Transfer to UC Berkeley or UC Davis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joemm426

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have to choose between these schools by June 1st. I will be a molecular biology major at either school. Any opinions?

Berkeley Pros:
Prestige
Take class with Nobel prize winners, maybe get into their labs
Surrounded by highly driven and motivated individuals

Berkeley cons:
A little more expensive
A little more competitive
Not guaranteed on-campus housing

UC Davis Pros:
Less expensive
Guaranteed on-campus housing
I already have a lab opportunity set up
Many resources for pre med
Less competitive

UC Davis Cons:
Not as prestigious

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Berkeley.
See you there :D

With little context it's hard to say, so i'm going to assume all else equal and go with the school with the obvious better name: Berkeley.

But be warned, coming from a UC myself, the better the name of the UC the more crazy, cut throat the students will be. They all worked just as hard as you did to get in to the school so expect to bust your ass. At my UC 60% are bio majors and usually pre-med. A very low percentage end up actually ever matriculating in to medical schools for obvious reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you already completed the prereqs at your current institution, so you'll just be taking upper level classes of interest to finish out your degree? Or would you be transferring in as a sophomore and have to do things like Ochem, Physics, Biochem at the UC?

Have you already completed the prereqs at your current institution, so you'll just be taking upper level classes of interest to finish out your degree? Or would you be transferring in as a sophomore and have to do things like Ochem, Physics, Biochem at the UC?
I finished all medical school pre reqs except biochem and stats.

I finished all medical school pre reqs except biochem and stats.
I'd go Berkeley then, Biochem will be tough but after that, grade deflation/competition shouldn't be overwhelming in the small upper level classes.

I'd go Berkeley then, Biochem will be tough but after that, grade deflation/competition shouldn't be overwhelming in the small upper level classes.
Yeah, students from my community college are doing very well at Berkeley. I suppose the biggest problems about Berkeley would be finding housing and a lab position to get into. However, I can achieve that during the summer...

Reactions: 1 user
You didn't give me this context. If then, Davis sounds a lot better to be honest...