Transfer Student: CNA vs Scribe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redrobin188743

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently transferred undergraduate colleges and I am currently a junior. I am looking to find a job close to school, but unsure of what job to look for. At my previous institution I was a CNA for about 6 months at a local nursing home.

Because I transferred, I now have the option to either find a different job as CNA or my college has a quite a few openings at the University hospital for scribe positions. I think it would be cool to have the opportunity to work as a scribe, but I am worried that it may look bad for admissions to see that I only worked as a CNA for 6 months and then never again. Do scribes get any patient contact? I am also worried that I will not have enough clinical/patient hours to be competitive for MD schools.

Another thing to point out in the job search, is that it is difficult to find CNA jobs close to my university as my university is located downtown in a big city. I am also finding that the CNA jobs looking to be filled require working 20 hours a week, and I cannot work that much due to school. The scribe positions I am looking at have special, part-time hours for students. Any advice would greatly be appreciated! Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.