Transferring Between D.O. Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMaestro788

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have several questions:

1. I was wondering how easy/hard is it to transfer between Osteopathic schools? I have started my first year at MSUCOM and kind of want to transfer after this year to a different school, maybe Western University. How wise is that? My reasoning is because I really don't want to be in MI for the rest of my life and it seems that MSUCOM grads stay in MI because of the really good reputation it has in the area and the amount of residencies in the state that respect the program both Allo/Osteo.....

2. I want to transfer to a school in Cali/NY/FL/Il that has a strong reputation in the area and has solid rotation sites. I know that MSUCOM has an extremely good reputation and network in the state. Only problem is that they are all in MI.... Therefore, I'd like the school to be similar in that sense that I will have no problems getting residencies after because of its strong reputation.

3. Does it really matter what osteo school you go to? People here at MSUCOM tell me that it'd be stupid to transfer because MSUCOM is the best and ranked so highly in primary care but does it really matter?

Thanks for any opinions/suggestions

Members don't see this ad.

MSUCOM has a great reputation, and if you're in-state, pretty reasonable tuition.

Why the hell do you want to transfer? This sounds like a ******ed idea.

MSUCOM is one of the best osteopathic medical schools in the country. I wouldn't recommend transferring elsewhere. (disclosure: I didn't go to MSUCOM).

Just because you go there doesn't mean that you won't be able to do residency and settle elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I have several questions:

1. I was wondering how easy/hard is it to transfer between Osteopathic schools? I have started my first year at MSUCOM and kind of want to transfer after this year to a different school, maybe Western University. How wise is that? My reasoning is because I really don't want to be in MI for the rest of my life and it seems that MSUCOM grads stay in MI because of the really good reputation it has in the area and the amount of residencies in the state that respect the program both Allo/Osteo.....

2. I want to transfer to a school in Cali/NY/FL/Il that has a strong reputation in the area and has solid rotation sites. I know that MSUCOM has an extremely good reputation and network in the state. Only problem is that they are all in MI.... Therefore, I'd like the school to be similar in that sense that I will have no problems getting residencies after because of its strong reputation.

3. Does it really matter what osteo school you go to? People here at MSUCOM tell me that it'd be stupid to transfer because MSUCOM is the best and ranked so highly in primary care but does it really matter?

Thanks for any opinions/suggestions

From a practical and realistic perspective, adcoms will see this as a poor justification for a transfer request. You need to have a compelling reason- spouse is in another school, medical emergency of self/family member, are examples. That graduates choose to stay in the state of the school they graduate from is not reason enough.

1. I don't think it's simple to transfer between schools. Some schools have dfferent types of format (i.e. PBL vs. lecture) that if you weren't in that format already it may be hard to catch up. I encourage you to look into it if you are really unhappy but know that the few transfers between med schools that take place every year are usually for extenuating circumstances such as a death in the family, spouse moving for job....etc.

2. I think if you look at most schools, the rotations are mostly in that state. PCOM and UMDNJ are also top of the line schools and have almost all rotations in their state. You'll even see that at most allopathic schools as well. They have connections to those hospitals and it would certainly limit the traveling strain on the student so it makes sense for the sites to be in the state of the school. That being said, I know of several students at various allo and osteo schools that did a lot of away rotations their 4th year. You would have plenty of opportunities to do rotations in states where you would want to settle long term so don't think that all is lost by you being at MSU. I think if you look at the match lists of previous matriculants, you will notice that people do leave Michigan and go onto great residencies in other states.

3. While I do agree with the sentiment of other posters and your colleagues in that you are already at an excellent school, I am not going to discourage you from at least looking into transferring options. I am not sure how you feel mentally about being in a place that you don't seem too enthusiastic about but if you think it's going to affect your performance then I think you should look into transferring. But you really need to think about what is it that you don't like about the place. If it's the rotations being in one state, then I would suck it up and work through that because you aren't really going to gain anything in that regards by going to a different school. But if there other issues that you have with the school (i.e. the emphasis on primary care, students, profs...etc) then you need to think about what school will meet those needs. On one hand, I feel like if you can get through the 4 years,you should do it but only if you can do that without causing disruption to your mental stability. I don't know the whole story behind your wanting to leave, but like I said, if it's this idea that you are going to get stuck working in MI, I think you need to do more research into what opportunities the school gives to students to go to other states or talk to M4s that have applied outside MI for their residency. If however your issues are deeper, then you need to think about leaving but know that moving to a new school in the middle of your schooling tenure will bring on its own issues. There may be problems at the new school as well in terms of making friends, the cirriculum that you may have to adjust to or may not even like. Just think hard about what it is that makes you want to leave before you make the decision.

