Transferring to a local university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zandra1

Reaction score
Hello SDN, I am new to the forum and excited to be part of the community! I am currently a sophomore at a state school with an affiliated med school with an AMCAS GPA of 3.84 That being said I entered college with a different career in mind (and a non stem degree/ no med school pre-requisites) due to my struggles in high school with chemistry that discouraged me from pursuing a career in health as well as a GPA that seemed to be lower than pre-med peers. I intend to transfer to a local college in my city to declare a biology major and begin the pre-med courses. My reasons for wanting to transfer are: 1) grandma who needs day to day help has offered to let me live with her, she is pretty old and lonely but stubborn (not wanting to live with others/ go to nursing home) 2) school is cost efficient and provides sufficient, but less resources than my larger school to premeds. That being said the professors are good and there are ample research opportunities. It would result in less student loans and not require me to rent an apartment as well as be in a city with many shadowing opportunities. 3) I think I will be most efficient in a simple setting, where school is solely the focus. The school is regarded as a no frills/ commuter school Cons: 1) Leaving my university makes me nervous because the med school I would like to go to is affiliated with the school (making an explanation probable) 2) The university I will be going to is "less prestigious" and has a lower barrier to entry/ lower graduation rate. Their premed program is known for being rigorous though, and they seem to have an abundant amount of tutoring/ academic support.

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll be fine. Undergrad Prestige seems to only have an impact if you’re comparing Yale to say UConn (I compared because they’re in the same state). T50 vs T500 undergrad makes no difference. Even at the very top, prestige seems to matter less and less every year.

Reactions: 1 user