Transferring out of UCLA to UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SharpSabre

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently an undergrad at UCLA and have done well my first year 3.8 or so taking the life science courses. However, I am not enjoying UCLA as a school. I regret not going to UC Davis which is 40 minutes away from my house and also the school that many of my friends are attending.

I feel very lost and distant to everyone at UCLA. I find myself missing Nor Cal routinely and very much enjoyed the time I spent at Davis. I am familiar with the school as well. I have some other more personal reasons as to why it would be favorable to transfer as well.

I was hoping to work on transferring to UC Davis at the end of my sophomore year (only time I think I could transfer). However, I am hesitant, because I am pre-dental and worry that leaving a more "prestigious UC" for a "less prestigious UC" will be looked upon negatively in dental school applications. Granted, most if not all of my pre-reqs will have been completed at UCLA with half of them already done.

Will transferring schools affect my chances even if I do as well (if not maybe better) at Davis than at UCLA gpa wise? Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Go where you're happy. If you maintain a gpa above 3.8 it doesn't matter where you go

Reactions: 4 users
The more you have fun at college, the more your gpa suffer.
It's an inverse relationship.

If you want to have fun, go to UC DAVIS
If you want to go to dental school, stay where you are.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you want to go to dental school, stay where you are.[/QUOTE

I don't plan to have fun in either place. UCLA is a very competitive school and to get all A's there is no fun. I expect the same from Davis. It isn't about fun. Happiness and fun don't go hand and hand.

Reactions: 1 users

I completely disagree with this. I know kids who have a blast at college and maintain a humble GPA, myself included. It is NOT an inverse relationship whatsoever. OP, I can nearly guarantee that when you do things like go out with your friends, party here and there, tailgate football games, go to the bars once you're old enough, your GPA will stay the same if not increase. When you go to college... you go to college. Not just school. You're only there for four years until you're responsible for other people's wellbeing every day for the rest of your life. Please take advantage of it and have a blast. Obviously, don't party every night or even every week if you cannot balance it. Every person is different and having fun is not only healthy for your GPA, but healthy for your body as well (and keeps you sane).

Reactions: 9 users
I am getting the vibe that dental schools won't care too much if I transfer. Is this true?

Yeah dude they don't care. Dental schools are not too preoccupied with inbreeding (except maybe top 3 dental schools.) I would value your personal happiness over imagined prestige any day (especially when you are switching to a perfectly good university.) I would try to transfer this semester even if you can, no use in living where you don't want to. Keep good grades, good EC's, good shadowing, maybe good research, and kill the DAT and you will get into dental school. Heck, even use this experience as your overcoming adversity prompt. I will say that a change in your state of mind will allow you to enjoy UCLA more if you have to stay for another year. College is a privilege of the highest degree and to take a moment and realize how fortunate you are, how much your family is proud and supportive of you, and the plethora of opportunities you have been given should be enough to help you find the bright side of your situation. Don't fall victim to the prison of the mind, you'll be surprised what a change in perspective can do to your general happiness.

Yeah, you're transferring to UC Davis, not Northern Midwest University of the South Technical College (go aardvarks). Dental schools won't even bat an eye, UCD is a great school! And agreed with above, happiness is so important in such a rigorous field.

They don't care where you went. UCLA and UC Davis are both great. I am a UCD grad myself, and I'm in the Class of 2021 at one of the most prestigious dental schools in the country. As long as you maintain good grades, get a good DAT score, and have good extracurriculars they dont' care.

They don't care where you went. UCLA and UC Davis are both great. I am a UCD grad myself, and I'm in the Class of 2021 at one of the most prestigious dental schools in the country. As long as you maintain good grades, get a good DAT score, and have good extracurriculars they dont' care.
Class of 2021? Does that mean you turned down UoP!? (or did you mean c/o 2020?)

Hello, I am currently an undergrad at UCLA and have done well my first year 3.8 or so taking the life science courses. However, I am not enjoying UCLA as a school. I regret not going to UC Davis which is 40 minutes away from my house and also the school that many of my friends are attending.

I feel very lost and distant to everyone at UCLA. I find myself missing Nor Cal routinely and very much enjoyed the time I spent at Davis. I am familiar with the school as well. I have some other more personal reasons as to why it would be favorable to transfer as well.

I was hoping to work on transferring to UC Davis at the end of my sophomore year (only time I think I could transfer). However, I am hesitant, because I am pre-dental and worry that leaving a more "prestigious UC" for a "less prestigious UC" will be looked upon negatively in dental school applications. Granted, most if not all of my pre-reqs will have been completed at UCLA with half of them already done.

Will transferring schools affect my chances even if I do as well (if not maybe better) at Davis than at UCLA gpa wise? Thank you very much.
What about UCLA makes you feel distant? Are you mostly feeling homesick/missing friends at Davis? I don't think transferring would hurt your chances at all.

What about UCLA makes you feel distant? Are you mostly feeling homesick/missing friends at Davis? I don't think transferring would hurt your chances at all.

I don't particularly like the general population of LA. Everyone feels so fake. It isn't at all like nor cal.

Reactions: 1 user

This is such a silly comment. You can both go to Davis and get into dental school. Having fun and maintaining good grades is certainly possible.

Reactions: 1 user
This is such a silly comment. You can both go to Davis and get into dental school. Having fun and maintaining good grades is certainly possible.
Yeah, I couldn't tell if he was being serious.

I don't believe this is true. If it was my GPA would suffer. Many people I know go out every weekend or sometime during the weekday and still manage to get 3.7+ gpa and are now in med school/dent school. I believe its just managing your time and disciplining yourself. Try to cherish your undergrad years and transfer if you feel happy.

uc Davis or sac state wouldn't matter

yeah, I turned down UOP.