Transgender M-2. What do I need to consider when applying for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You clearly never had someone ram the ER entrance with a car because "My mom needs an MRI stat" or have a 10 gang bangers yelling outside the CT "why is this taking so long , speed it up or we're do it for you"
Those are the more extreme cases but bottom line is the same. Radiology is conjoined with the ER , it's high pressure and patients will go ballistic over the smallest detail - not a good place to stand out.
Dude. Are you a medical student really? Your thread about self monitored vigilante care is already one of the dumbest things I've ever read. And now you are clearly demonstrating you have no clue what a radiologist does. Those are not issues a PHYSICIAN deals with. All they do it sit in the room and read the study. Nurses, CT techs, patient care techs, and I guess security would have to deal with the "gang bangers" and whatever stupid hypothetical you're alluding to. 90% of radiologists literally never speak to a patient.

Please just stop. For the love of all that is good.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users

Look dude , IDK what world you live in but being a radiologist doesn't put you in a patientless glass bubble. While it's true that your staff has to do most of the work you will have to go to the ER on a regular basis and you will be confronted by hyped up patients or families. Sure security might be able to handle it if you're in Mount Sinai like hospital but you don't know where she'll end up and you do have to take into account all sides. While the events I described will happen just a few times per year verbal abuse is quite common . Imagine having a deeply religious wahabi as her patient , the family is angry that they waited two hours for an MRI , nothing good will come out of it.

Here's just the latest examples of how hot things can get in radiology :
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-battering-doctor-treating-sister-Russia.html

Look dude , IDK what world you live in but being a radiologist doesn't put you in a patientless glass bubble. While it's true that your staff has to do most of the work you will have to go to the ER on a regular basis and you will be confronted by hyped up patients or families. Sure security might be able to handle it if you're in Mount Sinai like hospital but you don't know where she'll end up and you do have to take into account all sides. While the events I described will happen just a few times per year verbal abuse is quite common . Imagine having a deeply religious wahabi as her patient , the family is angry that they waited two hours for an MRI , nothing good will come out of it.

Our radiologist have never even stepped into the CT/XR areas of the ER in the 5 years I've worked at my hospital..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-battering-doctor-treating-sister-Russia.html
Daily mail? Why don't you just quote the national enquirer? I heard Brad and Angelina split again. And are you from a different country? In the US patients do not see the physician reading their study (unless it's an interventional procedure maybe). This is true for the ED, clinic, hospital, whatever. Stop derailing the thread.

Reactions: 1 users
You clearly never had someone ram the ER entrance with a car because "My mom needs an MRI stat" or have a 10 gang bangers yelling outside the CT "why is this taking so long , speed it up or we're do it for you"
Those are the more extreme cases but bottom line is the same. Radiology is conjoined with the ER , it's high pressure and patients will go ballistic over the smallest detail - not a good place to stand out.
Whenever you post, you should start off saying you're a Euro.

As others have pointed out, where you go will make a huge difference. Definitely recommend the West Coast, there's plenty of super tolerant and awesome programs there. Don't let the prejudiced people out there hold you back. If you want to do neurosurgery/plastics/derm/etc and have the scores for it, go for it. I know a transgender med student in CA and she's awesome, I think she's planning on going into surgery last I checked. I guarantee that she'll end up at a great program since she's insanely smart and any program would be foolish not to scoop her up. Work hard (as everyone should), apply broadly, and feel places out during interviews and through the grapevine. Doing aways at places that you have an interest in will give you the best idea of how you'll be treated, of course. Best of luck with everything!

You are an extremely bad troll.

1. Go into Endocrinology
2. Become expert on transgender HRT
3. Write book
4. Become rich and famous

You can thank me later.

1. Go into Endocrinology
2. Become expert on transgender HRT
3. Write book
4. Become rich and famous

You can thank me later.

Haha this is a legit option. Except for the 4th part. I don't think that will happen from a book.

Haha this is a legit option. Except for the 4th part. I don't think that will happen from a book.
Well, the book will lead to you being a guest on Oprah, then you'll be on the news, and eventually you'll get your own tv show like Dr. Oz.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a residency coordinator for OBGYN. We just interviewed our first transgender applicant and she was treated like everyone else. From what I understand, she felt that she would fit in better in programs where their institutions are very LGBQT friendly, which would be in larger more liberal based areas. Good luck to you!

I don't know if Thomas Jefferson University has residency programs in the fields you are considering, but I strongly recommend looking into them. They are very LGBQT-friendly and supportive.
super happy to hear this, as a queer woman prepping for med school. i'm strongly considering Jefferson, and have heard nothing but great things and comments about a positive/supportive atmosphere. i've been in Philly for 6 years and there is a wonderful queer community here including many trans people.

pardon my ignorance, but if your voice gives it away instantly, why not just dress like a guy for interview day? Noone will know. Pull some mulan sh^t
how would you then suggest bridging the gap between the "guy" they met at the interview and the woman who shows up to start her residency? you don't play "dress up" to pretend to be someone you're not in order to obtain a position that you could ultimately be highly uncomfortable and unwelcome in. this is entirely beside the point and i would suggest you do some research to further understand what transgender people experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Radiology is always a nasty place , patients come undiagnosed and are either on the edge or sedated. Family of patients are even worse , they'd always almost start a riot then wait their turn. Just my experience.
When I did radiology at my school, the CT/MRI/X-ray people didn't see a single patient, the U/S attendings would pop in to the patient room if they felt like they wanted to get a better angle on something. Fluoro and IR were the only ones in the room with a patient for more than 60 seconds.

