Transfer D.O.

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by DreamJob, Apr 22, 2004.

1. DreamJob

DreamJob Member
    7+ Year Member

Has anyone ever heard of a DO student transfering to an MD school?

2. DireWolf

DireWolf The Pride of Cucamonga
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It does happen. You would have to call individual MD programs to find out their policy on osteopathic transfers. The only MD school I know for sure that allows this is Brown. I'm sure there are many others.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

There are quite a few allopathic schools that take DO transfers--Temple, University of Illinois, Brown, Drexel, Tulane, to name a few. Like any transfer from one med school to another (MD to MD, DO to MD, DO to DO, etc.), it is difficult. You usually have to have personal reasons that really jump out at the addcom. A student in my class at TCOM just got accepted into the thrid year at Baylor. She had very good reasons for doing so though. Because she was not exactly at the top of the class, I would have to say that the personal reasons are more important than any academic credentials a student brings to the table.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Brown? That is odd, since they have such wierd requirements for their admission as a freshman.

5. DoctorInSpace

DoctorInSpace Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, check with the individual schools. An upperclassperson I know of is transferring to Louisiana (LSU i believe). It was for personal/family reasons. He will be a 3rd year when he starts at the MD school. It can happen, but as others have said....gotta have a good reason.