transfers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otaibi

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in hearing from anybody who managed to transfer from a DO program to an MD one, or someone who knows one who did that.

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in hearing from anybody who managed to transfer from an MD program to a DO one, or someone who knows one who did that.

Reactions: 1 user
otaibi:

This is a very risky issue to talk about as it may be perceived that you are looking to abandon your profession. I am willing to give you the benifit of the doubt and assume that you have valid reasons for wanting to transfer from one med school to another (ie. family member is sick). If it isn't a valid reason such as this, the school will see right through you. Do remember that the type of physician you become is not determined by the letters after your name, rather a relentless desire to be the best doc in your field.

One last note, transfers are also rare because schools don't want to develop a reputation for stealing students from other institutions.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Derek (edited 12-31-98).]

There were a couple of people from UHS that transferred to their state schools based on cost (UHS can be a bit pricey, and the four years they pay for at their state school totalled less than their next year at UHS).

Of course, most schools aren't big on this, since you knew the cost of the school when you enrolled. That's why most of the people "transferring" actually ended up dropping out of their first school (UHS) and being accepted as a first year student into their state school.

Just make sure you've got a rational explanation for transferring before you begin the process.

sola