Transgender M-2. What do I need to consider when applying for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlatIsJustice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a transgender (MTF). I pass easily as a fairly good looking female, but my voice gives me away instantly.

I'm interested in applying for Pathology and Radiology but I'm not sure what I should take into consideration when choosing residencies.

How much discrimination will I face?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a transgender (MTF). I pass easily as a fairly good looking female, but my voice gives me away instantly.

I'm interested in applying for Pathology and Radiology but I'm not sure what I should take into consideration when choosing residencies.

Your situation is of course somewhat rare in medicine, so it's hard to predict with any certainty how individual programs will react. Of course, the programs that react negatively towards it are not the ones that you want to be going to regardless. So in a way, while the anti-LGBT discrimination is painful and unacceptable, it has a perverse benefit in weeding out the programs that you don't want to go to anyway.

You're certainly better off in path/rads than in surgery/subspecialty. Look for hospitals and/or programs that have strong LGBT health initiatives with buy-in from faculty - do some scouring on the websites of programs that you're interested in. My hospital, for example, is pretty LGBT friendly and has a large contingent of LGB (unfortunately no transgender residents that I know of) residents in many specialties - including the surgical subspecialties - who have not faced any issues.

Bottom line, apply broadly, with a geographic bias towards places that are more LGBT friendly (the coasts, large cities, college towns). If you do encounter issues with it, tell that program to go f*** themselves (in your mind), and try and find a place that will accept you for the badass resident that you can be, not for something that is, frankly, none of their damn business.

Reactions: 9 users
Your situation is of course somewhat rare in medicine, so it's hard to predict with any certainty how individual programs will react. Of course, the programs that react negatively towards it are not the ones that you want to be going to regardless. So in a way, while the anti-LGBT discrimination is painful and unacceptable, it has a perverse benefit in weeding out the programs that you don't want to go to anyway.

You're certainly better off in path/rads than in surgery/subspecialty. Look for hospitals and/or programs that have strong LGBT health initiatives with buy-in from faculty - do some scouring on the websites of programs that you're interested in. My hospital, for example, is pretty LGBT friendly and has a large contingent of LGB (unfortunately no transgender residents that I know of) residents in many specialties - including the surgical subspecialties - who have not faced any issues.

Bottom line, apply broadly, with a geographic bias towards places that are more LGBT friendly (the coasts, large cities, college towns). If you do encounter issues with it, tell that program to go f*** themselves (in your mind), and try and find a place that will accept you for the badass resident that you can be, not for something that is, frankly, none of their damn business.

Is there any way of finding out if a program is worth going to interview for so I don't have to waste money interviewing at places that aren't very LGBT friendly?

Are there certain specialties that might be more friendly to transgender people than others?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way of finding out if a program is worth going to interview for so I don't have to waste money interviewing at places that aren't very LGBT friendly?

Are there certain specialties that might be more friendly to transgender people than others?

More friendly: peds, psych, FM, probably path/rads to some degree.

Less friendly: gen surg, ortho, nsgy, etc.

Hard to give some sort of blanket statement though because there's going to be a lot of variation amongst programs when it comes to which ones are going to be accepting and which aren't.

The best thing you can do to figure this out is talk to other LGBT faculty and residents at your med school, ask them which programs were accepting and which weren't. Reach out to your connections within and outside of the school. Medicine is a relatively small field and LGBT people within medicine are smaller still, so reach out to who you can and ask. See if your specialty organizations have any LGBT sections or physicians who specialize in the care of the LGBT patient and get involved with them. There's also a LGBT forum on here that is reasonably active - reach out to those people.

I think the bottom line is don't isolate yourself and try and go at residency alone. Develop networks and connections with people who you trust who can help you find programs and people who will be welcoming to you. Residency applications (and residency once you get there) is stressful enough, even more so being LGBT in a pretty conservative field. So make sure you're not alone, find people who will be there with you and for you and then focus on what you can influence - being as strong an applicant as possible irrespective of your sexuality, gender identity, etc.

