Transferring programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Playmate2002

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched into a small community program that I ranked because my family asked me to stay close to home.
I ranked the larger academic programs such as emory, BIDMC, Brigham, etc lower on the list.
I am really unhappy with my choice because I wanted to train for an academic career in pathology.
Should I go to the program and try to transfer later?
or should I not go through with the match offer and re-apply another year.
I am so depressed.:(

Members don't see this ad.

I matched into a small community program that I ranked because my family asked me to stay close to home.
I ranked the larger academic programs such as emory, BIDMC, Brigham, etc lower on the list.
I am really unhappy with my choice because I wanted to train for an academic career in pathology.

As part of the binding Match agreement, you have to at least START residency at the place that you matched. I don't think your situation will qualify for a waiver to the committment. However, after that, it's up to you and your residency program to negotiate whether to continue with training or not. It'll certainly be hard to transfer mid-year because spots are only occasionally opened up. You can certainly apply again during your intern year and see what happens. It'll be hard to coordinate interview times though, so you may have to be selective in where you apply.

If you apply for PGY-1 spot elsewhere, you can use ERAS, but if you're applying for PGY-2, I believe you inquire with each individual program to see what they want. Whatever the case, the programs you will apply to will want to see Letters of Rec from Faculty in your current program, and maybe a letter from the Program Director as well (Especially since you're not switching specialty, but sticking with Pathology). Also, you are no longer required to go through the match because you'll no longer be a U.S. Senior in med school. Places MAY offer your pre-match offer if you're one of their favorite candidates, but some places simply DON'T offer pre-match spot at all.

Transferring isn't that uncommon. My residency class had 2 of them. I don't think you'd be able to transfer into any of the high powered programs discussed here, but there are plenty of academic institutions w/ pathology residency programs. You might even be able to find one close to home, so that everyone is happy.

There are probably others here who are more knowledgeable. I don't think doing residency at a community program will affect your chances of pursuing an academic career.

----- Antony

Members don't see this ad :)
The bright side is Transfer's always possible, though hard as spots can open up at random times. However, even high-power programs have people leaving every year or other year or so, including one of the programs you listed. This can be due to personal reasons (Changing geographical locations, switching specialty, etc.) and doesn't neccessarily mean the program's malignant/horrible.

If you're set on switching soon (Before PGY-1 is over), then you should be up front and talk to the Program Director at your current program and see if he/she can help you out. You probably also have to do quite a lot of phone calls/emails at various programs to see if they are taking people mid-year.

Switching Program can be a touchy issue, but it's do-able. I switched from another specialty to Pathology. Initially I was nervous to talk to my previous Program Director but turned out he was quite sympathetic and I was sure he wrote me a good letter of rec to support my switch.

Sorry to hear of your situation. I've been through something very similar. PM me.