TOUROCOM NY - class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you take that summer anatomy course, does it mean you don't need to take anatomy again during the regular school year, and you can work as an anatomy lab assistant?

If you take that summer anatomy course, does it mean you don't need to take anatomy again during the regular school year, and you can work as an anatomy lab assistant?

You definitely still have to take anatomy even if you take the summer coarse. I think the purpose of taking the summer coarse is to refresh/prime yourself because of the large amount of information you have to take in the first year. Extra time in the anatomy lab is definitely not a bad thing! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting to look at laptops....is there a big preference by current students for mac or pc? I vaguely remember someone saying mac at my interview but I can't remember for sure. Just wanted to see if one was more compatible for lectures/course materials than the other.

who should i contact if i wanted to audit the course?

I'm not AwesoMe, i'VE just inseRted subtle subliminal messages into all of mY topiCal pOsts that make peOpLe like me more.

Why can I not stop thinking about how cool you are?

Thanks Gold 5, How about if you want to brush up on some anatomy before classes, do you recommend any resources? (btw, I do not want to spend $3500 on their summer course)

Personally, no I think it will be 1000 dollars wasted. Unless you are sitting there taking and studying for the the exam it will not truly be the same experience. I would ask DOCESPANA to find out what Dr Rich tests on (I think it is her notes but our class had another anat prof.) and how to study for anatomy. This way once you take the class you know what is important and WHAT TO STUDY!!! For us , lab helped for the practicals but Board Review Series Anatomy (amazon) +Acland's DVD Atlas of Human Anatomy (on amazon)+ University of Mich anat questions (online) where the core of my studying.

Has anyone started a group on facebook for the class of 2016?

Last edited:
I'm starting to look at laptops....is there a big preference by current students for mac or pc? I vaguely remember someone saying mac at my interview but I can't remember for sure. Just wanted to see if one was more compatible for lectures/course materials than the other.

Mac or PC it should not matter. Get what you like and make sure it can handle MS power point and an internet browser.

Not sure if this interests you, but I think it was mentioned at my interview day that we can audit that class for $1000, still pricey, but much less than I paid for it in undergrad & there's a cadaver...

If you have the money its not a bad idea. I wish I had that option, the masters students in the class are ahead of you already because they have taken most of the first year classes already including anatomy.

Its not a must, it just helps. Otherwise you will be freaking out until the first two tests like everyone else, you will be have plenty of company though,:laugh:

First semester is tough, get through it, give it your all and you will be fine.:thumbup:

as far as the audit goes: I think its a total waste of money. I've sweated it out like every med student before and after me did. I spent a good portion of my life in study rooms reading and rereading everything for anatomy. I put in the time and effort, and it turned out fine. To me, auditing the class is just paying to make yourself slightly less nervous but only a little more prepared. The hard stuff just takes sheer force of will and hours of studying to get down. And its the "training" to get you into the med student mind set. Getitng a first peek at it, but not for anything that counts, seems to diminish the impact of "crafting a good study regiment" in my mind.

Then again, the classes below me talk very highly of the auditing option and seemed to really like it. I personally dont understand why.

If you have the money its not a bad idea. I wish I had that option, the masters students in the class are ahead of you already because they have taken most of the first year classes already including anatomy.

This was the question on my mind before I started. I has barely a BS in science before I stared med school. And my thing was a lot of other people will have master's degrees, etc. and i will be really far behind. Once August 1st rolls around everyone is on the same playing field regardless of what they did before. If you study hard you will be fine, even ahead of those with advanced degrees or those who have taken a similar class before.

I think the spanish doctor hit it on the head: the summer course should be looked at as training to get into into the mindset of a medical student.

i would just relax during the summer, get a routine going like hitting the gym, yoga, tan, laundry, learn spanish (super useful for rotations)...and if you really want, do some light reading or watch the Ackland's videos Gold mentioned (they are great); they are $1000 cheaper and you get just about the same info (minus the cadaver in front of you...but the videos are all of cadavers anyway).

Hey guys! I'm a current first year and my roommate is looking to move out ASAP so I figured I'd go for the long shot and let you guys know about it.

