TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys I interviewed for the DO program in Middletown on 3/7 and still haven't heard back. I'm wondering what I should do because when they make a decision, they will either accept, reject, waitlist, or offer a spot in the post bac. If I get offered a spot, then I don't have to go about applying at all which is nice, but it worries me that the deadline is in two weeks. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm have you tried contacting them for an update? The deadline for the master's (if that's what you meant by post bacc) was the 1st. Not sure what your options would be here, but maybe no news is good news.

No problem! And I think would have to go with Middletown. I had a much better overall experience at Middletown. It seemed to be more of a community and close-knit atmosphere, and felt the staff overall was a lot more caring and interested in me. I am actually genuinely surprised I was accepted at Harlem, I feel the interview and tour was very rushed, and no one really cared about the applicants. Feel free to disagree haha, but that's just how I personally felt.
I was actually considering applying to Middletown, and sent it in. Got my acceptance for Harlem right after! I think I'll go to Harlem though, since I see no way of commuting, via train, to Middletown. It would be a longer ride, for me. I never even got a tour! At least you got one. LOL

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I was just accepted into the program! I am super excited to be going to Touro! I am a recent graduate from UF. Major animal science, minor leadership. I have my EMT-B certification as well. Tons of volunteer and hands on training. Anyone else accepted and has any info on tuition, books, class schedule, orientation? I am going to see the school Wednesday, so if I find anything out I will post it on here. Good look to all of those who still need to hear!

Hey,
I was just accepted into Touro's Master! I come from Florida, graduated from UF ( Major in Microbiology and Cell Science). I am very excited to attend, what has been your experience in the program? How hard is it to maintain the 3.5?
Thank-you

Hey guys I interviewed for the DO program in Middletown on 3/7 and still haven't heard back. I'm wondering what I should do because when they make a decision, they will either accept, reject, waitlist, or offer a spot in the post bac. If I get offered a spot, then I don't have to go about applying at all which is nice, but it worries me that the deadline is in two weeks. Any thoughts?
I would go ahead and apply to the post bac just to be safe. They are taking awhile to get back to me too and when I emailed Beth, she said that they have received a ton of applications and it has put them behind.

I would go ahead and apply to the post bac just to be safe. They are taking awhile to get back to me too and when I emailed Beth, she said that they have received a ton of applications and it has put them behind.
Ya I'll give it until this Friday. If I don't hear back, I'll just apply. The other Touro post bacs were able to extract my LORs, statement, etc. from my AACOMAS, so I think doing it that late won't be a problem...

Does anyone know if a deposit is required to save my seat..?

Does anyone know if there is still room in the Harlem/Middletown cohorts for an application this late?

Did anyone who was accepted last Thursday get an email saying a decision had to be made by this Friday?

Members don't see this ad :)
They just told me they are extending the application for the postbac. Not sure for how long.

Does anyone know if there is still room in the Harlem/Middletown cohorts for an application this late?
They just told me they are extending the application for the postbac. Not sure for how long.
Oh ok! Was just going off the website "Online applications will be accepted from November 1 through April 1. All supporting materials must be received by April 15. Make sure you meet the academic requirements for the program before you apply." But that's awesome they're extending it!

Just a word of caution for incoming students. The hardest part of this program is obtaining a 3.5 GPA. Hopefully you're all aware that masters students are graded against each other. To achieve an A, you'll need to get the average + standard deviation. So if the average is 82 and the SD is 12, you need to get a 94 or above. It all sounds good in theory but it's actually very difficult. This semester, masters averages have been consistently high. You could be getting 88s on every exam and frankly, it won't be good enough.

Another variable that complicates this issue is that Touro is not systems based until second year. Which means you'll have a period of time where you have an exam every monday for a month. Or you'll have an exam on monday..then another exam on Friday..then another exam on the following Monday.

I strongly advise anyone who isn't sure if they can accomplish these things to think about giving the MCAT another try. It's a godawful test but at the very least, it's important to have a backup option. You don't want to find yourself in a position where you spend a year putting in work and getting grades that would be perfectly acceptable everywhere but Touro only to be told that you aren't good enough for medical school.

Reactions: 5 users
Just a word of caution for incoming students. The hardest part of this program is obtaining a 3.5 GPA. Hopefully you're all aware that masters students are graded against each other. To achieve an A, you'll need to get the average + standard deviation. So if the average is 82 and the SD is 12, you need to get a 94 or above. It all sounds good in theory but it's actually very difficult. This semester, masters averages have been consistently high. You could be getting 88s on every exam and frankly, it won't be good enough.

