Transitional Year in Detroit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lrg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have information on the Detroit area TY programs - especially the Wayne State, St John and Henry Ford programs? I'm from the Detroit area but went out west for med school and am thinking about going back for a year before doing rads. I have the basic info from FREIDA and their webpages but would appreciate any inside scoop or rumors. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what you're looking for. If you're like most people, you're interested in finding a program that affords a comfortable lifestyle. If that's the case, the best 2 are St. John's and Oakwood. Both are competitive in terms of their cushiness, and as a result, are highly competitive to get in. St. Johns takes 4, Oakwood 10. I think in general, it's best to stay away from Wayne State if you can help it, but again, transitional is transitional, so you won't be in too much trouble there. You will have to work harder though. Same goes for Henry Ford. The nice thing about Ford is the night float system (also in place at Oakwood) and free food (also available at St. John's). From what I remember, I think for medicine at Wayne and St. John's, it would be something like q7, but maybe someone else can correct me on that. However, for me, it's tough to turn down night float, even if it's q4 (Oakwood). Not sure what else I can tell you. I have heard that you should stay away from Providence, although someone told me they took huge steps in making it better for the transitionals.

providence is very malignant towards thier transitional and even im residents. Its' basically all imgs with visa problems. So basically their stabbing each other in the back in order to get a leg up in getting thier contracted removed. wayne state is in opinion one of the best if not the best program in michigan. The Dmc is huge and they have some of the best experts in the world in virtually every field and most of them are great teachers. It get's a bad rap only because it's in a urban enviroment. It's my opinion that if you put wayne state in a suburban enviroment everybody would be speaking of how it's in the top 5 to 10 for everything. Just remember most of the residents don't live in detroit but in the suburbs so it's not as bad as everybody's perception is.