Transitional Years 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2013anes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone preference a TY/prelim med/prelim surg over categorical? It seems like most of the people I have talked to are all about categorical years.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone preference a TY/prelim med/prelim surg over categorical? It seems like most of the people I have talked to are all about categorical years.

IU was my number one, though it technically has a categorical they only take like 4 of the 26 spots. Thus it is essentially an advanced program. So I guess I sort of preferenced an advanced position over categoricals. . .

Members don't see this ad :)
Advanced year programs give people a chance to [see] their g/bf for another year before breaking up and moving to another city. :smuggrin:

Yes, I did. There were a couple of programs where I placed the Advanced & prelim/TY option over the categorical option. I did this when 1) the categorical program was just announced this season and I didn't know what it was really all about (and probably neither did they) 2) I knew the intern year was super intense and the interns got farmed out or scutted out, and 3) If I really liked the advanced program but it was in a not-so-hot location (would rather do my intern year someplace I liked then its only 3 years in the meh location).

I'd heard from enough residents that having a hard intern year wasn't worth it in the end, and that everyone catches up so to speak by the first month or two of CA1 year. So, that, and the fact that I have no attachments gave me the flexibility to choose whether to do an intern year of my choice and then move to my advanced spot or just say to heck with it and stay in one place.

I guess at the end of the day its a very personal choice, but you asked so that's what was going through my head at least.