Training for the SCID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crdslper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

Both my clinical practicum and research activities this coming quarter will involve SCID administration. Does anybody have any suggestions about resources for training in the use of the SCID (books, articles, videos..)? My understanding is that it is pretty easy to pick up, but I would like to prepare as much as possible while I still have the free time. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Check out the SCID site for training materials
http://www.scid4.org/training.htm

There are SCID training tapes. The library of the psychiatric hospital that I used to work for had copies, so if you hunt around you can probably find copies to borrow.

Ah, the SCID. Created by psychiatrists so naturally it is entirely useless. If they insist on making a diagnostic measure they should have to learn a little about psychometrics. As you administer it you will see what I am talking about. You might enjoy asking questions such as "Has it ever seemed that people were talking about you or taking special notice of you?" which is under the psychotic symptoms sections and is meant to differentiate between psychotics and normals. The thing is everyone, and I mean everyone will answer yes to that. So, the authors added a clarification question to that one if you get a positive response: "Were they really talking about you or do you think it might have been just your imagination?". WTF? What if they say yes, does that mean they are psychotic? What about no? The thing is full of similar stupid questions.

This is hands down one of the biggest wastes of time out there. I don't think you need to do any prep, just give it over and over and you will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree.... You would be much better served learning how to do a clinical interview like a real psychologist, as this is a much more important skill to master. SCID is a shortcut to actually knowing what you are trying to assess.

:cool:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I located the training tapes and will check them out this weekend.

I have always viewed the SCID as a useful tool for research purposes. I was, however, surprised to hear that we would be using it in a clinical setting. Mainly because the clinic uses the SCID anxiety module -and I had assumed the ADIS would be the assessment instrument of choice. At any rate, it is interesting to hear some different opinions on the utility of the SCID. Thanks!