Traditional App.: C- in Transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hlcav28

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm hoping to apply to vet school this summer. As I was looking back on my transcript I noticed I received a C- last fall in Orgo 2 I don't know why it didn't register it was this low until now, all this time I remembered it being a C+/B-. In past semesters (prior to the C-) I've received 2 C+'s during personally difficult times; one being in Gen Chem 2, and one being in a notoriously difficult human anatomy course. I know a lot of vet schools do not accept a C-, and I believe they want and re-do's to be done the spring prior to applying. Due to me applying this summer I'm afraid of having to wait another year to apply. Does anyone have any advice?

For background info:

Cum GPA: ~3.49

Experience:
-Hair salon reception: 1yr
-Vet office reception: 1,100 hours and growing--we do work closely with the vets
-Vet Assistant: 30hr and growing (in training)
-Animal-related volunteering: 8hr
-Equine Vet Shadow: 11hr
-Equine Management Internship: 48-52 hr/week for 21 weeks (6mo) with hands on equine reproduction--need to call vet schools for how they want it to be broken up due to working directly with vets consistently/daily
-On Campus Equine Unit Worker for a summer (to be calculated)
-TA for intro to animal science class
-Riding/personal horse care for 17yrs; to be calculated)

Side note, I know my hours weight heavily in equine. I definitely need more diversity!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know a lot of vet schools do not accept a C-, and I believe they want and re-do's to be done the spring prior to applying. Due to me applying this summer I'm afraid of having to wait another year to apply. Does anyone have any advice?
Check with schools you're applying to. Some schools dont require orgo 2, so it doesnt matter. Other schools do and in that case, you may have to add it to your schedule. When you saying you're applying "this summer", do you mean summer 2020 or summer 2021? If it's the former, you'll have to squeeze orgo in during spring; if you mean the later, you've got time to figure it out.

Reactions: 1 users
Check with schools you're applying to. Some schools dont require orgo 2, so it doesnt matter. Other schools do and in that case, you may have to add it to your schedule. When you saying you're applying "this summer", do you mean summer 2020 or summer 2021? If it's the former, you'll have to squeeze orgo in during spring; if you mean the later, you've got time to figure it out.
Thanks for the reply! I’m going to be applying summer 2021–looking into it further I’m going to retake the class over summer as I don’t have room in the spring semester. It’s going to be somewhat of a close call as the class ends August 21st and apps are due shortly after. Hoping everything falls into place!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! I’m going to be applying summer 2021–looking into it further I’m going to retake the class over summer as I don’t have room in the spring semester. It’s going to be somewhat of a close call as the class ends August 21st and apps are due shortly after. Hoping everything falls into place!
Some undergrads give you the option to have summer grades automatically sent somewhere once they are available. Might be a good way to make sure that the process of getting those new grades to VMCAS is as soon as possible. You can also check how long the undergrad you are taking the course at expects it to take the official transcript to be received (this is more for your own piece of mind since you can't really change how fast or slow this turnaround time is). I would expect Aug 21st to be enough time since the VMCAS deadline is mid-Sept I believe.

If you are going to get more diverse hours/experience during next year after VMCAS applications are due, you can always estimate how many hours you will get. And that is valid with even an admissions officer recommending to me to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I applied this cycle, so please take my advice with a grain of salt because I'm still waiting to hear back :) I had a C in genetics while applying and I've made it past most of the schools I applied to's first round of eliminations. My overall GPA was just a tad higher at a 3.6, but I really don't think a C- will ruin your chances. You can retake if you're worried, but most schools are no longer requiring orgo 2 anyways. I think you have some awesome experiences and just keep them up and I'm sure you'll be fine! Also I recommend putting everything you can think of on your application. It helps you stand out! I put down things like doing musical theatre for 8 years, teaching swim lessons, and even being an avid hiker. Don't be afraid to do things not related to vet med or animals! Let me know if you need any help with VMCAS it can be stressful :)

Reactions: 1 user