Transferring mid Junior Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

197premed

Reaction score
sa

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I do feel that my GPA would improve greatly if I moved, but I wonder how such a move from a large, reputable university to a small, less known institution would be perceived in my future applications to post baccs and ultimately med schools.

Most premed grads from this college went to DO and dental schools
Seems to me like the results speak for themselves in this case. I don't have anything against DO but I think your chances are already in jeopardy based on your GPA and transferring could disrupt your education more than it might help at this point.

Hmm, the only reasons I would move are better professor-student interaction, smaller class size, and a higher GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
Your current GPA will keep you out of any medical school. Do whatever it takes to go from a C student into an A student, it will not be easy.

My goal at this point is to take as many upper-level bio electives as I possibly can during the 3 semesters

plan to take the MCAT mid senior year, and I started studying
Both of these are bad ideas, regardless of whether you transfer of not. You are obviously doing something wrong academically based on your GPAs, and doing the two things above are most likely going to exacerbate that. Do not load up on difficult courses immediately until you figure out what you're doing wrong... take two at most first and see if you have success. Then you can increase. You seem to want to rush this, but you need serious GPA repair, which takes time. Taking the MCAT your senior year doesn't make sense, either, becuase 1) it adds another academic burden that you don't yet know whether you can handle, and 2) you are obviously going to need to take 1-2 gap years (at least), so taking the MCAT that early is unnecessary.
Sounds like you also need to read this: Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Status
Not open for further replies.