Training Programs for CPE ONLY (no TOEFL, no BSCE, no NAVLE)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! First of all, I’d like to congratulate you for all the effort you put on the process!! I really find this very helpful because I’m feeling very nervous just by thinking about it. I’m currently working as a vet technician, the doctor, owner of the place I’m working, is encouraging me to get the license. But I’m afraid of few things, and one of them, is the clinical experience that I have (or don’t have) specially with large animals. Is it possible for you to tell me where you did the non paid externship? I’m also thinking about how to get experience in surgery. I’ll start studying before applying to Pave or ECFVG program.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everybody! I am so sorry for my absence since creating this thread but I was super busy preparing and taking the CPE. I am happy to see that the thread has lived on and that people are participating in it. Please remember that if you are in here its because you are focusing on the CPE so please no talking about TOWFL, NAVLE or BSCE, there are plenty of forums for those!

I took the CPE in October 2014 in LV and it was very stressful but I felt as prepared as I could be and acted "confident" in front of the examiners and answered everything to the best of my abilities.. I passed everything on my first try so obviously I am very happy with this outcome.

Ok so you are wondering what did I do? How did I prepared for this? Well, I started preparing for it about 3 months before the big day. Yup, not longer than that, perhaps in a shorter period of time actually. I get bored and I function better under pressure so I tend to leave things for the "last few months". Anyways, here are my suggestions:

1-Manual (the theory):
  • a-print the MoA and develop every little request. I wrote in a notebook EVERYTHING they ask you to perform in the Manual. I wrote exactly what I was going to say, I searched for everything online and used maybe 1 or 2 books.... For example, the section of small animal techniques it says describe how to perform a thoracocentesis. I went to Washington State University website where they explain a few of the procedure and basically wrote it in my own words for every procedure. I also recommend buying the book "Small Animal Clinical Techniques" by Susan taylor on Amazon. Everything you need for the small animal techniques section is in there. Write it down and memorize it! I recorded it on my iphone under "voice memos" and listened to it while driving and all that stuff... stick it to your brain! If you are talking more than a minute and a half then you are probably talking too much and saying extra things that might be harming you so just say what is necessary, what the manual requires. Write it down for bovine and equine techniques with "every word" that you are going to say.
  • b- PICTURES! also print pictures to put it on each procedure, especially equine lameness. You have to explain how to block each nerve so you want images to help you visualize where the nerve is and what is surrounding it.
  • c- I also created my own playlist on youtube where I saved every video regarding physical exams, lameness exams, bovine procedures, etc. MEMORIZE THEM! It helps to write it down and to actually see it!
  • d- Developing the manual its the hardest part, the most important and the most time-consuming! It took me 4-5 weeks (perhaps more!) at an easy, stress free pace and then the actual hands on training took me 6 weeks total. Try to do all of it before going to any of the courses I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. Believe me, you dont want to get there and start understanding what you need to do, you want to get there with all the theory in your mind so you can get the most out of it! :)

2- Training facilities:
  • a- At the beginning of this thread I mention a few places depending on which section you need training on. There is NOT a place where you can train for all of it, sorry! The shelter in Massachusetts apparently is not taking any more students for unknown reasons but the Humane Alliance in North Carolina is still accepting, thy just book out quickly! Me personally, went to an animal county service (government shelter) in Largo, Florida where I spayed every morning for a week. They do not teach you, or supervise you. You have a table next to the other surgeon and they do not spay with a technique valid for CPE purposes (everyone knows shelter have their own ways), so if you go there make sure you know your ****, get practice in your country first and feel confident with your technique by looking for spay videos on youtube. SO because I did not have money to pay for a surgery course, what I did was that I did my first few spays in my country and practiced for 2-3 weeks and then contacted the vet at Pinellas County Animal Service and went there just before the test to practice high volume. I even asked them to just give me overweight dogs and big dogs like pits and german shepherds. Thats right, you want to take all the difficult spays so you can breeze thru it during the test :) heres a youtube video for a spay:

• b-I know 2 people that trained with Dr Kim at latitude vet 36 in NC for the large animal portions and they loved it! It was an intense week but they learned everything so I think it would be cool to do this course along with the Humane Alliance course since they are both in NC. Make sure you do your courses it 3-4 weeks before the test so its still fresh but there is still time to study more!
  • c- I also met a few people that went to San Diego to train at Bonita Pet all the small animal portions. It could be worth while if you are on this side of the country. I encourage to contact them ans see what they offer.
  • d- For necropsy section I have a video from the University of Guelph that if you do it exactly how they show you then you will do just fine even if you have not done a necropsy ever in your life! Its too big to post but try finding it online or if you have dropbox you could send me a folder to share. If you live near a shelter then contact them since they always have kittens or animals that were euthanized... perhaps they wont mind if you perform the necropsies.
  • e- I completed my Large animal training (both bovine and equine) at Tuskegee University. I contacted them explaining I wanted to perform an externship in Large Animal to prepare for the CPE. I went for a couple of weeks and did everything... They dont always offer such thing, i guess it depends how busy they are with their actual students... A few bad things from my experience: not all the teachers want to spend time with CPE students since they are busy with their own students so you waste a lot of time waiting for people to have time for you even when you are paying to be there! It can be very frustrating as there isnt a formal program, its just "whatever the day brings".. also they do not accomodate you at all! you would need to stay at a hotel and rent a car since the closest airport is Atlanta (about 2 hours away!) and there is not public transportation to get to the school and no hotels nearby so it can get quite expensive to go for more than a week! Also, if you train here you probably cannot take the CPE here or if you do then it has to be more than a year away. :S Now that I look back I would have gone to NC instead to do all my large animal training in 1 week (cause it can be done in that amount of time if its all day working instead of 2 hours per day for 2 weeks!)
  • f- In my experience the anesthesia portion was the most nerve wrecking cause they are asking you a lot of questions (in surgery you are just doing your thing and the examiner comes by to check on you from time to time). But they ask you everything that is on the manual so again, memorize it! You have to explain the machine, explain all your formulas (fluid rate, gas rate, oxygen rate, etc). Just try to do a lot of catheter placements, e-tube placements and anesthesia monitoring in the US since its hard to find a place that will let you do surgery but will probably let you do technician assignments like these. If you feel confident placing a catheter and an e-tube then you just need to study the formulas which you can get from any anesthesia book online (even the ones for vet techs). There are also a lot of cool videos on youtube explaining the machine :)

3-the Test:

I took it in Las Vegas, they offer it every month and the hotel is next to the center, they pick you up at the airport and breakfast and lunch are included. Is very easy to take it here cause everything is figured out. Everyone is very nice, you just need to know your thing and act confident even if you dont know what the hell you are saying :) I have heard that vegas is the toughest place, but I think the exam is pretty fair. I think because its the place that offers it the most with the highest amount of candidates taking it there then the chances of candidates failing and we hearing about it its also higher..... Just my thoughts though. :)

If you have any questions please ask thru here and if you already took and passed the CPE please share your experience and suggestions!
Good luck everyone!

Hi Maksara, can you please share the link to your compiled youtube videos for your CPE prep? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I am planning to take CPE in the middle of 2017 my email Id is [email protected]. Send me your email if you would like to study together.
Hi Indvet,

Did you take the CPE last year? how did it go? If you dont mind please find an afternoon to post here your experience training for the test, what materials did you use to study and where did you go train? We woul appreciate it!

I am from Spain too! Taking my CPE in November

Hello,

Did you take the test already how did it go? do you mind posting in the thread what was your training experience for the test? Thanks!
Maksara

Hey, I am taking my exam in July. I am originally from India, but living in California. If anyone would like to study together, my email is [email protected]

Hii,

Did you take the test already? how did it go? do you mind posting in the thread what was your training experience for the test? ThankS!
Maksara

Hi I am also taking mine in November in Vegas

Hii,

Did you take the test alreadyi? how did it go? do you mind posting in the thread what was your training experience for the test? ThankS!
Maksara

Hi, I am going to take my CPE in the middle of next year. I am working in London as a small animal vet but I'm originally from Spain (qualified there too). I just wanted to thank you all for the information you provided here, and if someone wants to join forces to pass the exam just let me know!

Hii

Did you take the CPE already? how did it go? do you mind posting in the thread what was your training experience for the test? ThankS!
Maksara

Hello! First of all, I’d like to congratulate you for all the effort you put on the process!! I really find this very helpful because I’m feeling very nervous just by thinking about it. I’m currently working as a vet technician, the doctor, owner of the place I’m working, is encouraging me to get the license. But I’m afraid of few things, and one of them, is the clinical experience that I have (or don’t have) specially with large animals. Is it possible for you to tell me where you did the non paid externship? I’m also thinking about how to get experience in surgery. I’ll start studying before applying to Pave or ECFVG program.

Hi Gaby,

Where are you in the process? My recommendation is to take things by steps... first take your toefl and then the BSCE, dont worry about the things ahead. When you are ready for CPE, then come back and there are many places you can go to train/shadow.

