Transferring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFaiyaz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it hard to transfer out of a caribbean medical school to a US MD school. I know drexel university accepts transfer students into their 2nd and 3rd year classes, USC accepts students into their 3rd year class. Anyone know of anybody who has transferred. cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Transferring into a med school is much more difficult than getting an acceptance into the first year class. Basically, you are hoping that someone drops out of med school somewhere. I know two 4.0 students who have unsuccessfully tried to transfer. I'm thinking about transfering myself but I know it probably won't happen. Sorry to bum you out.

awdc said:
Transferring into a med school is much more difficult than getting an acceptance into the first year class. Basically, you are hoping that someone drops out of med school somewhere. I know two 4.0 students who have unsuccessfully tried to transfer. I'm thinking about transfering myself but I know it probably won't happen. Sorry to bum you out.
I agree totally with awdc--it is generally very difficult to transfer; it all depends on the attrition rate of the school.

As an example, SUNY Upstate in Syracuse one year accepted 6 or so students from SGU; in recent years, they haven't accepted anyone because their classes have been full.

Still, you never know what may happen unless you try. Good luck, awdc!

DrFaiyaz said:
Is it hard to transfer out of a caribbean medical school to a US MD school. I know drexel university accepts transfer students into their 2nd and 3rd year classes, USC accepts students into their 3rd year class. Anyone know of anybody who has transferred. cheers

I know of one student who transferred this year from Ross to a school in the U.S. (won't say which one to protect his/her privacy). But, suffice it to say that this student was beginning the fourth year with Ross, had already taken Step 1 last year and done well, and was accepted into his/her new class at the beginning of second year. That's right - a two-year "penalty".

If you ask me, it's (1) not likely to transfer and (2) not worth it if this is the kind of thing you have to go through.

-Skip