Another variable that complicates this issue is that Touro is not systems based until second year. Which means you'll have a period of time where you have an exam every monday for a month. Or you'll have an exam on monday..then another exam on Friday..then another exam on the following Monday.

I strongly advise anyone who isn't sure if they can accomplish these things to think about giving the MCAT another try. It's a godawful test but at the very least, it's important to have a backup option. You don't want to find yourself in a position where you spend a year putting in work and getting grades that would be perfectly acceptable everywhere but Touro only to be told that you aren't good enough for medical school.
This is the part about Touro that horrifies me lol. Praying to get into NOVA's program-they only require a 3.0 for automatic matriculation. It seems to be very cut-throat at Touro.

Reactions: 2 users
This is the part about Touro that horrifies me lol. Praying to get into NOVA's program-they only require a 3.0 for automatic matriculation. It seems to be very cut-throat at Touro.
I agree. I just got the invite to join the MS program and I have four weeks to decide, but I'm praying to get accepted elsewhere (or get off the ACOM wait list) because 94% in pretty much every class, against other very hungry and desperate people, is going to suck.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree. I just got the invite to join the MS program and I have four weeks to decide, but I'm praying to get accepted elsewhere (or get off the ACOM wait list) because 94% in pretty much every class, against other very hungry and desperate people, is going to suck.
exactly lol

I live 15 mins away from Nova. I'm waiting on them aswell.

Hey, if you are thinking to do summer anatomy or come to NY early but haven't figured out the housing situation yet. I have a room to sublet over the summer. Please inbox me for more details. The place is only 2 subway stops from the school or 15min walking.

Hey, if you are thinking to do summer anatomy or come to NY early but haven't figured out the housing situation yet. I have a room to sublet over the summer. Please inbox me for more details. The place is only 2 subway stops from the school or 15min walking.
Would you be able to give a little info on what this summer anatomy course actually is? I hear it's for no credit?

I was accepted to the MS program back in February but I haven't heard anything from the school since. I am interested in housing, class registration (possibly summer anatomy), buying books, etc., but I don't know what the appropriate next step is right now. Should I keep waiting until I hear back from the school? I am curious if others are in the same position. Thanks!

I was accepted to the MS program back in February but I haven't heard anything from the school since. I am interested in housing, class registration (possibly summer anatomy), buying books, etc., but I don't know what the appropriate next step is right now. Should I keep waiting until I hear back from the school? I am curious if others are in the same position. Thanks!
Same here! I called yesterday to confirm I was on the roster and everything since they didn't even respond to my MS response form a few weeks ago lol, and was told that they are running really late on "their end" and that there's nothing to worry about on my end and that I will receive an email within the next two weeks with all info I need..hope that helps

Same here! I called yesterday to confirm I was on the roster and everything since they didn't even respond to my MS response form a few weeks ago lol, and was told that they are running really late on "their end" and that there's nothing to worry about on my end and that I will receive an email within the next two weeks with all info I need..hope that helps

Does anyone know if a Facebook page has been started for our class?

Accepted yesterday! Really excited about the opportunity and living in NYC.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything about the waitlist?

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone offer any insight into places to live? I have heard Harlem is relatively cheap for Manhattan and am considering this option to be close to the school. On the other hand, if I could find a place significantly cheaper within ~30 train ride in Queens or Brooklyn I would also consider this. Likely will be looking for a roommate from our program, as this is probably most convenient for all!

Do they only count your latest grade in a class for retakes?

So I have a bit of a dilemma.

I have positions at the program both in Harlem and in Middletown and am not sure which to choose. Location is largely irrelevant-I am mostly concerned about the ability to move into the DO program. Which program would facilitate this the best--is one substantially more challenging than the other in regards to making the 3.5/classmate competition? If you are accepted to both programs, how have you or would you make this decision?

For what it is worth, I am a URM

So I have a bit of a dilemma.

I have positions at the program both in Harlem and in Middletown and am not sure which to choose. Location is largely irrelevant-I am mostly concerned about the ability to move into the DO program. Which program would facilitate this the best--is one substantially more challenging than the other in regards to making the 3.5/classmate competition? If you are accepted to both programs, how have you or would you make this decision?