I'm looking for a female roommate, and pets are ok (I have a cat). I live 2 blocks from school (127 & 5th) on the 2nd floor of a walk up brownstone. It is roughly 1200sq ft, 2br, and has gas heat and appliances. Your half of the rent would be 1175/mo + 75 for electricity and internet-gas, water, and trash are included. Here I am located within a 4 block radius of all of the major subway lines- 2,3,4,5,6,A,C,D,E and (which I think is awesome) the M60 bus which can take you to LaGuardia Airport in less than an hour stops right at the end of my street, so going up or downtown isn't a hassle. Obviously it's verrrrry early to secure an apartment, but I would preferably live with a fellow student as opposed to someone random. Also the lease will go through June 30 2013 (the end of your 1st year). Unfortunately after that, my landlord only offers 2 year leases, but who knows, we may have Harlem Hospital by then!

So, if you are interested, don't hesitate to contact me at: [email protected]

Does the graduation date fall in early to mid June?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I believe this year it will be around June 6th or 7th.

yea early june. Just heard today that the decision to do it then instead of mid may (when most places graduate) is so that we can put off doing random cores until may so that we can fit more electives in before the match. And you know... you need to finish your may core before you graduate in may :laugh: so they made graduation early june.

Hi guys, I have an interview on February 15 and fly into NYC on the 14th. I am looking for any current students who could give me some insight into the school prior to my interview. Anybody need a free meal? Message me if your available on the 14th. Thanks!

yea early june. Just heard today that the decision to do it then instead of mid may (when most places graduate) is so that we can put off doing random cores until may so that we can fit more electives in before the match. And you know... you need to finish your may core before you graduate in may :laugh: so they made graduation early june.

Ohhh that's cool. It looks like there are 4 electives, 1 med sub-I, and 1 surgerical sub-I during the 4th year, plus all of the other required cores. Does this mean you get to choose the order that everything is done during 4th year ie squeeze in those electives all during Fall before match? If so, do you get to choose the order of rotations for 3rd yr or do they come up with the schedule?

Ohhh that's cool. It looks like there are 4 electives, 1 med sub-I, and 1 surgerical sub-I during the 4th year, plus all of the other required cores. Does this mean you get to choose the order that everything is done during 4th year ie squeeze in those electives all during Fall before match? If so, do you get to choose the order of rotations for 3rd yr or do they come up with the schedule?

The way they set it up this year (can change year to year, but I think this format may stay) is that pretty much everyone will have 4 or 5 months of electives prior to december. They did say that a few (either 13 or 26. its complicated to explain, but 4th year slots go in groups of 13 "similar" schedules) people will only have 3 months of electives before that december. Given you have up to 2 months of electives in 3rd year too, you can get some pretty decent elective rotation time racked up before you and the hospitals both have their match lists submitted.

The cores (aka what you have to do at a touro hospital) is *only* the med sub-I, surg sub-I, Intensive Care and Outpatient Care. There is a requirement to do an additional surgical specialty and medicine specialty month, but those two can be done anywhere. They're basically electives with a stipulation that it has to be medicine and surgery related (so cant do... like... radiology and path for them). Everything else is 100% elective.

The way they set it up this year (can change year to year, but I think this format may stay) is that pretty much everyone will have 4 or 5 months of electives prior to december. They did say that a few (either 13 or 26. its complicated to explain, but 4th year slots go in groups of 13 "similar" schedules) people will only have 3 months of electives before that december. Given you have up to 2 months of electives in 3rd year too, you can get some pretty decent elective rotation time racked up before you and the hospitals both have their match lists submitted.

The cores (aka what you have to do at a touro hospital) is *only* the med sub-I, surg sub-I, Intensive Care and Outpatient Care. There is a requirement to do an additional surgical specialty and medicine specialty month, but those two can be done anywhere. They're basically electives with a stipulation that it has to be medicine and surgery related (so cant do... like... radiology and path for them). Everything else is 100% elective.

Thanks for all the info! That's awesome that we have that much time for electives, and for them to be before match. There's also the option of using the summer 'month off' as an elective, right? It's way too soon for me to know if I'd do that and I'll prob want to take a breather once I'm actually rotating, but it'd be nice to know I have the option.

Thanks for all the info! That's awesome that we have that much time for electives, and for them to be before match. There's also the option of using the summer 'month off' as an elective, right? It's way too soon for me to know if I'd do that and I'll prob want to take a breather once I'm actually rotating, but it'd be nice to know I have the option.

