transcript dilemna... illegal action seems only recourse (unless you have suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

I'm having a problem getting my transcripts from the schools.

Background: I am applying for class of 2004, and I will need to send out several transcripts to several schools.

Fact: My undergrad institution can NOT be trusted to send out transcripts in a timely manner. (I requested in end of December, and did not get them till february).

Unless you have been to foothill junior college in lost altos hill, CA, you are not to challenge that. That's their nature.

Second fact: We kicked butt during undergrad to be where we are, we are not going to let administrative problems of our school slow down the application.

Problem: How do we get official transcripts sent out in a timely manner? (I am talking about transcripts that go with secondaries, not the AMCAS one).

Solution: have schools send to me, and I send to school. However, they absolutely insist on stamping the envelope "sent to STUDENT in sealed envelope, void if seal broken..."
MEdical schools will not accept that. I explained to my institution, that there was not time for them to send it out, but i needed it not to say "student", there is no way they will buy this.

So... my only recourse is to have them send it to a friends house (someone with different last name, so they wont suspect), and address that friend as s omething like "grad school application processing center for UIC" (UIC is the closest college to where I live now). And explain how i convinced the pre-med comitee there at that made up center to send them out as needed.

Do you think this will work? Any other s uggestions? How should I address this? How much time ARE we allowed to send out transcripts? How many schools will ask for transcripts?

As for the amcas transcript, I will have to send it out straight from the school, but that's only one, and I can send a friend to my previous school, and make sure they get it straight... hopefully......

Thanks,
Sonya

Members don't see this ad.

you don't normally send transcripts with secondaries. thats the purpose of the AMCAS form.

Which schools require transcripts for their secondaries? I applied to like 40 schools and none of their secondaries required transcripts.

Can't you just hound the office every week or become best friends with whoever does the mailing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying for class of 2004.... I have got any secondaries yet, my brother (who is starting as an M3 now) said schools would require it and insisted I get all transcripts ahead of time.... maybe i'll ask him more about this, maybe they changed stuff by now. or, maybe i misunderstood something, and that's only neccesary AFTER you get accepted.

I'm intent on staying polite with them, because even as is, I'm going to need favors from them to get the envelopes changed...it's hard to become friends when they are over 10,000 miles away... but, that would also be useful... (i do have other adminstrative friends there...).

Thanks,
Sonya

i don't understand. they will send them faster to your friend than to the schools?

also, as uclaman pointed out, you do NOT have to send transcripts to individual schools. maybe you do when all is said and done and you know where you're accepted and going?, but other than that you only have to send them to amcas.

you should have plenty of time (to get it to amcas & to the school you decide to attend) if you put in the request early. also, i had a similar problem with sf city college (told me it would take FOREVER to get a transcript). i later found out you can pay extra to get a rush delivery. do they offer a rush delivery at foothill?

if you are still a student while applying, you may wish to send your fall grades. if so, request them in december, and they should be ready for schools in jan/feb, right? then you can request your final transcript to the school you decide upon in may, and it should get there before you matriculate.

Originally posted by Sonya
I'm applying for class of 2004.... I have got any secondaries yet, my brother (who is starting as an M3 now) said schools would require it and insisted I get all transcripts ahead of time.... maybe i'll ask him more about this, maybe they changed stuff by now. or, maybe i misunderstood something, and that's only neccesary AFTER you get accepted.

I'm intent on staying polite with them, because even as is, I'm going to need favors from them to get the envelopes changed...it's hard to become friends when they are over 10,000 miles away... but, that would also be useful... (i do have other adminstrative friends there...).

Thanks,
Sonya

Schools will require your final transcripts if you are accepted and plan to matriculate. But for application purposes you only need your transcript sent to amcas.

Yeah, I'm confused too.

1.) I only sent my transcript to AMCAS. If you request it now, even if it takes 2 months you should be fine.

2.) How is it going to get to your friend any faster?