Also, to answer your question, I do think it's important where you go. Call me a snob but I've always thought that there are some schools out there that are better than others. And they are that way because they provide you a quality of teaching and resources that you don't get elsewhere. It would be foolish not to admit that there still is some MD vs. DO issues out there, even in the hospital realm. In order to best circumvent that, I think you should be going to the best school possible where there is a strong history of good education, connections to good hospitals, excellent reputation.....etc. And there are several of those kinds of DO schools out there. I think you are already at one of them and MSU's reputaton and quaity of education I imagine are fantastic. But if you need something more out of a school that you think MSU can't give you and another school can, go for it, but just be wary of the baggage that may come with it. I wish you the best!

All transfers have to go through your dean. Dont risk looking unsatisfied at your school. Its a good school and 4 years is a short time. Good luck

Unless things have changed dramatically, the dean at MSUCOM will NOT let you transfer.(A student from MSUCOM who would have graduated in 2007 wanted to transfer, the dean wouldn't let her and she ended up retaking the MCAT and applying to allo schools after completing her first year at MSUCOM). Just because most MSUCOM students do Mich residencies doesn't mean you have to. You will have to do your base hospital rotations in Mi, but you can go out of state for some of your electives.

At western we go through anatomy in 12 weeks (an example of how schools have different cirriculums) and other schools such as KCUMB does anatomy over the course of 2 years. I think the largest difference is what you've learned in your school versus the one you're planning to switch to.

There's no law saying you have to do a residency in the state where you attended medical school otherwise some states wouldn't have enough spots and some would have too many. A lot MSUCOM graduates stay in MI simply b/c it does have the largest number of DO residencies of any state by far. The only other state that comes close is Ohio and OSUCOM is a strictly in-state school. Any other state you went to would give you less access to DO residencies. Unless you want to be able to rotate through allo prgram hospitals....which you're not going to be able to as a DO student anyway.

Does MSUCOM allow you to do elective rotations your fourth? If so, then that's when you go to other states to audition for programs.

All transfers have to go through your dean. Dont risk looking unsatisfied at your school. Its a good school and 4 years is a short time. Good luck

Unfortunately, not short enough sometimes...

Good grief, just answer the guy's question.

How easy/hard is it?
Depends on the schools in question. In my class we had one student transfer to the west coast, and another student in the class ahead of us transfer to CCOM. You first need to contact the school you wish to transfer to as soon as possible. Find out what information they need. Chances are they'll require some form of documentation from your dean stating that you are in good academic standing. Obtaining that documentation can be as hard or as easy as your dean is. Its always uncomfortable approaching your dean in this situation, but just be honest with them and ask them for their help. If they have any integrity (and I suspect they do), they'll do their part and fill out whatever forms you need.

How wise is it?
People have different reasons for transferring. The two students I know of did so because of family/marriage reasons.

Reasoning to transfer because you don't want to stay in MI?
Pretty poor. No reason to stay in michigan if you don't want to. You can match wherever you want. Furthermore, even if you do your residency in michigan (of which there are far more DO-friendly programs in MI than most other states), there's no law stating that you have to practice medicine there.

2. I want to transfer to a school in Cali/NY/FL/Il...
If you feel you'll be happier (and by extension, a better medical student) by living in Cali/NY/FL/IL, then go ahead and transfer. I can't speak on the reputation.

MSUCOM is certainly a solid program, but I don't necessarily think they're the best. Frankly, from the allopathic residency's perspective I think all the DO programs are looked at as being pretty much the same. So no, I don't think it really matters. What matters is that you score well on boards (vitally important), earn solid clerkship grades/rec letters and obtain the best possible residency you can get.