in every Master's program. Also, ever class you take is a medical school course so you get exposed to it twice in your medical school career.

You have to like NYC and better yet you have to be okay with Harlem. Whether your a commuter or NYC dweller it is definitely unlike any other place in the country.

Hey Desde,

I am applying to this program, have you sent in your app?

Hello all, i was wondering if anyone has applied or is applying to the tourocom masters program for summer 2010? I understand the tuition is 15,000..does anyone know if government financial aid will help out with this fee or since its a pipeline program it wont? I have emailed Trevor Jackman and am waiting for a reply in reference to this. What are general impressions of the school and the Masters program in general?

Touro definitely has it's ducks in a row this time around! Many of us got accepted last year only a few weeks before classes began.

If you are looking for certainty in this journey to becoming a doctor and have not been accepted or are still unclear if this is the profession your cut out for then this Master's program is your answer. Once your in they do everything they can to help you succeed. You get more support in the years to come in medical scchool as well. The course load over the summer is heavy and exhausting. You will forget you are a living human being but if you get through it the rest of the program is a breeze. Not to say you don't still work your butt off but nothing compares to what you go through in the summer.

This is only the second year of the Master's Program...(2010 Class being the 3rd). But from the first year's Master's class about 90% made it into the DO School.

One of the BEST things this program has to offer is our Anatomy lab. We get hands-on anatomy lab with over 25 cadivers. You won't find this in every Master's program. Also, ever class you take is a medical school course so you get exposed to it twice in your medical school career.

You have to like NYC and better yet you have to be okay with Harlem. Whether your a commuter or NYC dweller it is definitely unlike any other place in the country.

Hey thanks for that, could you give some advice for interviews? How should we prepare?

would you guys be willing to share some of your stats?

I want to know what the avg gpa is...i know they say 2.5 but im wondering if it is higher or lower..

I'm also applying for the June 2010 class. Hope to send everything by Monday. If any of the students from 09 can describe their experience with the whole program then that could really help us new applicants. I know the summer is hardest part of the program, with all the science courses but how is rest of the classes? How many of the 09 students will make it to the 2010 DO class.

Thanks!:)

Hey, Did Trevor replied back to you about the tuition?

So I went to Touro's website to read up on the demongraphics and stats for this program..it said that the avg MCAT was 19- I believed that, but the cum GPA was 3.8?!!! REALLY? please tell me this is not true!!! if it is. i am in trouble! thanks so much!!!

So I went to Touro's website to read up on the demongraphics and stats for this program..it said that the avg MCAT was 19- I believed that, but the cum GPA was 3.8?!!! REALLY? please tell me this is not true!!! if it is. i am in trouble! thanks so much!!!

Yea I saw that...seems really strange...Especially when you compare it to the year before but just in case...

I should also mention that I e-mailed the program and they said that an additional criteria is being evaluated for guaranteed admission which is going to be either a certain score on the MCAT or the passing of a different standardized exam.

Does anyone know any other 1 year programs that will guarantee admission to their med school if you meet a certain criteria?

Yea I saw that...seems really strange...Especially when you compare it to the year before but just in case...

I should also mention that I e-mailed the program and they said that an additional criteria is being evaluated for guaranteed admission which is going to be either a certain score on the MCAT or the passing of a different standardized exam.

Does anyone know any other 1 year programs that will guarantee admission to their med school if you meet a certain criteria?

Are you looking for DO or MD programs? As far as DO programs..Touro college is the only one I know of..although there are programs that from what I hear and understand, don't make a guarantee on paper (for liability reasons) but like to keep their students and these are Touro-Nevada, Midwestern, Kansas,PCOM, LECOM, just to name a few. you should check them out as some of the deadlines have passed I believe.

Thanks,

yea I really like that Touro-NY has the guarantee on paper, it makes it a very tempting option. Your future would be 100% in your own hands which I really like. I also like that the bulk of the work is done over the summer, so that you will pretty much know if you are gonna get in or not by the end of the summer which is much better than having to wait.

Is there a gap year after you complete the program? or if you complete the program in 2010, do you automatically matriculate into the Fall 2011 DO class?

Also, does anyone know if you are required to fill out an application to the DO program if you enroll in the masters or do they take care of that and your only job is to make sure you get a 3.5.

I know it's been posted earlier but if there are any former Touro Masters students who could PLEASE share their experiences in the program, I would really appreciate it. How many of you were there? How many of you got that coveted 3.5 and made it into the DO program? How difficult was it? How supportive and helpful were the teachers and staff?

HEY YALL!!!!! Im from the Masters Class of 2010... Sorry that not alot of us have been on here but we have been working hard lol anyways I just want to say if you applying to this program to avoid the MCAT... nix that idea lol It is a pipeline but things have changed with our program. They have implemented the MCAT and a Anatomy Standard Exam that we have to pass in order to matriculate. Depending on your GPA you either have to take BOTH exams or ONE exam (depending on which one you feel comfy with).

HEY YALL!!!!! Im from the Masters Class of 2010... Sorry that not alot of us have been on here but we have been working hard lol anyways I just want to say if you applying to this program to avoid the MCAT... nix that idea lol It is a pipeline but things have changed with our program. They have implemented the MCAT and a Anatomy Standard Exam that we have to pass in order to matriculate. Depending on your GPA you either have to take BOTH exams or ONE exam (depending on which one you feel comfy with).

don't you need an mcat score, just to be admitted?

What is considered a "passing" mcat score?

and I thought they only work you hard over the two summer sessions...lol

Ok this program we work hard throughout. The summer is very rigorous. They fall and spring is a not rigorous but you still work hard. The MCAT is need to get into the Masters program but there was a point when the MCAT wasnt need to get into the medical school. I am not going to say what a passing score is because it may not be the same for your class.

don't you need an mcat score, just to be admitted?

What is considered a "passing" mcat score?

and I thought they only work you hard over the two summer sessions...lol