Transfer to a UK medical school from a US school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phoenixi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to transfer to a medical school in the UK after doing first year in the US? Will credits from the US count?

If so, is it possible to enter the graduate program in the UK (where you can finish med school in 4 years instead of 6)?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to transfer to a medical school in the UK after doing first year in the US? Will credits from the US count?

If so, is it possible to enter the graduate program in the UK (where you can finish med school in 4 years instead of 6)?

Transfers are almost non-existent even between UK schools. To even be considered you would have to have very compelling reasons. There is no way they would count any US work.

Not all the grad courses accept foreign students, but I don't see why you couldn't apply to those that do. I don't think one has ever taken a transfer though. I know of someone that started med school abroad and re-applied like normal to a UK 4 year course and got in. Med school is usually 5 years not 6, it is 6 in some places because you can do an intercalated degree, a few schools make you, at most it is optional.

I agree with Bambi.

It's hard to transfer after 1st year to another US school, never mind an international school where the first year curriculum has next to no chance at being identical.

But, if you had the chops to get into a US school you could probably apply to a UK school and get accepted, but you would have to start over from the beginning.

Your best shot at transferring to different medical schools within the US is transferring just prior to the clinical years (year 3) but even that is challenging. It may be possible to transfer to an international school for clinicals, but it definitely won't be easy.

But, if you had the chops to get into a US school you could probably apply to a UK school and get accepted

Not necessarily, depends on individual stats. There is far less of a range in terms of stats accepted, in America it seems if you apply to enough places even with a low-ish GPA you can still get in, that isn't the case here. We can only apply to a maximum of 4 schools for a start. I'm not saying you wouldn't get in, I am just saying that getting in in the US doesn't mean you would automatically be competitive here. Saying that though what is acceptable for foreign students is usually lower than what is required of home students.