Transfering from Com. Col., need advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLeadem2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, my names Ryan and Ive been lurking on this forum for awhile but havent yet posted. I only have a few classes left to finish my General Transfer AA but its at a community college...ill be completing it with an expected GPA in the 3.5 range (though im told the local college im interested in doesnt take the GPA in only the completion on the 2 year program). The only science class i will have taken at the community college is intro/gen bio 1 w/lab in which i got a B in the class and an A in the lab.

So anyhow, Ill be transfering in as a Jr after completion and Im extremely interested in the dental field. Obviously the majority of my science classes/credits will be completed at the 4yr university and I also assume that my earlier GPA though ignored by the univeristy will be dug up/implemented if applying to dental schools.

My questions are...will the CC background be detrimental to my chances? does anyone out there have an experience to share having taken this route? will by bio from CC be frowned upon (should I retake it at the 4 year or put the time/effort into higher level classes)?

Ive been out of school for a lonnng time and have only recently felt a strong urge for the academic environment, Ive grown up alot over the last few years and feel ready to exceed the expectations Ive never quite lived up to (ive been a lifetime underachiever academically since highschool after being an exceptionally bright youth); Ive always lacked the dedication and fortitude that I feel I possess at this point in my life, hence my current goals.

THANKS in advance for any help/suggestions. :thumbup:

lol...realized i misspelled 'transferring' in the title, sry for any other typos, typing in the dark on a crappy laptop at the moment with catchy and non responsive keys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, my names Ryan and Ive been lurking on this forum for awhile but havent yet posted. I only have a few classes left to finish my General Transfer AA but its at a community college...ill be completing it with an expected GPA in the 3.5 range (though im told the local college im interested in doesnt take the GPA in only the completion on the 2 year program). The only science class i will have taken at the community college is intro/gen bio 1 w/lab in which i got a B in the class and an A in the lab.

So anyhow, Ill be transfering in as a Jr after completion and Im extremely interested in the dental field. Obviously the majority of my science classes/credits will be completed at the 4yr university and I also assume that my earlier GPA though ignored by the univeristy will be dug up/implemented if applying to dental schools.

My questions are...will the CC background be detrimental to my chances? does anyone out there have an experience to share having taken this route? will by bio from CC be frowned upon (should I retake it at the 4 year or put the time/effort into higher level classes)?

Ive been out of school for a lonnng time and have only recently felt a strong urge for the academic environment, Ive grown up alot over the last few years and feel ready to exceed the expectations Ive never quite lived up to (ive been a lifetime underachiever academically since highschool after being an exceptionally bright youth); Ive always lacked the dedication and fortitude that I feel I possess at this point in my life, hence my current goals.

THANKS in advance for any help/suggestions. :thumbup:

lol...realized i misspelled 'transferring' in the title, sry for any other typos, typing in the dark on a crappy laptop at the moment with catchy and non responsive keys.

You can get into a dental school even though you went to a community college first. I highly doubt that they will look down on it heavily. You have a good story to tell when it comes time to writing your personal statement. I went to a community college first and now I am attending a great dental school. Even though we can't see each others grades, we can see our test averages within our class and my test scores are always above average so going to a community college has no effect on what kind of student you will be.

Wasup Ryan. I was at CC for freshman and sophomore year. I took all of Gen Chem, Biol, and Ochem there. Although its not the best route, it can be done. First off, theres a few things you should know;

1. Some dental schools don't even take community college credits (Tufts). Some have a limit like only half of the prereqs can be taken at CC.

2. When you get to a 4-year University you have to kick some ass to prove that you can handle it. A lot of people looked down on me as a CC student and doubted my knowledge in the lower sciences. Knowing this made me highly motivated and super focused on doing well. University classes can be a lot more overwhelming and teachers are usually less helpful so make sure you are a good independent learner. It sounds like you have the drive and motivation to get into DSchool. Keep up the momentum.

3. The university offers much more ECs than CCs do. Make sure you know of and take advantage of all the programs such as dental clubs and the opportunity to do research.

Since you do have CC classes, pick and choose the right schools to maximize your chances of getting in. Since you don't have that many prereqs at CC I think its going to be fine. PM if you have any more questions.

Regarding your GPA, yes dental schools will see all of your grades, so you're in great shape so far. When you apply to dental school you will have a few different GPA's: an overall GPA, a science GPA (science classes + math), a non-science GPA, and BCP (biology, chemistry, & physics).

Taking a heavy load of science classes is much harder than taking a full load of general classes. You may want to consider taking general chem or physics over the summer to help you get used to the pace. I just transferred from a cc to a 4-year liberal arts school. So far its been an easy transition. Good luck!