Reactions: 2 users

Not sure about specialties but Location wise definitely check out Washington, DC.

More friendly: peds, psych, FM, probably path/rads to some degree.

Less friendly: gen surg, ortho, nsgy, etc.
IME: Peds - parents have a tendency to freak out about just about anything...

Surgery: Everyone is too tired to care
Ortho: everyone is so afraid of looking like a meathead nowadays no one will say anything...

Reactions: 3 users
Strongly suggest avoiding the state of North Carolina.

And good luck!

Thanks! Why might you suggest avoiding NC?

IME: Peds - parents have a tendency to freak out about just about anything...

Surgery: Everyone is too tired to care
Ortho: everyone is so afraid of looking like a meathead nowadays no one will say anything...

How about EM?

Tough road ahead regardless

I haven't faced any overt discrimination thus far so the unknowns of what awaits me is scary. Assuming I find an accepting residency what other issues can I preempt?

The Republicans in the state government are virulently anti-LGBT. The make Texas look like CA.

There is an LGBT forum here...might be worth inquiring in there.

Thanks! Why might you suggest avoiding NC?

How about EM?

I haven't faced any overt discrimination thus far so the unknowns of what awaits me is scary. Assuming I find an accepting residency what other issues can I preempt?

Members don't see this ad :)
How about EM?
EM would be hit or miss. Most EM docs don't care but I have heard plenty of them not being too supportive on the topic. I'd be more worried about the EM nurses/staff and more importantly our patient population which are mostly lesser income, lesser educated and highly offensive unless you practice in a rich area where you deal with higher income, higher educated and still highly offensive. Whatever you decide: best of luck to you.

I don't think you can rule out any specialty (despite the anti-surgery comments above). Surgeons may be "too tired to care" but they're also too busy and blasé to care, like most other specialties. In fact, your experience may make you a wonderful asset in several surgical specialties (I see about 1-2 FTM patients in my practice a year).

The biggest concern, as others have pointed out, is location. There are communities in the US that are more receptive/experienced and you'll find more support there. More important than specialty, IMHO.

Did you choose those two because of less patient interaction because of being trans? Will you genuinely enjoy them?

A general idea of where to look would be to consider blue states for the most part. Avoid anywhere with one of the anti-trans bathroom laws if you can. The doctors might be moving from around the country, but the rest of the staff and patients are going to be local and reflective of local politics. So avoid the bible belt, midwest, and if you are into the rural thing, consider both applying for the US match and looking to Canada.

EM would be hit or miss. Most EM docs don't care but I have heard plenty of them not being too supportive on the topic. I'd be more worried about the EM nurses/staff and more importantly our patient population which are mostly lesser income, lesser educated and highly offensive unless you practice in a rich area where you deal with higher income, higher educated and still highly offensive. Whatever you decide: best of luck to you.
Remarkably accurate assessment.

Though a little more difficult, you can do whatever you want to do. There is a transgender surgeon outside of Philly who does gender reassignment surgeries. DO transgender plastic surgeon. Started off as a Navy Doc doing a GMO as a male. Got out, started her transition during her gen surgery residency, then did a plastics fellowship, and tailored her training/practice to how she wanted it to be.

http://www.drchristinemcginn.com/drmcginn/

Reactions: 5 users
Though a little more difficult, you can do whatever you want to do. There is a transgender surgeon outside of Philly who does gender reassignment surgeries. DO transgender plastic surgeon. Started off as a Navy Doc doing a GMO as a male. Got out, started her transition during her gen surgery residency, then did a plastics fellowship, and tailored her training/practice to how she wanted it to be.

http://www.drchristinemcginn.com/drmcginn/

Whoa

I would think that if you got into med school that should be a hint that there are many accepting people and should be no different for residency.

Serious question... can someone identify as a minority and improve chances of getting into med school?

Serious question... can someone identify as a minority and improve chances of getting into med school?

