Toxicology with an MPH?

Started by mwt137
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mwt137

Environmental Health Professional
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am going for my MPH in Environmental Health Sciences, but I have recently become interested in learning about the field of toxicology, specifically environmental toxicology. I have done some research on toxicology schools and jobs. In every job for a toxicologist that I have seen so far, they want a Master's or Ph.D. in toxicology. I am just wondering how likely it is to land a job in toxicology with an MPH, or will I need to go for a Ph.D. in a more specific field?
 
The toxicology training you'd get from a MPH is likely not going to be enough to become a full toxicologist. Most EHS departments require a course or two in toxicology, but you don't get the laboratory training.