I am really disappointed to read some of the ridiculous comments on this thread. MissBunny is asking for advice and some of you have turned this into a joke. Applying for residency is hard, but for someone to say "that her being transgender is an additional issue" is outrageous. The most important thing for her to focus on is her application - transcript, board scores, letters of recommendation. Our transgender applicant was ranked on her application, period! There was nothing extra added/detracted from her application because of her sexual identity. I came on this forum years ago because there is so much wrong information that is written on this thread, but I am saddened by the attitudes of some of the posters. Residency is hard, interviewing is hard, no one cares that you gave up your life, because those that interviewed you did it too. You may be highly visible, strong at your medical school, but once you match, you are the same as everyone else. No more everyone gets a trophy. This is real life now. You think you have worked hard up until now, wait until you get into residency. You need to be supportive each instead of tearing each other down.

I am really disappointed to read some of the ridiculous comments on this thread. MissBunny is asking for advice and some of you have turned this into a joke. Applying for residency is hard, but for someone to say "that her being transgender is an additional issue" is outrageous. The most important thing for her to focus on is her application - transcript, board scores, letters of recommendation. Our transgender applicant was ranked on her application, period! There was nothing extra added/detracted from her application because of her sexual identity. I came on this forum years ago because there is so much wrong information that is written on this thread, but I am saddened by the attitudes of some of the posters. Residency is hard, interviewing is hard, no one cares that you gave up your life, because those that interviewed you did it too. You may be highly visible, strong at your medical school, but once you match, you are the same as everyone else. No more everyone gets a trophy. This is real life now. You think you have worked hard up until now, wait until you get into residency. You need to be supportive each instead of tearing each other down.
I don't exactly understand what your issue is? There seemed to be a lot of good advice here.

I don't exactly understand what your issue is? There seemed to be a lot of good advice here.

There were also some inappropriate responses. That is kinda par for the SDN course, and is just one of those things that some of us become so inured to that it is easy to discount it. But outside of an anonymous forum, one hopes that professionals would not behave toward one another in the way that they often do here.

Applying for residency is hard, but for someone to say "that her being transgender is an additional issue" is outrageous.

No it is not at all outrageous. It is almost categorically, without a doubt, correct.

Whether or not that's fair is another story.

I'm glad you think you were able to see past it in your ranking of your "transgender applicant" (the label of which makes it clear that it IS an additional issue itself), but at many (if not most) places, it will be "an additional issue." It's just one more thing that goes into the equation. What people do with that information may vary wildly.

Sadly, too many people let their subjectiveness guide objective issues. If you can do the job, and do it well, what does it matter? It shouldn't, but will to some. I want my doctor to be good at what they do. I couldn't care less about their private life or morals. However, some people would rather have a low grade/mediocre doctor that is a saint perform brain surgery on them as opposed to a world class doctor that likes to drink and gamble in their private life. As some have pointed out already, I would guess geography would play a large role in whether it is a big issue or not.

Hi there,

While not the same situation, I have experience as a gay M4 who just finished the application and interview process (for EM). Transgendered persons have unfortunately not gained the same level of acceptance as cisgendered gays and lesbians, which really sucks. I do think that by choosing the programs that you apply to, you can really maximize your chances of landing a spot that you want and wants you back. I thought for a long time about whether or not to put President of ABCUniversity LGBT-related club on my application, but I ended up putting it on there, just as a way to weed out places that would not want me there. I think it came up twice during my 15 interviews. I got more questions about being a DO student. As many others have said, it's important to find a program that is open to people who are different. It would take a long time, but looking on the university or program website and looking at their diversity/non-discrimination statement to see what is included is a good start. Does it include sexual orientation and gender identity or just the things required by law? That doesn't mean you won't find places or individuals that consciously or subconsciously discriminate based on your gender identity, but I think it's a good starting point. There are many programs that are far more considered with your credentials than what gender you identify with, but unfortunately you will find places that haven't caught up yet. Ultimately, it's going to be up to you to find places that like you for who you are. I dont at all think you should limit yourself to specialties where you think you'll be more accepted. You've gone through the transition process which certainly shows you have thick skin and should be an asset to wherever you end up practicing.

Good Luck!

Please don't let transphobia dictate the rest of your career. Choose something you like and where you feel like you can make the greatest impact.

Work harder than the cis kids in school. Score higher than the cis kids on Step. Be a consummate professional. Apply to programs in progressive states. Be a great doctor. We need trans women in all fields of medicine.

Apply to Jefferson. I'm a 4th year there. Our family medicine program has one of the best LGBQT clinic. I don't know how the rest of the specialties are, but in that clinic, all the staff is trained on how to provide compassionate care to all, and they strive to have everything transgender friendly, from forms, to making sure transgender patients get their hormone therapy if hospitalized.