Hasn't this been asked before countless times in the context of race?

What do you think the answer is?

Ime em people tend to be super chill, laid back, and drink almost as much as orthopods. Not a big sample size and the exception are peds ed docs whom are a nasty group, but jmho.

Ime em people tend to be super chill, laid back, and drink almost as much as orthopods. Not a big sample size and the exception are peds ed docs whom are a nasty group, but jmho.

As Winged Scapula said, OPs best bet is going to be 100% location. The two EM groups I've worked with would have not been receptive to this at all and they were all still considered very "chill". This wasn't even the south either. Although I agree with not going NSG or Ortho.

As Winged Scapula said, OPs best bet is going to be 100% location. The two EM groups I've worked with would have not been receptive to this at all and they were all still considered very "chill". This wasn't even the south either. Although I agree with not going NSG or Ortho.

If my application isn't super competitive is there a chance I just won't be able to match anywhere?

http://roygbiv.jezebel.com/the-next-top-doctor-in-pennsylvania-is-a-transgender-wo-1680606632

There are more transgender people in medicine than you think. Some of us figured out that the only way we could be completely assured of having competent, compassionate physicians for our community was to become those folks ourselves. I'm FTM, and I'm an MS-II also right now. I left a really good career to go to medical school at 37, because several doctors refused to provide care for me or for other trans people saying that they "just weren't comfortable" providing medical care for someone with our "issues." One in particular said that to someone I cared about and I kinda blew a gasket and registered the very next day to take the MCAT.

Pick your specialty based on your passion, and don't sell yourself short. Go do audition rotations at programs that you think that you would like to train at. Let them get a chance to meet you and work with you and see your work ethic and your potential, and your gender won't be the most important thing that they know about you. And with that in mind, I've found that if I don't make my gender a big deal, other people don't either. You mentioned that you "pass." That is a privilege that not everyone has, and yet it doesn't really matter that much. If you act like your gender history is something to be ashamed of, or that you need to hide, other people will be more likely to pick up on that and treat it the same way. If you move past it to focus on the things that matter, that is acquisition of a strong base of medical knowledge and genuine compassion, professionalism and total focus on the patient and doing the right thing for them... yeah, your gender becomes basically irrelevant. Medicine isn't about the doctor, after all, but about the patient. Keep your focus there and you cannot go wrong.

I've been at this (being gender variant) a bit longer than you, and I can tell you that a little humor goes a long way. One day, a fellow nurse teased me when I was running up the hallway. "Dude. You run like a girl!" I was like, golly, why do you think that might be? And we laughed it off... after he realized that I wasn't going to tear him to pieces or report him to HR. Even people who don't want to discriminate against us for religious or transphobic reasons, can still be uncomfortable around us because they are so afraid that they are going to screw up and say something / do something offensive. That makes them feel anxiety around us, and being a cause of someone's anxiety is a bad way to make them want to have you around. So, again, I say... the more chill you can be, the more you can put other people at ease in whatever way you find that works for you to do that, the less they will feel "uncomfortable" dealing with our "issues."

More urban is going to be easier than more rural, pretty much across the board. That has less to do with the physicians, who will likely have been drawn from all over the place, than with the hospital staff, who may have never lived anywhere but their one little podunk.

Right now, you need to be focusing on getting the best board scores that you can. You need to tear those exams up, just like any other student who wants to be competitive. I'm going FM all the way, because that is where I feel that I can do the most good for the communities that I want to serve. And I have some strong preferences about geography, etc. So, there are particular residencies that I want. I'm aiming for an 85th percentile board score for my first exam. Some would say that is overkill for FM, that I just need to pass. But it is always wise to be better than the minimum. And my high goal is achievable. It is just a matter of putting in the hours of study and staying keenly focused. If I do fall short by a few points, I'll still be in a much better situation than if I was just aiming to pass and only barely managed it.

Every time my motivations starts to flag or I feel like slacking off, I just recite to myself the names of the doctors who refused to provide basic medical care to me and to my loved ones. And I remember that they, and other bigots like them, aren't going away. Injustice doesn't just go away. It is driven out by the efforts of those who love fairness and human dignity. Keep something like that, some touchstone that imbues you with the energy you need to just keep going forward. Look to heroes and heroines, like Dr. Rachel Levine, like Dr. Nick Gorton, like Dr. Christine McGinn. Heck, write to them, reach out and tell them that they are inspirations and that you would appreciate their mentorship and support, if you need that. Just keep your spirits up and keep moving forward.

But yeah, what I'm doing is otherwise not really different than what any student is doing to prepare for residency. Research residencies. Seek to do rotations at the sites of the residencies you are most interested in. Go to conferences if possible in the specialty of interest to you and meet program directors. Do well on your exams. Be an exemplary student and member of your community so that you find yourself with people willing to go to bat for you. None of this is any different than any student should do. You will find your right place.

Edit: It should go without saying, but if I can be useful to you, or if you just want to connect with someone else who might get where you are coming from, hit me up. I'm not always fast to respond, but I will get back to you. You get that... especially with boards coming up. But I am doing this whole med school thing because I do genuinely care about other human beings and want to be helpful whenever I can. That is really a standing invite to anyone who needs it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
I don't know if Thomas Jefferson University has residency programs in the fields you are considering, but I strongly recommend looking into them. They are very LGBQT-friendly and supportive.

Stereotypical perhaps but there may be something to avoiding programs with a high number of "bros"/"brahs" when MTF.

Absolutely. Go for it champ!

Lol.

I almost responded to Sansa, but decided it wasn't worth it. Since you went there...

Yeah, I don't think that identifying as trans is a plus when applying for anything. It has been basically legal to discriminate against us in many jurisdictions. The Justice Department under Obama made it clear that they would consider such discrimination to fall under discrimination based on sex, which is illegal. However, many states and the incoming administration seem hell bent on reversing that.

Despite having a strong application and several mentors / personal champions on the faculty, I couldn't apply to Pitt's med school because the parent university had a policy that transgender people had to use the restroom on their birth certificate. (I was born in a state which does not allow that to ever be changed, no matter what. So, mine will always say "female," as will all of my other legal documentation.) Pitt expelled a good friend of mine for attempting to use the men's locker room. If I followed that policy, I would have had to go to the women's room. I'm a dumpy middle aged bald guy with a lot of scruff on my face. If I walked into a women's room, I'd be assumed to be a creeper. But the school had demonstrated that they would expel me if they caught me using the men's room. Rather than have to deal with that fight, I chose to go to a different school with no formal policy on the matter. I've had no difficulty using the correct facilities here.

Pitt recently changed their policy, but only as a condition of settling the lawsuit with my friend, who lost a full ride scholarship, substantial future income, and several years of his career to legal battles with the university. One does not wish to engage in legal battles with one's medical school. That does not end well, for anyone.

So, if you are going to try to up your chances of acceptance by claiming some minority status, maybe don't pick a minority that is a target for individual and institutional discrimination, which has few advocates and is widely misunderstood and inexplicably feared. Oh... and assumed by many, including many physicians and academics who really should know better, to be floridly mentally ill. Or simultaneously fetishized and assumed to be some kind of pervert. Yeah, layering on some deep stigma is totes not a way to make your application look more appealing to adcoms. As OP suggested, try that and let us know how it goes for you.

Reactions: 10 users
http://roygbiv.jezebel.com/the-next-top-doctor-in-pennsylvania-is-a-transgender-wo-1680606632

There are more transgender people in medicine than you think. Some of us figured out that the only way we could be completely assured of having competent, compassionate physicians for our community was to become those folks ourselves. I'm FTM, and I'm an MS-II also right now. I left a really good career to go to medical school at 37, because several doctors refused to provide care for me or for other trans people saying that they "just weren't comfortable" providing medical care for someone with our "issues." One in particular said that to someone I cared about and I kinda blew a gasket and registered the very next day to take the MCAT.

Pick your specialty based on your passion, and don't sell yourself short. Go do audition rotations at programs that you think that you would like to train at. Let them get a chance to meet you and work with you and see your work ethic and your potential, and your gender won't be the most important thing that they know about you. And with that in mind, I've found that if I don't make my gender a big deal, other people don't either. You mentioned that you "pass." That is a privilege that not everyone has, and yet it doesn't really matter that much. If you act like your gender history is something to be ashamed of, or that you need to hide, other people will be more likely to pick up on that and treat it the same way. If you move past it to focus on the things that matter, that is acquisition of a strong base of medical knowledge and genuine compassion, professionalism and total focus on the patient and doing the right thing for them... yeah, your gender becomes basically irrelevant. Medicine isn't about the doctor, after all, but about the patient. Keep your focus there and you cannot go wrong.

I've been at this (being gender variant) a bit longer than you, and I can tell you that a little humor goes a long way. One day, a fellow nurse teased me when I was running up the hallway. "Dude. You run like a girl!" I was like, golly, why do you think that might be? And we laughed it off... after he realized that I wasn't going to tear him to pieces or report him to HR. Even people who don't want to discriminate against us for religious or transphobic reasons, can still be uncomfortable around us because they are so afraid that they are going to screw up and say something / do something offensive. That makes them feel anxiety around us, and being a cause of someone's anxiety is a bad way to make them want to have you around. So, again, I say... the more chill you can be, the more you can put other people at ease in whatever way you find that works for you to do that, the less they will feel "uncomfortable" dealing with our "issues."

More urban is going to be easier than more rural, pretty much across the board. That has less to do with the physicians, who will likely have been drawn from all over the place, than with the hospital staff, who may have never lived anywhere but their one little podunk.

Right now, you need to be focusing on getting the best board scores that you can. You need to tear those exams up, just like any other student who wants to be competitive. I'm going FM all the way, because that is where I feel that I can do the most good for the communities that I want to serve. And I have some strong preferences about geography, etc. So, there are particular residencies that I want. I'm aiming for an 85th percentile board score for my first exam. Some would say that is overkill for FM, that I just need to pass. But it is always wise to be better than the minimum. And my high goal is achievable. It is just a matter of putting in the hours of study and staying keenly focused. If I do fall short by a few points, I'll still be in a much better situation than if I was just aiming to pass and only barely managed it.

Every time my motivations starts to flag or I feel like slacking off, I just recite to myself the names of the doctors who refused to provide basic medical care to me and to my loved ones. And I remember that they, and other bigots like them, aren't going away. Injustice doesn't just go away. It is driven out by the efforts of those who love fairness and human dignity. Keep something like that, some touchstone that imbues you with the energy you need to just keep going forward. Look to heroes and heroines, like Dr. Rachel Levine, like Dr. Nick Gorton, like Dr. Christine McGinn. Heck, write to them, reach out and tell them that they are inspirations and that you would appreciate their mentorship and support, if you need that. Just keep your spirits up and keep moving forward.

But yeah, what I'm doing is otherwise not really different than what any student is doing to prepare for residency. Research residencies. Seek to do rotations at the sites of the residencies you are most interested in. Go to conferences if possible in the specialty of interest to you and meet program directors. Do well on your exams. Be an exemplary student and member of your community so that you find yourself with people willing to go to bat for you. None of this is any different than any student should do. You will find your right place.

Edit: It should go without saying, but if I can be useful to you, or if you just want to connect with someone else who might get where you are coming from, hit me up. I'm not always fast to respond, but I will get back to you. You get that... especially with boards coming up. But I am doing this whole med school thing because I do genuinely care about other human beings and want to be helpful whenever I can. That is really a standing invite to anyone who needs it.

Thanks for the tips! I really is comforting to know someone else is going through the same thing as I am, and I hope that we can both some day help future med students who are going through this as well.

Have you spoken to any advisors in your school? What's your gut instinct about how we might fare during residency applications? Do you think we will need to do much better on step 1 to be considered for the same positions?

Thanks for the tips! I really is comforting to know someone else is going through the same thing as I am, and I hope that we can both some day help future med students who are going through this as well.

Have you spoken to any advisors in your school? What's your gut instinct about how we might fare during residency applications? Do you think we will need to do much better on step 1 to be considered for the same positions?

Well, I'm going for FM, and I'm DO, so I'm taking the COMLEX Level 1, rather than the USMLE step. The residencies that I've spoken with have indicated that as long as I pass, I'm going to be up for consideration. Of course, always the better you can do, the better it will go for you. But in the field I've chosen, good enough is good enough. Also, I have been very up front about being trans with the residency/program directors I met at a recent residency fair, because if I am going to face discrimination, I would like it to happen right out front, rather than after I'm married to a program for 3 years. If I didn't already have a few programs on my radar that I think will be a good destination for me, I'd directly contact the program directors of the programs of interest to me, explain that I'm transgender and concerned about whether their community would be a safe place for me to consider living and training in, and ask straight up if I ought to apply there. That gives them the out to say that they believe their local community might not be accepting, rather than having to tell me to my face that they are bigots. When you give someone an opportunity to save face like that, they can be more honest than if they feel personally put on the spot.

If someone is going to discriminate against you, they are going to, no matter what your board score. You could be sitting on a Step 1 score of 265 applying FM and if the program director thinks that you are an abomination against the natural order, then you aren't getting that seat, which again, is probably best for everyone. Someone else won't feel that way and will be delighted to see a great candidate showing interest in their program. But, the point of that is that I don't think that we have to overcompensate that much. You just want to be competitive.

You want at least whatever is the median for successful matching in the specialty of interest to you. What you don't want is to give anyone an excuse to pass you over, by having a subpar score. As long as everything else about your application is at least average for that specialty, that should be fine. Again, though, that is what any student who wants to be competitive really needs to do. Everyone has something about them that could work against them, if you drill down far enough. So, if there are things that you can't change that might be distracting, at least don't add to that by slacking on any of the areas that are within your control.

My school is working on having more career counselling for students, but none of my mentors has voiced any concern that my transness might be an impediment. I don't make it a thing, so they don't make it a thing. The advice I've given is the advice I've received. Do your best on all your exams, apply sensibly based on what you are competitive for and what is of interest to you, do rotations at sites where you want to do residencies, so you have a chance to audition for them and show them your work ethic and professionalism. That way, you will be interviewing with folks who you've already developed a relationship with. They tell it to everyone, because it is a magic formula that works. I don't worry about making competition for myself by sharing that wisdom because so few people actually take good advice, and so won't do those things. And those that do? Will make great co-residents to work with. =)

If my application isn't super competitive is there a chance I just won't be able to match anywhere?
I honestly think that you can use your status as a rare minority to your advantage. Few people are going to admit this, but being a racial minority, I feel like I have gotten more interviews and acceptances than my peers at the same level of achievement.

Also, say you are a decently skilled plastic surgeon. You could easily become a famous plastic surgeon in your city that people would flock to just because of your difference. Heck, you could probably go on Oprah or something and be famous throughout the country for being a trans plastic surgeon and write a book or something.

Now I'm not trying to downplay the struggle you might be going through. Just pointing out the bright side.

I honestly think that you can use your status as a rare minority to your advantage. Few people are going to admit this, but being a racial minority, I feel like I have gotten more interviews and acceptances than my peers at the same level of achievement.

Also, say you are a decently skilled plastic surgeon. You could easily become a famous plastic surgeon in your city that people would flock to just because of your difference. Heck, you could probably go on Oprah or something and be famous throughout the country for being a trans plastic surgeon and write a book or something.

Now I'm not trying to downplay the struggle you might be going through. Just pointing out the bright side.

