transferring for clerkship years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newyawk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a student at a 7 year medical program in which we transfer to a cooperating school for our final 2 years of medical school. I need some advice as to how to rank the 3 schools that I interviewed at (it works like a match system).

NYU: will take 2.5 years (plus a 6 month waiting period to join with their 2nd year students due to their curriculum difference - total of one year extra).

NYMC and suny downstate: both will take 2 years to complete. Nymc is closer to where i will be living, drivable, and in a nicer area (most of their affiliated hospitals, at least). Dont really have any pros for downstate except cheaper tuition (~15k/yr) and supposedly a better hospital for students.

i am competitive at all 3 schools. Nyu takes 5 students (out of 60) nymc takes about 10 and downstate about 20. I am interested in possibly pursuing an MPH or an MBA (only nyu) but i also want to be as competitive for residency matches in new york as possible (internal, ortho, among a few others). Please advise as to how you would rank and pros and cons that I may not be aware of :)
Based on the 7-year program and username, i'm guessing you're at sophie. I thought the placement system was strictly based on what each school wants... and that they have their own med school now?

If you want to be as competitive as possible objectively, my vote goes to NYU. I've read some rumors of Carribean schools buying out rotation spots at hospitals from schools like NYMC that don't have their own hospitals (http://www.politico.com/states/new-...d-wider-competition-for-rotation-space-000000).

Last edited: