Transition- Undergrad to Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TintaghGal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to how those who are currently in podiatry school found the transition from undergrad to grad in terms of academics??

Members don't see this ad.

Well Pod school is definitely faster paced. The material isn't necessarily harder and if you took some of the classes in undergrad (besides anatomy), you don't go into as much detail but the sheer volume of information is daunting at times. I know at TUSPM the first month or two, they sort of "ease" you into studying. However by the 2nd semester, you are constantly studying or thinking about studying. And because there is usually a quiz or exam every week there is def something to always study for.

of course depending on how well you can retain information or how good your study habits are will affect how much time you spend on studying but definitely there is more information than undergrad at one given time.

Just curious as to how those who are currently in podiatry school found the transition from undergrad to grad in terms of academics??

i had heard the horror stories that med school is "infinitely more" material to learn compared to undergrad, and that "you cover as much in the first week as you did in a whole course in undergrad" kind of thing. i don't think so. its not a lot of super geniuses, its just that the guys who work hard make it, and often the guys who don't work hard won't make it. just go in there and give it your best, most likely you will do fine. try to eliminate as many distractions before you start, such as car tags, getting fully moved in, insurance stuff, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
the way it was explained to me as that undergad is content driven (know this this and this for the exam), whereas med school is time driven, since there's no way you could possibly know all the content for exams. The best strategy is whatever method of studying allows you to assimilate all the main concepts and organize points in your head.

The things that helped me most coming into my frst year was having clinical experience and seeing patients who have had some of the disorders/diseases/conditions discussed in class, and doing a rigorous science degree (biochem) at a school with a ridiculously competitive pre-med program (Iowa). It was rough because EVERYONE in all the bio/chem/physics classes was all trying to get into med school or dental/pharmacy/PT, and Iowa has some of the best programs in the country for those professions.

First year is pretty rough, but you get used to it and it's really not that bad. Its definitely a lifestyle adaptation....

Ya, I think everyone has some nerves. I am still doing my financial stuff :oops: does anyone know how long it took you to get approved and have everything squared away?

Ya, I think everyone has some nerves. I am still doing my financial stuff :oops: does anyone know how long it took you to get approved and have everything squared away?

I think it was less than a day or two.

i had heard the horror stories that med school is "infinitely more" material to learn compared to undergrad, and that "you cover as much in the first week as you did in a whole course in undergrad" kind of thing. i don't think so. its not a lot of super geniuses, its just that the guys who work hard make it, and often the guys who don't work hard won't make it. just go in there and give it your best, most likely you will do fine. try to eliminate as many distractions before you start, such as car tags, getting fully moved in, insurance stuff, etc.

I agree with most of this, however, from my own experience, it is the volume that is a killer.

Thanks for all the posts, everyone has been really insightful. I'm definitely getting anxious as the days wind down, I'm a worrier by nature, which is why I'm concerned about the transition. But I'm sure in time everything will fall into place for all us new podiatry students once we get into a routine.

for me, it was a total change in study habits ...and confidence lol. But to paint a picture .. imagine thick volumes of materials in a short amount of time..and juggling it with your other classes that are equally challenging. This requires some time management discipline for nongeniuses like myself.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5RapBjos3I[/YOUTUBE]

i'm craving IHOP and i don't know why???

I watched that a few weeks ago, and I seriously cannot eat pancakes the same way. I used to relish the buttery goodness, now I see future biochem exams. When I see an IHOP or WaffleHouse, I cringe. It was the regurgitation part, I think. ;)

What do pancakes have to do with podiatry school? Am I missing something or is ther a pancake class haha?

It's just a metaphor for the materials you have to learn in med/pod school