While this might be true for race, I don't think we have quite gotten there with gender get. Maybe in 20 years it would be an advantage when applying.

Certain minorities are more sympathetic than others. Schools and other programs can brag about their diversity if they snag a few extra URM folks. That becomes a statistic that they can report as a positive, evidence of progressiveness and outreach.

Nobody is bragging about having trans folks onboard. We are more likely to be targets than magnets, and there are a lot of people who think we shouldn't even exist at all. I've even heard otherwise politically correct, diversity-loving LGB people say that the feel that trans people are just weird and it would be better for everyone if we would just go away.

Not everyone feels that way, and there are pockets of acceptance where we can carve out lives for ourselves... I hesitate to talk about the down sides of being trans, because I don't want to remind my sister here about them, when I'm trying to build her up and assure her that there is a way forward for us. But yeah, no one is falling all over themselves to give us opportunities because it will make their organization look better.

For anatomy we used to all undress and change into scrubs together as a class.

For anatomy we used to all undress and change into scrubs together as a class.

Samesies here. And our locker room doesn't have doors, so if you don't position yourself correctly behind a bank of lockers, random passers by can see you in your skivvies. When the locker room is crowded, sometimes there isn't space to ensure adequate privacy.

Pathology probably not a lot , radiology - tons of it especially from folks with strong anti-gay religious views.

Basically pathology is the way to go , quiet and patients never discriminate . No but seriously anything that has to come in contact with a fair amount of high stress patient is a recipe for violence and misery especially ER and peds .

Forensic medicine is probably a road too.

Where did you get this info about radiology?

Radiology is always a nasty place , patients come undiagnosed and are either on the edge or sedated. Family of patients are even worse , they'd always almost start a riot then wait their turn. Just my experience.

Please stay out of the women's locker room if you have/had a penis.
Never really got this sentiment. I don't really care who sees me change, male/female/gay/straight. If anyone, regardless of gender or sexual preference, is doing something inappropriate then it becomes a concern.

Reactions: 4 users
Radiology is always a nasty place , patients come undiagnosed and are either on the edge or sedated. Family of patients are even worse , they'd always almost start a riot then wait their turn. Just my experience.

I.......I don't think you have any clue what radiology is.

Reactions: 8 users
Never really got this sentiment. I don't really care who sees me change, male/female/gay/straight. If anyone, regardless of gender or sexual preference, is doing something inappropriate then it becomes a concern.

Yeah, the Great Bathroom Panic of 2016 And Beyond is super ridiculous and entirely about using transgender people as political scapegoats to distract from issues that actually matter.

The greatest evidence that it is really a non issue is that we've been going to the correct bathrooms and changing in the correct locker rooms for our confirmed genders for many years with no problems. At least not for non-trans people who share those spaces with us. We mostly, like anyone else, just want to get in, do what we gotta do, and then get out without being harassed. Indeed, we are FAR more likely to be assaulted / spied upon / harassed than we are to do any of those things to anyone else.

Edit: Indeed, even within this thread we see that it isn't the transgender people who went low / vulgar / inappropriate: Reference Sansa's rude comment or the quote below where the poster requested pictures of OP. I can't tell you how annoying it is to be simultaneously objectified while also being assumed to be sexually transgressive simply for wanting to mind our business and go about our own lives.

This is a phenomenon that I have noticed repeatedly... those who are hostile toward us seem to be reacting to projections of their own fears and hang ups, not to anything that is really about us. It wouldn't be so troubling to be their shadowboxing partner, if the punches being thrown weren't so often real and actually harmful.

ayy pics bb

Last edited:
I.......I don't think you have any clue what radiology is.

You clearly never had someone ram the ER entrance with a car because "My mom needs an MRI stat" or have a 10 gang bangers yelling outside the CT "why is this taking so long , speed it up or we're do it for you"
Those are the more extreme cases but bottom line is the same. Radiology is conjoined with the ER , it's high pressure and patients will go ballistic over the smallest detail - not a good place to stand out.