Edit: Indeed, even within this thread we see that it isn't the transgender people who went low / vulgar / inappropriate: Reference Sansa's rude comment or the quote below where the poster requested pictures of OP. I can't tell you how annoying it is to be simultaneously objectified while also being assumed to be sexually transgressive simply for wanting to mind our business and go about our own lives.
Are you new to the internet? It's like a running gag. Every time someone says they are a female/attractive someone requests pics. Joking is not the same as "going low/vulgar/inappropriate."

Are you new to the internet? It's like a running gag. Every time someone says they are a female/attractive someone requests pics. Joking is not the same as "going low/vulgar/inappropriate."

No you don't understand, I am very offended and take myself incredibly seriously on the internet.

No, I'm not new here. I've been online since before there was a WWW, back when we thought telneting into another computer to FTP some files over was just amazing tech.

While I get that this is still the internet, it is also presumably a community of professionals and professionals to be. It isn't too much to expect better behavior here. That you defend what amounts to catcalling as just having fun tells me for sure that you've never had to deal with it from the receiving end.

No, I'm not new here. I've been online since before there was a WWW, back when we thought telneting into another computer to FTP some files over was just amazing tech.

While I get that this is still the internet, it is also presumably a community of professionals and professionals to be. It isn't too much to expect better behavior here. That you defend what amounts to catcalling as just having fun tells me for sure that you've never had to deal with it from the receiving end.
The point is that it's not cat calling. That shows either a severe misunderstanding of the internet or you're just another one of these triggered social justice warriors without a grip of reality looking to be offended at every turn.

The point is that it's not cat calling. That shows either a severe misunderstanding of the internet or you're just another one of these triggered social justice warriors without a grip of reality looking to be offended at every turn.

Calling me a triggered social justice warrior is an attempt to discredit me and my point via ad hominem. I guess you need to go there when your best defense for rude behavior is that it is 4 the lulz.

Calling me a triggered social justice warrior is an attempt to discredit me and my point via ad hominem. I guess you need to go there when your best defense for rude behavior is that it is 4 the lulz.
You're discredited by your own actions. You're taking yourself way too seriously over a joke. This is the problem with our current culture. The intent of people no longer matters. What matters is only if you can twist things to be offended by it. By the wording of OP, it was clearly meant as a joke. You are a triggered SJW, but I'm not saying that's why you're wrong. I'm saying you're wrong reveals you're being a triggered SJW.

Ofcourse it might not be an appropriate reaction to be "triggered" by small remarks but remember that these are people who have faced hardships and possibly trauma in their lives so things become much more sensitive. It's like rubbing a bit of salt on someone's open wound and saying why the hell are you overreacting so much? It doesn't hurt me at all when someone does it to me.

Now there's another group of people who may even be a slight majority. These are just individuals with mental health issues who latch on to a cause and decide to vent their own anger and problems through it in the form of shrill, belligerent, and indignant cries. Those people not only work to alienate allies of transgender people, but also give us a bad reputation.

This being the internet, I don't think you can distinguish between the two so you should be careful about calling someone a triggered SJW. Personally I haven't been bothered by any replies on this thread so far and I hope that if I ever meet any of you in real life, you can judge me as a person rather than the stereotypes that my gender identity is associated with.

Ofcourse it might not be an appropriate reaction to be "triggered" by small remarks but remember that these are people who have faced hardships and possibly trauma in their lives so things become much more sensitive. It's like rubbing a bit of salt on someone's open wound and saying why the hell are you overreacting so much? It doesn't hurt me at all when someone does it to me.

Now there's another group of people who may even be a slight majority. These are just individuals with mental health issues who latch on to a cause and decide to vent their own anger and problems through it in the form of shrill, belligerent, and indignant cries. Those people not only work to alienate allies of transgender people, but also give us a bad reputation.

This being the internet, I don't think you can distinguish between the two so you should be careful about calling someone a triggered SJW. Personally I haven't been bothered by any replies on this thread so far and I hope that if I ever meet any of you in real life, you can judge me as a person rather than the stereotypes that my gender identity is associated with.
The world is not here to coddle you. If you think it is, you're going to have a hard time existing. That said, if I find out something bothers someone, personally I avoid that topic. However, when someone brings it up the first time joking around, that sensitive person should have the common sense to realize the other person wasn't trying to offend them and should not go off on them about how offensive and what not it was. A simple "can you not say that to me? It's a sensitive issue" goes a long way.

Surprises me that LA is less liberal than Detroit
If you're going to look at Detroit, you might as well think about Ann Arbor. Probably one of the most liberal cities in the entire country.

Please comport yourself directly to an eternal inferno and remain there indefinitely.

Thanks.

I'm really sorry that was said to you. I'm happy the threshold for that person no longer being part of these boards was finally reached.

In our very first day of the clinical aspect to my NP school before we had started seeing patients we had a lecture on LGBTQI patient care from a clinician from Chicago who focuses on that population. They wanted us to know how to talk to people right out of the gate. I was very pleased my school is progressive and inclusive.