I think she meant that she could request them in advance to be sent to her friend, and then send them out when necessary to individual schools.

Illegal action is never acceptable. Besides being immoral, you are seriously jeapordizing your application and future medical career.

Suggestions.

1. Visit the person that manages the transcription service at the school. Explain the issue, and then personally contact or visit him EVERYDAY until the transcripts go out. After a week, if they do not go out, elevate the issue. Stop by the Dean and tell. Them the president of the university.

2. Use a referral service. You will send a transcript to one of these companies, and then they will send it out to schools as required. This removes you from the loop, and maintains the integrity of the service. I believe the schools, will accept from service companies like this, but verify with each school would be wise.

Your brother is blowin smoke up ur a$$. (pardon my french) By "M3" i assume u mean MSIII, so he does not know about the new system. No schools require transcripts prior to matriculation. They obtain this information from amcas. Therefore, your dilemma is non-existent. Nothing to worry about...just kick ur bro in the shins for lying to you. ;)

Originally posted by carrigallen
Your brother is blowin smoke up ur a$$. (pardon my french) By "M3" i assume u mean MSIII, so he does not know about the new system. No schools require transcripts prior to matriculation. They obtain this information from amcas. Therefore, your dilemma is non-existent. Nothing to worry about...just kick ur bro in the shins for lying to you. ;)

I can only speak for last year but every school that I applied to last year required an official final transcript from every school I attended (in addition to AMCAS info) prior to admission. This was to be sent directly to the school.

Originally posted by ussdfiant
I can only speak for last year but every school that I applied to last year required an official final transcript from every school I attended (in addition to AMCAS info) prior to admission. This was to be sent directly to the school.

ya...."prior to admission" is referring to people who are accepted....one doesn't need their transcripts to be sent to each individual school if they aren't accepted by that school or plan to matriculate there.

Did you send your transcripts to every single school BEFORE getting accepted last year? If so, you didn't need to.

hey...

Ok, i asked my brother which schools require with secondaries, he says only a few, but didn't know which. he also said "sent to student" would be ok on those... so, i have plenty of transcripts that say sent to student, so i don't need to fuss with the original question (except, i do need to get transcripts from another school i attended, so it is relevant to figure just where transcripts will be asked)

I am no longer a student at any institution.

BTW, i asked for my transcripts in late december/early january. In march, i got the transcripts...Then the post office screwed up something, so they got sent BACK to the school. And, i finally got them in my hands in early april... granted if there was urgency i would have been chasing them a lot more as others have suggested.

If i have it sent to a friend, The friend will have all the transcripts before any secondaries are sent out. I can pick these up and send them out as needed in secondaries.

Cabruen,
I do not consider it immoral because i do not intend to change the transcripts in any manner. But, it would be good to avoid this. Out of curiousity, where do you find out about these refferal services, do i just look in a phone book or something?

Rush delivery is 7 bucks a transcript, which I will do for AMCAS. If it only a few schools, not every single school, that could be a enough of a solution... From my last memory of that school, it is very hard to request a transript if you don't go in person... it's hard enough to get someone else to request for you... but, it's been several years since i enrolled there, and they are improving.

Let me ask a different question then. For those of you that have completed the application process, and are choosing a school or have matriculated. In which steps of the process were transcripts required? How much time periord were you given? Since there seem to be disagreements, please let us know where you are in the process.

AMCAS has been very nice to me in answering questions on the MCAT, and curriculum directory... maybe i'll just ask them to answe this. If so, i'll let you know what they say. I'll check in MSAR too...

Let me ask a different question then. For those of you that have completed the application process, and are choosing a school or have matriculated. In which steps of the process were transcripts required? How much time periord were you given? Since there seem to be disagreements, please let us know where you are in the process.

Like UCLAMAN I applied this year, interviewed, and was accepted at multiple schools. Of 20 or so schools that I applied to I only needed transcripts at two stages - for AMCAS, and again now for the final school I have decided to go to. In the latter situation I believe I have until July or so to submit these, but it varies by school.