Best of luck!
Maksara

Hello everyone,

Im sorry I have been away lately... after I passed the CPE I matched and compelled a small animal rotating internship and then was hired as an associate at a very very busy practice. Now im back here, wanted to continue to help all of you. Where is everyone at in the process? In case you guys dont have my CPE videos playlist:

CPE - YouTube

Im also recovering the necropsy video! Msg me privately soon!
Good luck and hope to hear from all of you soon. And if you already passed then write a post about your training and experience!
Maksara

Hey guys. I've been preparing for the CPE and plan to take it this year. After reading the positive posts about Lat36, ill be going there for training of the bovine and equine portions later this year. I work at a clinic in my city, so I get practice with radiology, anesthesiology and small animal medicine so im pretty confident on those sections. Ill be asking the local SPCA society if I can get practice at doing spays and even a necropsy if thats possible. If that doesn't workout, I might go to Humane Alliance In North Carolina for practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I've been preparing for the CPE and plan to take it this year. After reading the positive posts about Lat36, ill be going there for training of the bovine and equine portions later this year. I work at a clinic in my city, so I get practice with radiology, anesthesiology and small animal medicine so im pretty confident on those sections. Ill be asking the local SPCA society if I can get practice at doing spays and even a necropsy if thats possible. If that doesn't workout, I might go to Humane Alliance In North Carolina for practice.

Doctor, would you mind if I ask you some information about the small animal section and anesthesia?
I am reading MOA and the appendices but It is difficult for me to know how to write the forms and there was no example too...

Doctor, would you mind if I ask you some information about the small animal section and anesthesia?
I am reading MOA and the appendices but It is difficult for me to know how to write the forms and there was no example too...

Hi Keep going,

I think you should message brownkilla privately and perhaps you guys can set something up... good luck!

Hi, I am going to take my CPE in the middle of next year. I am working in London as a small animal vet but I'm originally from Spain (qualified there too). I just wanted to thank you all for the information you provided here, and if someone wants to join forces to pass the exam just let me know!
Hi, good afternoon, did you pass the exam? any advice, or notes where i can study!!
Thanks!

Hello everyone! I’m scheduled for cpe in October. Does anyone know how do we suppose to open heart for necropsy? I found different ways and can’t figure out which one is the best.
Thanks!

Hello everyone,

Im sorry I have been away lately... after I passed the CPE I matched and compelled a small animal rotating internship and then was hired as an associate at a very very busy practice. Now im back here, wanted to continue to help all of you. Where is everyone at in the process? In case you guys dont have my CPE videos playlist:

CPE - YouTube

Im also recovering the necropsy video! Msg me privately soon!
Good luck and hope to hear from all of you soon. And if you already passed then write a post about your training and experience!
Maksara

Hi, Maksara

Would you please share your YouTube videos in necropsy? Also, any recommendations for anesthesiology? That is what I am most scare of!

Thanks in advance!

Hi, Maksara

Would you please share your YouTube videos in necropsy? Also, any recommendations for anesthesiology? That is what I am most scare of!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Brazilmedvet!
What are your doubts with anesthesia? Is def the most challenging section but I think also the one that has the most information out there to be reading about. I cant remember my exact protocol but i think it was pre med with hydro and then induction with propofol/midazolam. What i found the hardest was that no one has experience with sevo and is difficult to find private practices that use it to learn. Remember the MAC for sevo and what i found was that people tend to treat it like ISO and leave the pets around 1-2 which is too low for sevo, has to be higher around 4-5 for maintenance so they arent super light. Remember to study the ways you can assess your anesthesia depths!

Hello everyone! I’m scheduled for cpe in October. Does anyone know how do we suppose to open heart for necropsy? I found different ways and can’t figure out which one is the best.
Thanks!

How did it go? do you mind sharing your experiences? thanks!

Thanks a lot for recommending the course. I did take it and it was an excellent preparation and very pleasant experience
Hi is it possible to get Dr Geimenhart email info so I can contact her?

Hi everyone, I have been getting emails about my CPE YouTube playlist. Here it is, hope these videos help, some of them have been taken down:

Has anyone taken and passed the test lately? we need some tips on studying and training, please share with the group your experience.

Hi, is any one there know any good place to help me prepare for cpe, thanks

Hello fantastic vets,

I am taking the CPE in May. I am creating a WhatsApp group for CPE students where we can post doubts and useful info. Let me know if you want to part of it. The more the merrier :)

Hello fantastic vets,

I am taking the CPE in May. I am creating a WhatsApp group for CPE students where we can post doubts and useful info. Let me know if you want to part of it. The more the merrier :)

Would you please add me to the CPE group :) 2678229867 !

