Transfer D.O.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamJob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of a DO student transfering to an MD school?

Members don't see this ad.

It does happen. You would have to call individual MD programs to find out their policy on osteopathic transfers. The only MD school I know for sure that allows this is Brown. I'm sure there are many others.

There are quite a few allopathic schools that take DO transfers--Temple, University of Illinois, Brown, Drexel, Tulane, to name a few. Like any transfer from one med school to another (MD to MD, DO to MD, DO to DO, etc.), it is difficult. You usually have to have personal reasons that really jump out at the addcom. A student in my class at TCOM just got accepted into the thrid year at Baylor. She had very good reasons for doing so though. Because she was not exactly at the top of the class, I would have to say that the personal reasons are more important than any academic credentials a student brings to the table.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plinko said:
There are quite a few allopathic schools that take DO transfers--Temple, University of Illinois, Brown, Drexel, Tulane, to name a few. Like any transfer from one med school to another (MD to MD, DO to MD, DO to DO, etc.), it is difficult. You usually have to have personal reasons that really jump out at the addcom. A student in my class at TCOM just got accepted into the thrid year at Baylor. She had very good reasons for doing so though. Because she was not exactly at the top of the class, I would have to say that the personal reasons are more important than any academic credentials a student brings to the table.

Brown? That is odd, since they have such wierd requirements for their admission as a freshman.

Yeah, check with the individual schools. An upperclassperson I know of is transferring to Louisiana (LSU i believe). It was for personal/family reasons. He will be a 3rd year when he starts at the MD school. It can happen, but as others have said....gotta have a good reason.