Yea you will probably take the month off because you can and because youre expected to do an elective anyway. The 3rd year electives are usually a little limited. You tend to only be able to do repeats (aka a second month of ER or obgyn) or non-subspecialties (path, rads, OMM/PMnR, anesth). Obviously sometimes someone nets derm or someyhing similar randomly but its very uncommon for a specialty to take 3rd years. The exception being someone like myself who lucked out and got their last month of 3rd year off. I took my first month off as vacation and on June I'm doing Urology because I'm, on paper, already a 4th year as I've done all my 3rd year cores by then.

Between the more limited 3rd year choices and how nice a month off is.... Youll probably take the month off and do 1 3rd year elective.

Or you can do 1 3rd year elective and use the vacation month to take boards...if you have that vacation month say around may-june. that way you don't have to take a month off in the beginning of 4th year to take boards, you can just go straight into doing electives.

The good thing is you have options...one way or another (if you have a bad 3rd year lottery number, you will have a good 4th year number as they seem to stick to reversing the 3rd year order).

Hey guys, Im trying to get organized. What is required for matriculation? Health forms, final transcript, anything else?

Hi fellow class of 2016ers!! I just wanted to say I'm really excited to start this new chapter of my life with you all. Any advice for an aspiring pediatrician?

Hi fellow class of 2016ers!! I just wanted to say I'm really excited to start this new chapter of my life with you all. Any advice for an aspiring pediatrician?

Just do your studying like everyone else. If you really like peds, get involved with the pediatrics group on campus. We're apparently a very strong chapter of the osteopathic peds group (i forget its name) and won chapter of the year 1-2 years ago.

Hey 2016 peeps. Look forward to meeting you all this August. I guess I'm wondering the same about having a car and apartment locations.

Its almost Feb, and i havent heard from Touro since my deposit in July (defered student). When do you guys think we will get Fafsa stuff (or anything else).

Its almost Feb, and i havent heard from Touro since my deposit in July (defered student). When do you guys think we will get Fafsa stuff (or anything else).

There was an email wishing everyone happy holidays in December. Seeing as they went through a change in admissions personnel, I'd definitely email them a reminder that you plan on matriculating and want to verify that you still have your seat being saved.

right, i did get that email. I meant, emails with information about next year.

im in the same boat as you same21. I am defered and I have tried contacting them but no response. I need to figure out when to do all the financial aid. Any advice anyone?

ah i just officially announced my last day at work! i can't believe this is actually happening. after taking 3 yrs off school, it's so strange to be going back now. even though we don't start until july, i am already excited about quitting my job ha, and i wanted to share my excitement with you all.

Don't know if you guys have been following the application thread still since we've been accepted, but there is some chatter that for our class there were about 10,000 applications which will result a class average of 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT. I don't remember hearing these stats or application number at my interview but if this is true...that is crazzzzyyyyyyyyy :p

thanks for the stats, thats very impressive.

is there a facebook group set up for the 2016 class? I would love to know who else is attending this coming fall

Maybe we should start one? Even if its unofficial at least we can all get to know each other and share info until the official group is formed.

Great idea, can you get one up and running? An unofficial temporary one at least

There is now a facebook group but I'd like to get 2 more admins to make things easier and get things going. Private message me if interested in becoming an admin and I'll send you my facebook contact

Last edited:
DocE do you think the school would have an issue with us starting an unofficial facebook group? I'm asking because it seems (from reading previous comments) that touro usually gets one of their admins to start the group?

Sounds a bit high, I think the class of 2012 had a gpa around 3.5, mcar of 27 or 28 and an application pool of abot 3k

Double post

DocE do you think the school would have an issue with us starting an unofficial facebook group? I'm asking because it seems (from reading previous comments) that touro usually gets one of their admins to start the group?

The "original" facebook group was the 2013 facebook group and it was started by my friend, one of the students. It became the official one when the admissions director was made the group administrator, but it was for all purposes the official one before that too.

Go ahead and make it. No one will freak out that you've made one, though they may (or may not) ask to be made admin and "officialize" it. The admin really brings nothing to the table as far as the facebook group goes. So make it and start socializing and planning living arrangements.

There is now a facebook group but I'd like to get 2 more admins to make things easier and get things going. Private message me if interested in becoming an admin and I'll send you my facebook contact

Can you post a link to the fb group? Thanks!

Looks like the facebook group has made this thread obsolete.

ThreadKiller.jpg

hmmm....now when I think about it, DocE must be one of the helpful upper year touroites who joined our group.

hmmm....now when I think about it, DocE must be one of the helpful upper year touroites who joined our group.

S/He is not in the group. It looks like there are more students from 2015 in the group than there are from 2016.