Karolina

Hello fantastic vets,

If it is not too late, Could you please add me to the WhatsApp group.
My number is +14034001573
Thank you.

Hello fantastic vets,

Hi. Could you add me to the group please?

Hi! I am currently getting prepared for CPE. I got accepted to LSU for pave/Ecfvg program for January. I am thinking if anyone had done this course? Is it helpful for the CPE? They don’t have any statistics about passing rates for CPE

Please let me know if you like it ? I’m thinking of applying there as well

Hi! I am currently getting prepared for CPE. I got accepted to LSU for pave/Ecfvg program for January. I am thinking if anyone had done this course? Is it helpful for the CPE? They don’t have any statistics about passing rates for CPE
Hey! I am currently at LSU for PAVE/ECFVG. I started in September 2020. Give me your contact number and I can share my experience here so far. We can also prepare for CPE. My CPE is scheduled 3rd week of February 2021.

Hey! I am currently at LSU for PAVE/ECFVG. I started in September 2020. Give me your contact number and I can share my experience here so far. We can also prepare for CPE. My CPE is scheduled 3rd week of February 2021.
Hi Dogtor_vet.
I applied for this program but was not accepted. I am curious to know how it is?
This is my email address if you don't mind to contact: [email protected]

Hello all, I will be taking my CPE in August 2021 in Las Vegas. It will be first attempt. Looking for people to study together. Please let me know if someone interested. I live in NY (Eastern standard time). [email protected]

Hello all, I will be taking my CPE in August 2021 in Las Vegas. It will be first attempt. Looking for people to study together. Please let me know if someone interested. I live in NY (Eastern standard time). [email protected]
Hi. Where did or will you be preparing physically for the exam. Do you know of any Universities that accept students for rotations or hospitals that prepare students?

Hi. Where did or will you be preparing physically for the exam. Do you know of any Universities that accept students for rotations or hospitals that prepare students?
The pave program website has a list of universities that accepts the clinical rotations for it, usually they also accepts a prep for the CPE

Created this wpp study group for it, im considering the pave program tho

The pave program website has a list of universities that accepts the clinical rotations for it, usually they also accepts a prep for the CPE

Created this wpp study group for it, im considering the pave program tho
Good to know. Thanks!

Does anyone have any updates on externships or training facilities in the US? I see the NC shelter now specifies that students applying to the program have to be from AVMA accredited schools. I work as technician already when not at university but I don't know how much hands on surgical experience I would be allowed to perform in my practice before graduating. Likely none unless there's a way of getting a restricted license or something?

There's a new place for training CPE: food animal, SAM, Equine, no surgery or anethesia though. I've been and it's fantastic. Cpebootcamp.com.

Hello! If you are looking for training in necropsy, the Davis-Thompson Foundation set up a 2-days, hands on Necropsy course designed to help candidates that are preparing to take the Clinical Proficiency Examination (CPE) by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) and the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) National Examining Board (NEB).
Registration information is available here: Necropsy Course 2022- The Davis-Thompson Foundation - The Davis-Thompson Foundation
Seats are very limited (10 participants) to allow practice. Don't miss this opportunity, register today!

Attachments

• Necropsy course with location.png
    Necropsy course with location.png
    807.9 KB · Views: 134
Hey there, I will be taking my PSA / CPE exam 2023/ 2024 depending on seat availability. If there is anyone out there in the same boat give me a shout if your interested in sharing rescources / starting a study group!
[email protected]

Hey everyone,
I was hoping to find a seat for the CPE in 2023 but none are currently available. If anyone is looking to postpone their seat this year and needs a replacement, please let me know. Also, if any advice/experience regarding finding a seat, please let me know!
[email protected]

Does anyone know if we can do the primary surgeon spay required in “surgical experience documentation” under supervision of a US licensed veterinarian? I have not traveled out of the US in the past five years and now I need this document to be able to schedule my CPE exam.

Does anyone know if we can do the primary surgeon spay required in “surgical experience documentation” under supervision of a US licensed veterinarian? I have not traveled out of the US in the past five years and now I need this document to be able to schedule my CPE exam.
Yes you can. Just need a vet willing to take the time to teach.

Is anyone starting to prepare for CPE Jan/Feb 2024? This year seats are already booked. I just passed Navle and going to start preparing for Cpe dedicatedly. Is anyone on the same boat looking for a study partner? Let me know. If there is already a group formed, please add me.