Transferring schools - how does it look on med apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

redrobin188743

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello - just a quick questions for you guys.
I just received my financial aid packet from my current college (I am a rising junior) and my tuition has increased almost $8,000. Unfortunately because of this increase, I will not be able to attend my college this fall because I cannot afford it.
I currently go to a small, private liberal arts college in MN and considering transferring to the U of MN Twin Cities. My question is how that would look for medical school applications? My college is known for its academic rigor, and I'm afraid that med schools would see it as a 'down grade' to go to a state school. Please let me know your thoughts. It's a shame and I'm quite disappointed to leave my current school, as I love it, but I simply cannot afford it. Thank you for any input
 
Hello - just a quick questions for you guys.
I just received my financial aid packet from my current college (I am a rising junior) and my tuition has increased almost $8,000. Unfortunately because of this increase, I will not be able to attend my college this fall because I cannot afford it.
I currently go to a small, private liberal arts college in MN and considering transferring to the U of MN Twin Cities. My question is how that would look for medical school applications? My college is known for its academic rigor, and I'm afraid that med schools would see it as a 'down grade' to go to a state school. Please let me know your thoughts. It's a shame and I'm quite disappointed to leave my current school, as I love it, but I simply cannot afford it. Thank you for any input
Your explanation for transferring isn't atypical. Adcomms will not discriminate against you. Just take care that your grades don't take a dive when you find yourself in much larger class sections with far less individual faculty support if you begin to struggle.
 
Although I'm sure your school is academically rigorous, that is rarely weighed into consideration because the MCAT is the true mediator. (Unless it is an IVY). Any 4-year institution is fine.