Transfer Credit to University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjagui

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm thrilled to find this.

Anyways, just curious. I didn't apply myself when I first went to college. I attended the Art Institute. I have A's in all my general classes but in my art classes, it was boring so I didn't apply myself... After years of having a career in Advertising and Marketing. I realized that this career is not for me. I have always been fascinated by Medicine. I just didn't pursue my undergrad for it due to the fact that I did not believe in myself.

Now at 27 years old, I plan on transferring my college credits at UNLV to pursue a 2nd degree in Biology and in turn apply to Med School. My question is if I transfer my college credits, does my old grades affect my grades that I will get at UNLV? I do not want my grades to affect me. I had A's in all my general classes but had bad grades in my other classes. Or does the transfer credits just recognize what prerequisites is needed to place me for Math & English? Please let me know. I am confused. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My question is if I transfer my college credits, does my old grades affect my grades that I will get at UNLV?
Sometimes when you transfer grades to a second college, all the credits aren't recognized. Sometimes you get credit for taking the class, but get a grade of PASS, rather than a letter grade, so it doesn't have an effect on your calculated GPA at the new school. And sometimes all the classes and old grades are accepted in transfer and will be included in your new school's GPA.

Yes, the new school will want to know the course levels you've completed so you can be assigned to appropriate level classes in math, science, foreign language, and English.

But here is the answer to what should be your real concern: For the med school application process, it makes zero difference what your new school accepts in transfer or if you even bother to transfer the grades (if not required to do so). You will be obliged to submit original transcripts from both institutions to the application service when you apply to med schools, so all grades earned will be on the med school application transcript regardless of how the second school handles your old grades. Unfortunately, that means the poor grades you earned in Art classes will drag down your cGPA.

But here is the answer to what should be your real concern: For the med school application process, it makes zero difference what your new school accepts in transfer or if you even bother to transfer the grades (if not required to do so). You will be obliged to submit original transcripts from both institutions to the application service when you apply to med schools, so all grades earned will be on the med school application transcript regardless of how the second school handles your old grades. Unfortunately, that means the poor grades you earned in Art classes will drag down your cGPA.

So for med School application it is required to get all transcript? Dang that's going to drag it really down. How about for people who didn't finish their degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, any and all classes taken after high school must be reported.

Wow, that's going to drag me down. I didn't focus before. Shoot. I think I ruined my chances.....So if I have a 3.8 GPA maintained at UNLV, they will include my art school, how will they perceive that? If I went from let's say 2.8 GPA (Art school) to 3.8 GPA, will they even consider me?

Agh. I just don't know what to do....I have volunteer hours at the local hospital, humane society, habitat for humanity, etc. I will be getting clinical experience soon.

Do I still have a chance?

Wow, that's going to drag me down. I didn't focus before. Shoot. I think I ruined my chances.....So if I have a 3.8 GPA maintained at UNLV, they will include my art school, how will they perceive that? If I went from let's say 2.8 GPA (Art school) to 3.8 GPA, will they even consider me?

Agh. I just don't know what to do....I have volunteer hours at the local hospital, humane society, habitat for humanity, etc. I will be getting clinical experience soon.

Do I still have a chance?

The tricky part is getting past the computer screenings. Some schools scrape off the bottom of the pile via a computer algorithm (to make numbers easy, let's say they automatically reject anyone < 3.0 cGPA, without any consideration to trends). Once you make it past that initial screening, human eyes will see your application and be able to appreciate your upward trend. It will still be an uphill battle, but there's no sense in worrying about things that cannot be changed. Just stay focused, keep improving your GPA, plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

Some schools give less weight to freshman year grades. When you are of nontraditional age, some schools give much more weight to your very recent grades. Having a high science GPA is another modifying factor that should work in your favor. A high MCAT score is another factor that can cause med schools to take a closer look at your entire transcript when you have a low cGPA, as will a steep upward grade trend.

While some DO schools would like to see a cGPA of 3.0 or greater, there are some that will consider cGPAs of 2.5 to 2.75. Osteopathic schools are far more likely to look at the entire application, rather than just the numbers.

Some schools give less weight to freshman year grades. When you are of nontraditional age, some schools give much more weight to your very recent grades. Having a high science GPA is another modifying factor that should work in your favor. A high MCAT score is another factor that can cause med schools to take a closer look at your entire transcript when you have a low cGPA, as will a steep upward grade trend.

While some DO schools would like to see a cGPA of 3.0 or greater, there are some that will consider cGPAs of 2.5 to 2.75. Osteopathic schools are far more likely to look at the entire application, rather than just the numbers.

Thanks! I'm moving forward with my plan.