Transferring Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trb25

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about transferring from one location to another in the same specialty. I am currently in my PGY1 year and am set to start my PGY2 as an advanced position. There has recently been an opening in the program that I ranked 1st initially in the match in a region of the country that I would be worlds happier and is close to family.
Is there any way for me to transfer to this program or am I bound to my original program and destined to be unhappy where I matched?

Thanks, here's hoping

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about transferring from one location to another in the same specialty. I am currently in my PGY1 year and am set to start my PGY2 as an advanced position. There has recently been an opening in the program that I ranked 1st initially in the match in a region of the country that I would be worlds happier and is close to family.
Is there any way for me to transfer to this program or am I bound to my original program and destined to be unhappy where I matched?

Thanks, here's hoping

Unfortunately, this would constitute a match violation. You are contractually bound to show up to your previously matched PGY2 program.

NRMP will usually grant waivers if someone decides early enough during their intern year to switch advanced specialties. However they won’t grant this for someone who simply wants to switch programs within the same specialty. There needs to be a new hardship, like a spousal issue or a seriously ill family member or something. A highly coveted residency position suddenly opening up does not constitute a hardship. If everyone tried to switch programs after matching, the entire Match system deteriorates. If you ranked your current program (which presumably you did); then in the eyes of the NRMP you must have considered the possibility of matching away from your family, and were ok with it. I guess you could ask your future PD about transferring once you show up, but that’s probably not the best way to start a relationship with your boss.

“Destined” for unhappiness is rather histrionic, don’t you think? You may not be as happy now, but you may also end up really liking your program.

Unfortunately, this would constitute a match violation. You are contractually bound to show up to your previously matched PGY2 program.

NRMP will usually grant waivers if someone decides early enough during their intern year to switch advanced specialties. However they won’t grant this for someone who simply wants to switch programs within the same specialty. There needs to be a new hardship, like a spousal issue or a seriously ill family member or something. A highly coveted residency position suddenly opening up does not constitute a hardship. If everyone tried to switch programs after matching, the entire Match system deteriorates. If you ranked your current program (which presumably you did); then in the eyes of the NRMP you must have considered the possibility of matching away from your family, and were ok with it. I guess you could ask your future PD about transferring once you show up, but that’s probably not the best way to start a relationship with your boss.

“Destined” for unhappiness is rather histrionic, don’t you think? You may not be as happy now, but you may also end up really liking your program.

What Ludicolo said. Especially about the drama queen-ish last statement.

But...here's the deal. You are obligated to show up for work at your advanced program on the first day of July (or whatever your contract says). After that, NRMP doesn't care what you do (although your contract will have a minimum notice you need to give them before you quit...whether you adhere to that or not is up to you).

So if you can somehow convince the program with an open spot to wait for you until mid-July or August (or maybe October if your program has a 3 month notice clause that you choose to adhere to), there's no (legal or technical) reason that you can't show up at your matched Advanced program on July 1 and announce your resignation, then move on to the 2nd program.

Keep in mind that this requires you to take Program #2s word that they'll keep the spot for you since signing a contract with them before you resign from Program 1 is a match violation and could cause you to lose both spots and a chance to participate in the Match in the future.

since signing a contract with them [Program 2] before you resign from Program 1 is a match violation

Is this true? Do residents who switch really have to resign from their current positions before signing a contract with their new program? This is the first I'm hearing of this rule, and I doubt many would do something as drastic as give up their residency positions without a guarantee of another spot, and know that the practice of switching spots isn't terribly rare.

Also, what if your home program doesn't let you go? Can they refuse your resignation?

Is this true? Do residents who switch really have to resign from their current positions before signing a contract with their new program? This is the first I'm hearing of this rule, and I doubt many would do something as drastic as give up their residency positions without a guarantee of another spot, and know that the practice of switching spots isn't terribly rare.

You're misunderstanding the statement I made. You can not, in the time between the Match and reporting for duty to a program you matched to, sign a contract with another program in the same specialty...that is a Match violation.

Once you have fulfilled your Match obligation (i.e. showing up on day 1 of the year for which you matched), you can do whatever you want, at least as far as NRMP is concerned. So somebody doing what the OP is asking about (signing a contract with another advanced program in Specialty X and blowing off the Specialty X program they matched to before going to work there) would risk being labeled a Match violator. Somebody who wants to leave Program X after starting there, is free to sign a contract with another program at any time s/he wishes. Two different issues.

Also, what if your home program doesn't let you go? Can they refuse your resignation?

LOLWUT? You tender your resignation, you stop showing up. That's it.

They may not write you a letter of "good standing" which you will need for any subsequent training and/or licensing but it's not like the PD is going to send Vinnie and Joey (I actually had landlords in Brooklyn named Vinnie and Joey...scared the crap out of me...so glad to move) to your house and drag you into your ICU long call shift.

Even if you were transferring out of one program in good standing and into another program (i.e., not pursuing the resignation strategy as is the topic of this thread), you would still have no guarantee. It's like swinging through the trees from branch to branch: you have to let go of one branch before you grab on to the next one. You have to take the risk. If you're too risk averse, then the transfer process is not for you.