For what it is worth, I am a URM
They make their acceptances solely based on the 3.5 GPA, so it is a matter of luck of who you get in your class as to whether or not you get it. I suggest going to the school location/building you like most because at this point, you will not know the make up of the class.

They make their acceptances solely based on the 3.5 GPA, so it is a matter of luck of who you get in your class as to whether or not you get it. I suggest going to the school location/building you like most because at this point, you will not know the make up of the class.
Thank you for your response. Are you a student in the Harlem campus? How do you like it?

Thank you for your response. Are you a student in the Harlem campus? How do you like it?
Sorry to bud in...I am a student at Harlem Campus (Masters). LOVE it!! Harlem is awesome. TouroCOM is cool. Anatomy is fun. The experience is what you make of it. You know why you're there. Work hard! Try your bust to keep up with lectures, but remember that everyone falls behind sometime. There have been plenty of times when I worried that I wasn't going to remember enough by Monday morning (when we take exams) but suddenly Sunday, it really started sticking (and sometimes not until the day of the exam lol). Just don't get stressed out enough that you quit. See it all the way through. The work you did last week matters and every bit of effort you put in adds up. You will learn a lot about yourself and what you can handle, in the program. Work hard and see it all the way through! You are more than capable!

"It's all in divine order" -Dr. Jeff Gardere

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry to bud in...I am a student at Harlem Campus (Masters). LOVE it!! Harlem is awesome. TouroCOM is cool. Anatomy is fun. The experience is what you make of it. You know why you're there. Work hard! Try your bust to keep up with lectures, but remember that everyone falls behind sometime. There have been plenty of times when I worried that I wasn't going to remember enough by Monday morning (when we take exams) but suddenly Sunday, it really started sticking (and sometimes not until the day of the exam lol). Just don't get stressed out enough that you quit. See it all the way through. The work you did last week matters and every bit of effort you put in adds up. You will learn a lot about yourself and what you can handle, in the program. Work hard and see it all the way through! You are more than capable!

No worries, thank you for your input.

For the master's program, is it graded on a curve? Or, can the entire class, in theory, get an A? Or do they rank students and require low grades? Thank you so much

Is the master's program very difficult to get a 3.5 in? Do they grade on a curve so that some students must get low grades? I am going to the middleton campus, thank you.

I thought Mondays were strictly test days? What are you being tested on on Fridays?

I thought Mondays were strictly test days? What are you being tested on on Fridays?
There is no "strictly" anything at Touro. We've had exams on Fridays more than once this semester (the last one being our Physiology exam on the 15th of this month). If a Monday is occupied due to another exam or a holiday, we can and will have exams on other days; usually Fridays.

For the master's program, is it graded on a curve? Or, can the entire class, in theory, get an A? Or do they rank students and require low grades? Thank you so much
The A is set by the average and standard deviation, so unfortunately not everyone can get an A on an exam. For example: the average for one of our exams this month was 83. The SD was 14. Those who got 97+ received an A.

Those who got the average of 83 received a B. Those who got below the average might have gotten a B-, etc. For this particular exam, almost half of the class got above 90 but a few people got in the 30s, 40s, etc..hence the average being 83. I hope that was clear!

The A is set by the average and standard deviation, so unfortunately not everyone can get an A on an exam. For example: the average for one of our exams this month was 83. The SD was 14. Those who got 97+ received an A.

Those who got the average of 83 received a B. Those who got below the average might have gotten a B-, etc. For this particular exam, almost half of the class got above 90 but a few people got in the 30s, 40s, etc..hence the average being 83. I hope that was clear!

So, even if you get a 90 or above, you get an A- or B+?

From what I gather, they make it so that some students must get low grades and thus not get into medical school? This is really worrying. So basically the program is developed to fail some students?

And what about the second semester, when the weak students fail out? So their will only be the smart students, and then they are still going to have the same curve? So that would be really hard!

Also, you take the main classes with the med students and are graded against them right? Or are you only graded against the master's students?

And what about the second semester, when the weak students fail out? So their will only be the smart students, and then they are still going to have the same curve? So that would be really hard!
Some students do get low grades, yes. Roughly 50% or so of the masters class matriculates to the DO class. The key is to score as high as possible so you can beat the average and standard deviation.

As far as I know, this year no one failed or dropped out between the fall and spring semesters. Last year, I think a lot more students dropped.