I applied to 33 schools. (Check my website for a list of which ones. http://charlesbruen.com/full.htm)

I sent transcripts for the following reasons.

1 TMDSAS Primary Application
1 AMCAS Primary Application
1 NYU Application (non-AMCAS)
1 Columbia Application (non-AMCAS)
1 Baylor (required pre-interview)
1 UTSW (After Acceptance)

hey...

Ok, i asked my brother which schools require with secondaries, he says only a few, but didn't know which. he also said "sent to student" would be ok on those... so, i have plenty of transcripts that say sent to student, so i don't need to fuss with the original question (except, i do need to get transcripts from another school i attended, so it is relevant to figure just where transcripts will be asked)

I am no longer a student at any institution.

BTW, i asked for my transcripts in late december/early january. In march, i got the transcripts...Then the post office screwed up something, so they got sent BACK to the school. And, i finally got them in my hands in early april... granted if there was urgency i would have been chasing them a lot more as others have suggested.

If i have it sent to a friend, The friend will have all the transcripts before any secondaries are sent out. I can pick these up and send them out as needed in secondaries.

Cabruen,
I do not consider it immoral because i do not intend to change the transcripts in any manner. But, it would be good to avoid this. Out of curiousity, where do you find out about these refferal services, do i just look in a phone book or something?

Rush delivery is 7 bucks a transcript, which I will do for AMCAS. If it only a few schools, not every single school, that could be a enough of a solution... From my last memory of that school, it is very hard to request a transript if you don't go in person... it's hard enough to get someone else to request for you... but, it's been several years since i enrolled there, and they are improving.

AMCAS has been very nice to me in answering questions on the MCAT, and curriculum directory... maybe i'll just ask them to answe this. If so, i'll let you know what they say. I'll check in MSAR too...

where's the ethics committee when u need it? ur plan is not gonna work. schools usually require a sealed envelope w/ some sort of stamp on the back. would it be strange w/ multiple postmarks on it?!?

and, as others have suggestion, your "M3" bro is only making things worse. just ignore the dude. just dish out the $7, get quickie service, and apply happily ever after. u can either listen to ur bro, panick, and post multiple threads on sdn, or just ignore him and worry about more important things like ps, secondaries, and interviews. your choice.

suggestion: order your amcas transcript now. most schools won't require another transcript til acceptance. if you're unsure about this, just call the schools you're applying to individually ( http://www.aamc.org/meded/medschls/admissions.htm ) and ask them, hey you wanna transcript? if so, tell them, ayight, i'll send you a preliminary copy because my school takes forever, but i'll have them send you an official one. nothing illegal, and your app pro'lly won't get held up.

how does amcas know whether its official or not? i'm looking at past amcas threads...sounds like a red-tape nightmare...

Hi Sonya,

Sorry to hear about your transcript woes. I hope you get it worked out.

I see that you went to Foothill, I am going there now. Can you tell me what youw ent through when you needed your transcripts? I want to make sure I avoid any problems as well.

Thanks in advance and good luck.

Whats up with this 2004 thing? The 2004 cycle is almost over. I'm assuming you mean entering 2005 class.

Anyway, its so early now I dont how you could not get your transcripts to AMCAS on time now matter how inept your school is. And the non AMCAS schools have much later start dates for their apps so you it shouldnt be a problem.

Why would you even THINK about doing something even slightly illegal that could jeopardize your chances?

Originally posted by exmike
Whats up with this 2004 thing? The 2004 cycle is almost over. I'm assuming you mean entering 2005 class.

Anyway, its so early now I dont how you could not get your transcripts to AMCAS on time now matter how inept your school is. And the non AMCAS schools have much later start dates for their apps so you it shouldnt be a problem.

Why would you even THINK about doing something even slightly illegal that could jeopardize your chances?

Thread was raised from the dead I believe...

Originally posted by lyragrl
Thread was raised from the dead I believe...

damn i hate when that happens! die !